1999 Volvo S80 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S80 model:
Nothing but expensive problems
By Mariaelena on 12/10/05 14:53 PM (PST)

1999 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan

I loved the looks and comfort of this car and felt confident in spending the extra money because it was a Volvo. Much to my expense, I wasn't informed that this model is Volvo's nightmare ( ask any Volvo service person). It had multiple problems with the window mechanisms, a faulty steering rack, an extremely costly throttle problem, an ABS computer sensor defect and the list goes on. Now I've finally had it and am steering clear of all Volvos made by Ford!

This is a Volvo!!
By grod on 12/09/05 22:20 PM (PST)

1999 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan

I had always heard of the safety and reliability of a Volvo. After every problem from mechanical to electrical (replaced front end twice). Was told trade in value was $4000. This is from the same dealership that took thousands from me in repair costs. Wrecked the car two weeks ago and received $9,000 from insurance. This car is worth more totaled than running.

You should be warned
By Jon on 12/01/05 21:33 PM (PST)

1999 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

My wife and I had thought this was the car of the ages. We were looking forward to the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd badge. As we approach the 1st badge(100K) we must again drive 120 miles to our neighborhood Volvo dealer to be told my control module computer is out(3rd one) and it will be $800 for est repairs and no the unit is not warranted. If you read the posts they speak for themselves. A great car to drive but a nightmare to own. Someone should be slapped for letting this thing out to the market place. I should have bought the Maxima at the time. I could have bought a new maxima this year with the money I would have saved over the last 6 years.

Great Car/
By JohninKnox on 10/15/05 09:52 AM (PDT)

1999 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

I had been looking at an E320. I feel this car has all the features and more compared to the E320 and 5 series BMW. Very Very happy with great, ultra quiet and power for the interstates.

Never Again
By Jim on 09/30/05 15:07 PM (PDT)

1999 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan

I purchased what I thought would be a "safe" car and a few nights ago the car basically told me to flee for my life; the message light read "Brake Failure - pull to stop and seek service". Since I've owned it it has leaked fuel in puddles, lost its turn signals, airbag failure, headlight failure . . . everything that goes wrong with this car seems to threaten my safety. This is our 4th Volvo and we've witnessed the steady decline of what was once a safe, reliable car. Never again!

I have a bad feeling...
By lynnetta on 09/06/05 18:28 PM (PDT)

1999 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

I have had this car for a year now and have been satisfied but recently small problems have been arising and I have a bad feeling about it. There is a warning about the emission system that is quite alarming and though the car was advertised as a gas saver I'm averaging about 21 mpg. I love the car but am thinking about getting rid of it because for the price I don't feel it is going to hold up like it should.

Great Car
By Chris Furman on 07/07/05 19:56 PM (PDT)

1999 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

So Far I've put on over 10,000 miles on car without any troubles at all. Very comfortable, fast, reliable, and enjoyable. The European Technology in 1999 is beyond compare to Domestic cars today. Very affordable when looking for luxury and reliability. Great fuel economy as well. I'm averaging around 27 mixing the city and highway travel. Non-stop highway I'm averaging about 32mpg. I didn't think that was to bad for a 3600 pound car. I hope this helps if you're thinking about buying this model car.

Lemon Alert
By jennifer on 02/16/05 01:14 AM (PST)

1999 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan

I bought this car right after my Son was born because I wanted a safe, spacious and comfortable car. 2 days later it wouldn't start and its been in and out of the shop over 10 times since. I have poured thousands and thousands of dollars into it and it continues to have more and more things wrong with it. I just last week had a new transmission put in and it has about 6 new things that need to be repaired. There is constantly an emission light/ check engine/service required light on and no one can ever seem to fix it for more than a few days. It has been one heartache after another. I would not recommend this car for anyone who wants to remain sane.

It's getting traded in!!
By Happy days ahead... on 01/02/05 21:46 PM (PST)

1999 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

What can I say this thing is like a boat...happy day when you get it and even happier when you sell it! Get this junker out of my life....I'm getting killed on the resale and I'm thrilled! I'm just so sick of the redundant issues and poor quality. Volvo, my Grandpa would be ashamed of you...he owned nothing but Volvos his whole life! Only two good things to say 1. Never left me stranded 2.Fun to drive when running right (so not too often)! I'M FREE...I'M FREE!!!!!

Get used to BAD NEWS!
By jjarnold on 12/08/04 22:58 PM (PST)

1999 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

This has to be the worst excuse for a "luxury" car I have ever experienced. Engine seals and gaskets replaced at 60,000 miles ($1,500)- Wheel bearings and tie rods replaced at 75,000 miles ($800) - Driver side power window fell off the track at 70,000 miles ($400) - Throttle sensor replaced 80,000 miles- ($1,200) Now I have more noises coming from the front end and I fear another trip to the Volvo dealer so I can pay $80+ an hour for them to fix this monster that they created. They are kind enough to give me a 10% discount on the repairs. What a relief!!? Never another Volvo in my future - could this be related to Ford now owning this once fine company? I will continue to spread the word!