1999 Volvo S80 Sedan Consumer Reviews 3

1999 Volvo S80 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S80 model:
Run away!
By Sherrill on 08/29/08 13:26 PM (PDT)

1999 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan

I wish the reviews had been available before we bought the car because we sure wouldn't have. It has been a nightmare. We have probably paid half as much on repairs as we paid for the car. We just keep pumping money into it because it is paid for and we don't want another car payment so we feel trapped. The body parts are even falling off (headliner, etc)

Keep a 2nd car (Japanese) as a backup
By Abhi on 06/17/08 13:22 PM (PDT)

1999 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

My S80 was/is a fun car to drive. Hands down it's one of the better vehicles to drive and responds well to tight turns, sudden accelerations, etc. However, it has been very unreliable. I've spent a small fortune trying to keep this car alive and it has only 87k miles on it. Small niggles like oil leaks cost upwards of $500 to fix. The upper engine mount has broken thrice in 4 years. The emmissions error message kept coming on till I replaced the abs module. And now I've a transmission error message which has been diagnosed as an electrical issue in the comntrol module but it cant be repaired and the whole transmission needs to be replaced ($5k).. Ouch ! Save the money and buy a Lexus or Acura

Last Volvo I'll Buy
By Tony on 05/22/07 11:12 AM (PDT)

1999 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan

At first we loved the car. Over time it became apparent that the quality of the vehicle was lacking ranging from cosmetic to mechanical. The body dents easily from anything, small minor accessories stop working or just break, and we always seem to spend thousands a year on maintenance. We also own a 96 850 Turbo and do not experience any of the consistent problems with it. The information center stopped scrolling one item at a time. The dealership said it was not their problem to fix since no recall...1yr after purchase. I won't buy from the dealer even if we decided on another Volvo.

Consumer Beware!!
By Joy on 04/03/07 07:39 AM (PDT)

1999 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan

Purchased this car from private seller at 20,000 miles. Previously had a 240 sedan and wagon. Thought this was the most beautiful and comfortable car I had ever experienced. The love affair was short lived. Constant problems with electronics, sensors, throttle, ball joints, computer modules... at 80,000 miles was told ball joints needed replacing (I found out at that time that they had been recalled and replaced prior to my purchasing from seller). Unreliable and expensive car to repair!! Company does not seem to care that their customers were sold an expensive piece of junk. Trying to get rid of now... not running, needs $3500 more, will just sell for junk which it is! Never another Volvo!!

Love the car - hate to fix!
By Jay on 01/22/07 15:11 PM (PST)

1999 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan

Driving this car is bittersweet. It has all the comforts of home with all the bells and whistles and the safety that Volvo is known for. The car looks good, has a smooth ride, it turns heads, and even has a kickin' audio system, but my wallet take a punch to the face when I sit in the waiting room of the service department. Among the thousands I spent in repairs, last week I spent $150 for a simple battery (without the labor cost). When I disconnected the old battery to purchase a new one, my airbag sensor got disabled, and that cost me $85 just to have the technician connect a computer in the dash and press a button to reset it. I had to get rid of it but I do miss it.

Money Pit Stay Away
By ddddam on 06/08/06 15:17 PM (PDT)

1999 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

I have had almost anything you can think of done to this car Trans, ABS mod, rack and pin, strunts, oil trap, ball joints, and Im still having computer problems my back seat head rest only flip down when it is cold out and when the car feels like it, about once every two months my turn signals will not work and my air bag light stays on. I will never buy another. Thanks for ruining volvo FORD!

High Maintenance
By William North on 05/11/06 21:48 PM (PDT)

1999 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

Volvo T6 is generally a great car, but... The maintenance required, frequency of failures, and quality (and high price) of parts means I would never have bought it "if I had known." Examples: replaced the computer chip regulating gas flow 3 times (at $600 parts plus labor), replaced the fuel pump twice, same prices.

Drives nicely. Have your wallet ready.
By Eduardo B on 04/20/06 19:05 PM (PDT)

1999 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

Enjoy as much as you can when the dash message reads "no messages" because when a message comes it is like a call from nature to a wild animal, but in this case the call it to the dealer. Love the car, great power, handles smoothly, great sound, unbeatable brakes, cockpit like driver sit. Gives me 36.6mpg when i set cruise at 62mph, not only by display but at-the- pump calculation. 0-80 in less than 8sec. Tranny apear to know when im going to need some trust, engages smoothly and turbo kicks in in a dime. I added H2S Xenons w/H7 adapter and the headlamps make a perfect light/dark cut on upper portion of beam. Maintenance cost has been even less than our other vehicle (toyota)

Disappointment
By alex on 03/02/06 13:47 PM (PST)

1999 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

Poor reliability, expensive electronics failures some plastic parts don't stand UV, therefore disintegrate, had to replace sway bars, rubber washers under the McPherson, dashbord not user frienfly, on and on and on.

About the same as others, apparently
By Tom on 02/02/06 09:25 AM (PST)

1999 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan

After reading most of the other reviews, I guess I'm not any different. Very expensive to fix, and that happens way too often. The Emissions service light is a way too common problem, I've given up trying to find out what it is. Had to replace the ABS module, Volvo warranty wouldn't cover their product, even under warranty. Power steering leaks, or doesn't, whenever it feels like it. The front end makes funny cracking and creaking noises and I can't find any reason for it either. I thought I was buying a quality, safe car (at least the price I paid for it). I've had my first and LAST Volvo.