Used 1999 Volvo S80 2.9 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S80 model:

Run away!
By Sherrill

1999 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan

I wish the reviews had been available before we bought the car because we sure wouldn't have. It has been a nightmare. We have probably paid half as much on repairs as we paid for the car. We just keep pumping money into it because it is paid for and we don't want another car payment so we feel trapped. The body parts are even falling off (headliner, etc)

Favorite Features

My husband likes the comfort of the seats

Suggested Improvements

Does Volvo even care. I agree with Jon's earlier review that Volvo should have recalled this car or have done something to make good on this lemon. We will never buy Volvo again and I tell everyone who I can, not to as well. It could have been a different story if Volvo had corrected the issues.

Last Volvo I'll Buy
By Tony

1999 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan

At first we loved the car. Over time it became apparent that the quality of the vehicle was lacking ranging from cosmetic to mechanical. The body dents easily from anything, small minor accessories stop working or just break, and we always seem to spend thousands a year on maintenance. We also own a 96 850 Turbo and do not experience any of the consistent problems with it. The information center stopped scrolling one item at a time. The dealership said it was not their problem to fix since no recall...1yr after purchase. I won't buy from the dealer even if we decided on another Volvo.

Favorite Features

None anymore. It is just a vehicle for transportation.

Consumer Beware!!
By Joy

1999 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan

Purchased this car from private seller at 20,000 miles. Previously had a 240 sedan and wagon. Thought this was the most beautiful and comfortable car I had ever experienced. The love affair was short lived. Constant problems with electronics, sensors, throttle, ball joints, computer modules... at 80,000 miles was told ball joints needed replacing (I found out at that time that they had been recalled and replaced prior to my purchasing from seller). Unreliable and expensive car to repair!! Company does not seem to care that their customers were sold an expensive piece of junk. Trying to get rid of now... not running, needs $3500 more, will just sell for junk which it is! Never another Volvo!!

Favorite Features

Body style, interior features, stereo, spacious interior, smooth ride.

Suggested Improvements

Everything mechanical and electronic. Driver cannot see well when looking toward back/side for traffic in other lanes. Clearance a little low on front end, often scrape when turning in parking lots.

Love the car - hate to fix!
By Jay

1999 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan

Driving this car is bittersweet. It has all the comforts of home with all the bells and whistles and the safety that Volvo is known for. The car looks good, has a smooth ride, it turns heads, and even has a kickin' audio system, but my wallet take a punch to the face when I sit in the waiting room of the service department. Among the thousands I spent in repairs, last week I spent $150 for a simple battery (without the labor cost). When I disconnected the old battery to purchase a new one, my airbag sensor got disabled, and that cost me $85 just to have the technician connect a computer in the dash and press a button to reset it. I had to get rid of it but I do miss it.

Favorite Features

Audio controls in the steering wheel and that big sunroof!

Suggested Improvements

Either make it less expensive to fix, or make it more dependable.

About the same as others, apparently
By Tom

1999 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan

After reading most of the other reviews, I guess I'm not any different. Very expensive to fix, and that happens way too often. The Emissions service light is a way too common problem, I've given up trying to find out what it is. Had to replace the ABS module, Volvo warranty wouldn't cover their product, even under warranty. Power steering leaks, or doesn't, whenever it feels like it. The front end makes funny cracking and creaking noises and I can't find any reason for it either. I thought I was buying a quality, safe car (at least the price I paid for it). I've had my first and LAST Volvo.

Favorite Features

Comfortable interior, exterior looks good

Suggested Improvements

Way too many to list here.