1999 Volvo S80 Sedan Consumer Reviews 6

1999 Volvo S80 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

1999 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan

View reviews for a specific S80 model:
Buyer Beware
By dummy on 03/26/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

I bought my S80 T6 on eBay (I know-what was I thinking). In the 8 mos. I've had the vehicle, I've dumped over $3000 in repairs. Seems like every time I take it to the shop (which is often) it costs $600. It's really too bad, because this is a great driving car with exceptional comfort and interior features. I won't buy another Volvo because of this, and it's dissapointing.

A stinker amongst the good ones, I guess
By Guswriter on 02/16/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

I've read and heard about all the great, long-lived Volvos. Mine will not be one. Since the very day I picked it up, nothing but troubles. Leaks, squeeks, electrical problems, and a lot of time spent in the shop, including a complete transmission replacement. Fortunately for me, this was purchased as a Certified Used Car ... so it's all covered until I hit 100,000 miles. Well, I still pay 50 bucks everytime I visit the shop. Dealer has been fantastic through it all, though.

It's a Love/Hate Thing
By WaterGirl on 02/09/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

This car was bought used from a reputable Volvo dealer and I love the comfort and performance. But, we've had a lot of problems. A software upgrade to fix all ills: Been there, done that-more than once. The radiator, alternator, battery, engine mounts (twice), some seal thing($$), and the fire box(big $$!)have all been replaced. A rear door has been fixed and lots of small things. Notably some finish work is cheap/marker lights fall out, levers and covers breaking, etc. Very disappointing at 50K but I'd like another one, I hear they've worked out the bugs. (The service guy whispered that the transmissions have been problematic, as well $$$!!)

Volvo for life? Not hardly-
By Ellen C on 01/31/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

To those of you who don't understand complaints many have written-count yourself lucky. I bought mine pre- certified with 18k miles, and 2k miles later the nightmare began. Too many trips to the garage for problems with the emission,electrical and brake systems,etc. Just towed it because it wouldn't go out of park(cable problem). Love driving it when it's not in the shop every 6 weeks,but it has to go! Contacted dealership-value on trade-in is less than half what I paid 2 yrs ago. So much for Volvos retaining their value! Dealership admitted 99 model was released into production before it was ready. My advice-stay away-with or without the extended warranty.

Just shoot it
By Kjo on 01/30/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan

I bought this car because of the impeccable safety record in August 2002 and have had nothing but PROBLEMS since it left the dealership: Door locks and tail lights @ 35K miles; A brand new transmission at 36K miles; An ABS Sensor at 45K miles; Power Steering Lines @ 47K miles; and front suspension replaced at less than 54K miles. Fortuneately all this was under the extended warranty. Learned recently that my 40k car is only worth about 11K. I'm not waiting for the extended warranty to expire next May. I am getting rid of this car NOW.

Over 100,000 miles and Still Like New!
By BigDog on 01/08/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan

I couldn't be any happier! I purchased this car when it was about a year old with 27k miles. I now have 108,000 miles and the thing still runs like new. This is a good solid car and very dependable. With all the mileage I've put on the car, I've replaced one strut tower bushing and that's all! I've had no repairs other than that one item. I've done the regular maintenance at Volvo and it's very reasonably priced. After a 100,000 miles it still has no squeeks or rattles. If I were to buy another S80 I'd go for the T6 version. I drove one and it left me stunned! I couldn't believe the performance on that car! The S80 is a great choice!

Money pit and headaches
By WhyHom on 01/07/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

Small things at first, like bad AM reception on the radio. Even a Kia gets AM radio. Had it in 4 times to get it fixed. Front end kept getting knocked out of alignment, even with no rough driving or potholes. The tires cost $1000 for a set. Then, major stuff started happening. Oil leaks, turbo seals, valves, radiator problem that involved a $900 part. All this before 35000 miles. Engine light keeps going on and the mechanic keeps telling me to ignore it. These headaches don't make up for the fun driving it. Reliability is a big thing to me. I'm buying a Toyota.

Finally a Car I'm Keeping!
By Jay_Adams on 01/06/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new back in '99. This has been my first Volvo and I'm impressed! The performance of this sedan is better than outstanding! The twin turbo's are just amazing! For the first time, I'm truly impressed with a car. Having owned some fine luxury cars throughout the years, nothing stacks up to the T6. With the exception of one small repair, this car has been virtually maintenance free. I paid about $50,000 for this car when I bought it, and I couldn't be any happier with the vehicle. I now have 118,000 miles on the car and it runs so well. I can honestly recommend this vehicle to anyone! This is a very well engineered car!

What a mistake.....
By hannibal on 01/03/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

Happy for those of you who love your S80, this car has been a nightmare for me. It would be fun to drive, except for anticipating the next expensive repair. The car has been in the shop regularly since new, even had to replace the gas tank (of course, 5K miles AFTER warranty expired). Repeated calls and emails over the years to Volvo NA and dealer regarding quality issues have gone unanswered. I will NEVER buy another Volvo, and tell anyone who will listen about my bad experience(s). A shame, because I was really excited about Volvo when I first purchased this car.

Finally a Great Car!
By Nice_One on 12/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

My S80 is a T6 and I just love it! Approaching 80,000 miles and no complaints on this car. One of the nicest cars to drive or to even be a passenger in. So comfortable and so fast! I had a couple initial problems after I bought the car (covered by warranty). The dealer upgraded the software in the car and after that I never had a single problem. Absolutely nothing at all! The dealer says the upgrade is offered free of charge and only has to be done to the car once and never again. Some people just don't get it done and would rather complain about poor reliability. Wake up people, it only takes a few minutes for them to do. This car is great!