1999 Volvo S80 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S80 model:
Highest Maintenance Car I've Ever Had
By Carndog on 06/10/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan

I bought this car 1 year ago with 47k miles on it. I have replaced 1 headlight, 4 tail lights, and 1 side turn light. The side light fell out of it's socket, bizarre. I learned how to reset the service light because it comes on so often for no reason. Zero AM reception. Replaced a center speaker cover that fell apart. Jiffy lube refuses to change my oil so I have to go to the dealer. Last week a metal piece to my sunroof fell and hit my wife on the head. A plastic piece below the bumper fell off and I'm afraid to ask how much. The glove compartment squeaks. Other than that it drives nice and feels luxurious.

Fun in the Sun
By Volvo4Life on 05/05/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan

I have this car for 2 months and it drives great. I bought with 50,000 miles from a car lot and when I took it to the dealership it came with a clean report. Good Gas milage. Not as fast off the line as the T6 but on the highway it can get up and go.

VOLVO S80
By MANUEL SOTELO on 04/26/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

VOLVO NEEDS TO FIX THERE TIE ROD PROBLEMS

oh so sweet!
By pcp on 04/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan

Bought the S80 in the US, picked it up in Paris. Saved thousands of dollars, drove it all over France (over 90 mph on the highways!), and had it shipped back to the States for free. This model has been free of problems

OK if dealer supports
By jaego on 04/20/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan

Have had insurmountable problems with am radio reception which still is not fixed. Had transmission replaced at 50000 and some strut at 25,000. Some rattles. Is safe as I T-boned a lady who ran a red light at 35mph and felt I had been hit harder by my 12 year old son. The car took a punch but the overall experience with dealer and radio has made it less than desireable.

EXTREMELY high maintenance
By Ext HIGH Maintenance on 04/14/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan

Maybe they have worked the kinks out by now, but after my experience with my S80 I will NEVER own another Volvo again. It has been EXTREMELY high maintenance, in the shop for warranty repairs over 30 times in 4 years and drives poorly. It does not "hold the road" and over-sensitive steering makes it almost dangerous in hairy situations. I would sell it but the resale value is NOTHING!!! $16K for a low mileage car I paid $42K for... I bought it because I loved the way it looked and I have been regretting it ever since it went to the shop for the first time with only 800 miles on it.

a great car
By sfiehrer on 02/28/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan

This car has been trouble free and fun to drive for the past 4+ years. It is my 3rd Volvo over the past 14 years (had a 240 and a 740) and I intend to stay with Volvo as long as they make great cars with innovative safety features. The styling is sporty too! The only repairs I have had so far are new tires.

Solid but not flashy look or performance
By Die Hard on 02/14/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan

Solid car and reliable if not uninspiring. Surprising strong at higher rpms, surprising sluggish at lower rpms. Looks are modest, interior design nice, comfortable. Traction control lacking, particularly given it's fwd. Brakes are excellent. Fold down rear seat great for cargo. One light out in the center console...never replaced...$80 price quote...always lights out on our Volvo's V70's, XC, and S80.

Personal Experience
By ssutton200 on 02/08/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan

The car is very comfortable, drives well. HAs had minor issues requiring dealer service on 12 occasions. This is a nusiance. Has also had recall work.

Volvo S80 is a great car.
By MikeCarverEsq on 02/01/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan

When my lease ended on myu Mercedes back in 1999, some I work with recommended I go see the S80 by Volvo. I'd never owned a Volvo before in my life but I said, sure I'll check them out. I'm sure glad I did. My Volvo now has about 80k and runs like thee day I drove it off the lot. This car has been low maintenance and especially trouble free. I had it on a lease but recenttly refinanced it. I will not sell this car. It's been the best and most reliable car I have ever owned!