Used 1999 Volvo S80 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Volvo S80 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S80 model:

Love the car - hate to fix!
By Jay

1999 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan

Driving this car is bittersweet. It has all the comforts of home with all the bells and whistles and the safety that Volvo is known for. The car looks good, has a smooth ride, it turns heads, and even has a kickin' audio system, but my wallet take a punch to the face when I sit in the waiting room of the service department. Among the thousands I spent in repairs, last week I spent $150 for a simple battery (without the labor cost). When I disconnected the old battery to purchase a new one, my airbag sensor got disabled, and that cost me $85 just to have the technician connect a computer in the dash and press a button to reset it. I had to get rid of it but I do miss it.

Audio controls in the steering wheel and that big sunroof!

Either make it less expensive to fix, or make it more dependable.

Money Pit Stay Away
By ddddam

1999 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

I have had almost anything you can think of done to this car Trans, ABS mod, rack and pin, strunts, oil trap, ball joints, and Im still having computer problems my back seat head rest only flip down when it is cold out and when the car feels like it, about once every two months my turn signals will not work and my air bag light stays on. I will never buy another. Thanks for ruining volvo FORD!

style of it and the gas mileage

This model car needs to be recalled

High Maintenance
By William North

1999 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

Volvo T6 is generally a great car, but... The maintenance required, frequency of failures, and quality (and high price) of parts means I would never have bought it "if I had known." Examples: replaced the computer chip regulating gas flow 3 times (at $600 parts plus labor), replaced the fuel pump twice, same prices.

Provide better quality parts-- guarantee them for at least 24 months, not just 12. Especially when there are so many < 24 month failures!

Drives nicely. Have your wallet ready.
By Eduardo B

1999 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

Enjoy as much as you can when the dash message reads "no messages" because when a message comes it is like a call from nature to a wild animal, but in this case the call it to the dealer. Love the car, great power, handles smoothly, great sound, unbeatable brakes, cockpit like driver sit. Gives me 36.6mpg when i set cruise at 62mph, not only by display but at-the- pump calculation. 0-80 in less than 8sec. Tranny apear to know when im going to need some trust, engages smoothly and turbo kicks in in a dime. I added H2S Xenons w/H7 adapter and the headlamps make a perfect light/dark cut on upper portion of beam. Maintenance cost has been even less than our other vehicle (toyota)

WRX jumps 2 feet ahead from dead start, at 40 s80 is 2 feet ahead and diference grows at a rate of a walking person.

light up the steering wheel controls

Disappointment
By alex

1999 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

Poor reliability, expensive electronics failures some plastic parts don't stand UV, therefore disintegrate, had to replace sway bars, rubber washers under the McPherson, dashbord not user frienfly, on and on and on.

powerful engine, low RPM torque comfortable ride

fire the design team and hire Japanese designers to improve reliability and design logic