1999 Volvo S80 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S80 model:
Volvo S80 is a great car.
By MikeCarverEsq on 02/01/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan

When my lease ended on myu Mercedes back in 1999, some I work with recommended I go see the S80 by Volvo. I'd never owned a Volvo before in my life but I said, sure I'll check them out. I'm sure glad I did. My Volvo now has about 80k and runs like thee day I drove it off the lot. This car has been low maintenance and especially trouble free. I had it on a lease but recenttly refinanced it. I will not sell this car. It's been the best and most reliable car I have ever owned!

I love my Volvo S80
By Lawguys on 01/31/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan

I have a 99 S80 2.9. What a great car this has been. I put a lot of miles on my cars and have absolutely no complaints at all with my 1999 Volvo S80. My Volvo is currently at 92,000 miles, not far from 100,000 miles. Might I add trouble free miles. One repair only which was covered by the warranty and was pretty minor. I would recommend this car to anyone.

Best Car in it's Class!!!
By Dr.Patterson on 01/28/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan

I have now owned my 1999 Volvo S80 for just over 3 years. It has been extremely reliable and a great car to own. The performance and reliability are outstanding. I shopped around for about a year looking for a luxury car. This is definately the best from the bunch. I would definately recommend the 1999 Volvo S80. I have absolutely no complaints at all! Drive one, you'll love it!

The best car I have ever owned!
By Lisasanfrancisco on 01/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan

I was first introduced to the S80 in early 1999. A doctor/friend of mine whom works in my building took me to lunch in his new S80. I just fell in love with it. A few months later, I wound up buying one. I've had it now for about three and a half years. I drive a lot of miles and now have about 70,000 miles on my S80. I've enjoyed every mile. This is a great car and has been trouble free. I normally trade cars every 2-3 years but I won't part with my S80. It has been the best car I have ever owned. My friend loves his too.

Early problems but then 3 great years
By bruce- on 10/31/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan

First year was tough, with problems with mass air sensor and electric fan which failed. Ball joints replaced on recall and engine mounts replaced during 30K mi service . But, we figured that we would have some problems, since the car was First Year of Issue! We have the car now for 3 3/4 years and can honestly report that since the end of year 1, the car has run flawlessly and is very fast and comfortable.

Do not buy this car
By sonorandesertlover on 09/05/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan

I had a '93 850 and loved it. Very few problems. Bought this car as a "Volvo Certified" used car, have had nothing but problems. Has been in the shop regularly, i.e., almost monthly. Have had bushings replaced, engine mounts, electronic throttle module (not covered by the extended warranty), warning lights going off all of the time, it makes an annoying squeek when you release the brakes, but dealer can not find anything wrong. I am not waiting for extended warranty to run out. Am getting rid of ASAP. Highly disappointed in this flagship car.

1999 Volvo
By jimvino on 08/01/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan

Have enjoyed this particular vehicle but am disappointed with the computor system...too many problems with engine warning signs, etc. Also, sound system is not very good. A very comfortable auto however.

Disappointing Fiasco
By Disappointed Fiasco on 05/10/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan

Volvo should be embarrassed with how this vehicle has seriously tarnished thier reputation. From day one, we experienced multiple electrical problems, such A/C staying on after shutoff, molding falling off, idiot lights that indicated engine trouble, malfunctioning locks, doors, batteries, etc. Everytime car brought in to Volvo 128, service department claimed nothing was wrong. This car & most importantly the dealer were a complete fiasco that sheds Volvo in a light different from what they spent years trying to develop.

Great Car, Bought another one!
By Scuba165 on 05/08/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan

I owned this vehicle for 30 months, putting 45k miles on it. It performed flawlessly. There was a recall on the ball joint assembly, which wasn't broken, but replaced anyway. My brother bought the car and is very happy with it. I bought a new 2002 S80 with updated tires (Pirelli)

Troublesome S90
By PDA on 04/19/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan

Serious problem with fuel door that no one can seem to repair. Even with winter package handles poorly in the snow. Power doors and windows were a problem from day one that no one can seem to resolve. My second Volvo and I can only get $1500 rebate if I get lease another one. BMW dealer her I come