Used 1999 Volvo S80 2.9 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Volvo S80 - Consumer Reviews

1999 Volvo S80

View reviews for a specific S80 model:

Finally, an enjoyable car to own!
By BobSellsHomes

1999 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan

To begin with, I've owned an Infiniti Q45, an older Jaguar (1987), two Bmw's and now a Volvo. I bought my S80 back in 1999 which was the first model year for this car. I do not have a single complaint. To date, two recalls have been performed at no charge and that's it! I have right around 55,000 miles on the car and I wouldn't trade it for the world. I love everything about this car! I have yet to see any luxury car that can stand up to the S80, or even come close. As far as safety, there is not a single car that can touch an S80. On a scale of 1 - 10 I give this car an 11. It's a super smooth and solid vehicle! Volvo did great!

Favorite Features

Reliability. Exterior design. I especially love how solid this car is.

I Love My S80
By eyefixer

1999 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan

In 1999 I decided to trade my 1996 Lexus and make the change to the new S80. I am so glad I did. This has to be the best car I have ever owned. The dealer upgraded the cars computer software and I think they also did some sort of recall, but besides that it has been completely trouble free. The maintenance at the Volvo dealership has been extremely cheap to do (especially compared to the high maintenance on the Lexus). I would have to rate this car more dependable than my last Lexus too! The seats in this car are a dream. I can go on and on..... I love driving my S80 every chance I get. It's just such an enjoyable car to own.

Favorite Features

The seats are amazing! The maintenance on the car has cost very little with the Volvo dealer.

Suggested Improvements

Don't change the seats!!! These are the best seats in any car. They beat a Lazy Boy recliner, hands down!

I love this auto.
By speason

1999 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan

I love my car. It has been very reliable. I especially like the Volvo dealers I have dealt with.

Favorite Features

The styling and the handleing

Car is fine, Service is a Killer
By Jackie T

1999 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan

The design of this car is fine, but the service in our area is terrible. We have incurred almost $10,000 in repair costs not including regular maintenance. Thank goodness for the extended warranty. Three of the lights, including one headlight have fallen out! We drove away from a regularly scheduled maintenance without oil! We can't wait to get rid of this car, which is unfortunate. We really like the car, but the cost to maintain is a nightmare. I feel sorry for the poor chap who buys one of these used. We will never buy a Volvo again.

Favorite Features

The look of the car and the interior.

Suggested Improvements

Improved maintenance providers in our area. We only have two dealers in our area and both of them are terrible. The cost to maintain is ridiculous.

Won't Go Back! (To other makes of cars)
By Volvo Family

1999 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan

Bought car after driving a Volvo rental. Just loved it. The car just wants to be driven! It's been in for service for minor things and did get the software updated which solved alot of computer messages. This was first year for this new body style/model and there were some bugs to get out. I've been driving it over a year and have taken it halfway across the country and back (among other, shorter trips) and have never been so comfortable as I have in this car.

Favorite Features

SAFETY, styling, stereo, seats that fit like a glove (best I've ever had), a pleasure to drive, solid, precise.

Suggested Improvements

HUD, more/improved cup holders, compass.