1999 Volvo S80 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S80 model:
Just shoot it
By Kjo on 01/30/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan

I bought this car because of the impeccable safety record in August 2002 and have had nothing but PROBLEMS since it left the dealership: Door locks and tail lights @ 35K miles; A brand new transmission at 36K miles; An ABS Sensor at 45K miles; Power Steering Lines @ 47K miles; and front suspension replaced at less than 54K miles. Fortuneately all this was under the extended warranty. Learned recently that my 40k car is only worth about 11K. I'm not waiting for the extended warranty to expire next May. I am getting rid of this car NOW.

Over 100,000 miles and Still Like New!
By BigDog on 01/08/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan

I couldn't be any happier! I purchased this car when it was about a year old with 27k miles. I now have 108,000 miles and the thing still runs like new. This is a good solid car and very dependable. With all the mileage I've put on the car, I've replaced one strut tower bushing and that's all! I've had no repairs other than that one item. I've done the regular maintenance at Volvo and it's very reasonably priced. After a 100,000 miles it still has no squeeks or rattles. If I were to buy another S80 I'd go for the T6 version. I drove one and it left me stunned! I couldn't believe the performance on that car! The S80 is a great choice!

The Best!
By KingNight on 10/04/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan

Having owned several luxury cars over the years, I've had my chance to really test them. My S80 is a 1999 and has roughly 60,000 miles on it. Only problem was a side light that fell out. Dealer replaced with the new revised part and said it should never happen again. So far it hasn't. Other than regular maintenance (very reasonably priced w/dealer) no problems to report at all. It's a wonderful vehicle and so solid. The seats are the best I've ever found. I used to own a Lexus LS400. That car was great too! It's a toss up between which of these I like better. The Volvo S80 T6 (twin turbo) will blow them all away though!

It's Wonderful
By Radio Flyer on 09/19/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan

I've owned my 1999 S80 for about four years now. It has been wonderful. Definately the most enjoyable car I've ever owned. For those of you who have had troble with yours, let me help you..... you just need to get the free software upgrade that Volvo released. The dealer does it for free. I too had some problems the first year but after the new software, not a single issue. That's all you need! You only need to have them do it once and it's there for good! This is really a great car to own!

Finally, an enjoyable car to own!
By BobSellsHomes on 09/04/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan

To begin with, I've owned an Infiniti Q45, an older Jaguar (1987), two Bmw's and now a Volvo. I bought my S80 back in 1999 which was the first model year for this car. I do not have a single complaint. To date, two recalls have been performed at no charge and that's it! I have right around 55,000 miles on the car and I wouldn't trade it for the world. I love everything about this car! I have yet to see any luxury car that can stand up to the S80, or even come close. As far as safety, there is not a single car that can touch an S80. On a scale of 1 - 10 I give this car an 11. It's a super smooth and solid vehicle! Volvo did great!

volvo's failure
By e-man on 09/04/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan

Inexpensive relative to others in it's class?? I remember that write up! What Volvo doesn't charge up front they sure make it up in maintaining this piece of crap. The "on board computer" has been as bad as Windows XP! It has given dealers a new weapon to charge you for things that aren't really broken. To name a few sore spots.AC(do the Swed's know what it's supposed to do?), transmission problems, fuel pump(60K miles?), sensors, light bulbs?why? Many share this view...as I recommended (months after I first bought my S80) to numerous friends and work associates of which I had three buy the same model! All have spent more money then I have on problems.

I Love My S80
By eyefixer on 07/31/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan

In 1999 I decided to trade my 1996 Lexus and make the change to the new S80. I am so glad I did. This has to be the best car I have ever owned. The dealer upgraded the cars computer software and I think they also did some sort of recall, but besides that it has been completely trouble free. The maintenance at the Volvo dealership has been extremely cheap to do (especially compared to the high maintenance on the Lexus). I would have to rate this car more dependable than my last Lexus too! The seats in this car are a dream. I can go on and on..... I love driving my S80 every chance I get. It's just such an enjoyable car to own.

I love this auto.
By speason on 07/09/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan

I love my car. It has been very reliable. I especially like the Volvo dealers I have dealt with.

Car is fine, Service is a Killer
By Jackie T on 07/04/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan

The design of this car is fine, but the service in our area is terrible. We have incurred almost $10,000 in repair costs not including regular maintenance. Thank goodness for the extended warranty. Three of the lights, including one headlight have fallen out! We drove away from a regularly scheduled maintenance without oil! We can't wait to get rid of this car, which is unfortunate. We really like the car, but the cost to maintain is a nightmare. I feel sorry for the poor chap who buys one of these used. We will never buy a Volvo again.

Won't Go Back! (To other makes of cars)
By Volvo Family on 06/11/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan

Bought car after driving a Volvo rental. Just loved it. The car just wants to be driven! It's been in for service for minor things and did get the software updated which solved alot of computer messages. This was first year for this new body style/model and there were some bugs to get out. I've been driving it over a year and have taken it halfway across the country and back (among other, shorter trips) and have never been so comfortable as I have in this car.