Used 1999 Volvo S80 2.9 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Volvo S80 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S80 model:

About the same as others, apparently
By Tom

1999 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan

After reading most of the other reviews, I guess I'm not any different. Very expensive to fix, and that happens way too often. The Emissions service light is a way too common problem, I've given up trying to find out what it is. Had to replace the ABS module, Volvo warranty wouldn't cover their product, even under warranty. Power steering leaks, or doesn't, whenever it feels like it. The front end makes funny cracking and creaking noises and I can't find any reason for it either. I thought I was buying a quality, safe car (at least the price I paid for it). I've had my first and LAST Volvo.

Comfortable interior, exterior looks good

Way too many to list here.

Nothing but expensive problems
By Mariaelena

1999 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan

I loved the looks and comfort of this car and felt confident in spending the extra money because it was a Volvo. Much to my expense, I wasn't informed that this model is Volvo's nightmare ( ask any Volvo service person). It had multiple problems with the window mechanisms, a faulty steering rack, an extremely costly throttle problem, an ABS computer sensor defect and the list goes on. Now I've finally had it and am steering clear of all Volvos made by Ford!

Comfortable, smooth ride - excellent handling.

Everything under the hood!

This is a Volvo!!
By grod

1999 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan

I had always heard of the safety and reliability of a Volvo. After every problem from mechanical to electrical (replaced front end twice). Was told trade in value was $4000. This is from the same dealership that took thousands from me in repair costs. Wrecked the car two weeks ago and received $9,000 from insurance. This car is worth more totaled than running.

I liked the Volvo logo.

To many to list!!!

Never Again
By Jim

1999 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan

I purchased what I thought would be a "safe" car and a few nights ago the car basically told me to flee for my life; the message light read "Brake Failure - pull to stop and seek service". Since I've owned it it has leaked fuel in puddles, lost its turn signals, airbag failure, headlight failure . . . everything that goes wrong with this car seems to threaten my safety. This is our 4th Volvo and we've witnessed the steady decline of what was once a safe, reliable car. Never again!

It's a great looking car that drives nice - but it may as well have a credit card swipe machine to pay as you go.

I would suggest that they go back to building quality cars.

Lemon Alert
By jennifer

1999 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan

I bought this car right after my Son was born because I wanted a safe, spacious and comfortable car. 2 days later it wouldn't start and its been in and out of the shop over 10 times since. I have poured thousands and thousands of dollars into it and it continues to have more and more things wrong with it. I just last week had a new transmission put in and it has about 6 new things that need to be repaired. There is constantly an emission light/ check engine/service required light on and no one can ever seem to fix it for more than a few days. It has been one heartache after another. I would not recommend this car for anyone who wants to remain sane.

spaciousness, appearance, comfort

I don't have enough time to list