Used 1999 Volvo S80 2.9 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S80 model:

Just shoot it
By Kjo

1999 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan

I bought this car because of the impeccable safety record in August 2002 and have had nothing but PROBLEMS since it left the dealership: Door locks and tail lights @ 35K miles; A brand new transmission at 36K miles; An ABS Sensor at 45K miles; Power Steering Lines @ 47K miles; and front suspension replaced at less than 54K miles. Fortuneately all this was under the extended warranty. Learned recently that my 40k car is only worth about 11K. I'm not waiting for the extended warranty to expire next May. I am getting rid of this car NOW.

Favorite Features

Comfortable seats and safety.

Suggested Improvements

Drive the car off a cliff.

Over 100,000 miles and Still Like New!
By BigDog

1999 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan

I couldn't be any happier! I purchased this car when it was about a year old with 27k miles. I now have 108,000 miles and the thing still runs like new. This is a good solid car and very dependable. With all the mileage I've put on the car, I've replaced one strut tower bushing and that's all! I've had no repairs other than that one item. I've done the regular maintenance at Volvo and it's very reasonably priced. After a 100,000 miles it still has no squeeks or rattles. If I were to buy another S80 I'd go for the T6 version. I drove one and it left me stunned! I couldn't believe the performance on that car! The S80 is a great choice!

Favorite Features

After 100,000 miles, still very dependable! This model is a great choice!

The Best!
By KingNight

1999 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan

Having owned several luxury cars over the years, I've had my chance to really test them. My S80 is a 1999 and has roughly 60,000 miles on it. Only problem was a side light that fell out. Dealer replaced with the new revised part and said it should never happen again. So far it hasn't. Other than regular maintenance (very reasonably priced w/dealer) no problems to report at all. It's a wonderful vehicle and so solid. The seats are the best I've ever found. I used to own a Lexus LS400. That car was great too! It's a toss up between which of these I like better. The Volvo S80 T6 (twin turbo) will blow them all away though!

Favorite Features

Reliability is superb! Seats are beyond amazing!

Suggested Improvements

none

It's Wonderful
By Radio Flyer

1999 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan

I've owned my 1999 S80 for about four years now. It has been wonderful. Definately the most enjoyable car I've ever owned. For those of you who have had troble with yours, let me help you..... you just need to get the free software upgrade that Volvo released. The dealer does it for free. I too had some problems the first year but after the new software, not a single issue. That's all you need! You only need to have them do it once and it's there for good! This is really a great car to own!

Favorite Features

Reliability - Appearance - Performance

volvo's failure
By e-man

1999 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan

Inexpensive relative to others in it's class?? I remember that write up! What Volvo doesn't charge up front they sure make it up in maintaining this piece of crap. The "on board computer" has been as bad as Windows XP! It has given dealers a new weapon to charge you for things that aren't really broken. To name a few sore spots.AC(do the Swed's know what it's supposed to do?), transmission problems, fuel pump(60K miles?), sensors, light bulbs?why? Many share this view...as I recommended (months after I first bought my S80) to numerous friends and work associates of which I had three buy the same model! All have spent more money then I have on problems.

Favorite Features

no more endorsements

Suggested Improvements

Extended warranty to cover all the unreliable components within the car. More horsepower...not enough for this size & weight.