1999 Volvo S80 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S80 model:
best buy
By volovoman on 08/28/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

no complaints, everything is perfectly engineered and designed. nothing else compares with what you get for the money. i feel safe and secure driving my volvo

Avoid this Car!
By Burnt once.... on 08/26/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

I had trouble with this car from the moment I drove it off the lot. Selling dealer was coy, and made no mention of the poor reliability of this car, even when presented with poor reviews. I've had it towed three times. Warning lights blink on and off. I've replaced more bulbs in that car than in all my previous cars combined. I wouldn't buy another Volvo if it were half price.

no more
By randolph on 08/14/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

car is great when running. but the electronics suck big time. they've replaced more sensors than exist in any other car i think. dealership is terrible. can't wait for lease to end. too bad though, because when the car is running right - it's a pleasure to drive

1999 Volvo
By jimvino on 08/01/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan

Have enjoyed this particular vehicle but am disappointed with the computor system...too many problems with engine warning signs, etc. Also, sound system is not very good. A very comfortable auto however.

Not Worth the $$$$
By KMT on 07/16/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

After way too many problems (literally, too many to list) I traded in my S80 T6 for a Passat. After getting over the intial shock of trade in value - $30,000 less than sticker price (the car was loaded to the hilt and had 56,000 miles, I knew that I didn't have a choice. With my warranty up and still having massive problems, I had to get rid of it. My new Passat has everything that the Volvo had except the Nav system and horsepower and the best part - it cost me half the price! I love my new car!

Not Bad Once you get it set correctly
By Dolphin on 07/10/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

This is a luxury car. Quiet, huge interior space, and great luggage capacity. Volvo sure did upscale their product with this vehicle. Absolutely the BEST seats I have ever been in, excellent for extended trips. The ergonomics are fine. I had to install a new cable for the am radio, earth fault on the original, and I am getting a spurious ABS STC light message. Oh yes, the message display screen seems to have a dark section in the middle of the display. Sometimes cannot read this display at all if the sun is hitting the display.

Beautiful But Unreliable
By Fed up on 07/08/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

Beautiful car, but it's in the shop waaaayyyyy too much. Since owning it,I've replaced the power steering, throttle, bushings (twice), CD player, fuel cap (twice - and I'm still getting the message "fuel filler cap open/loose") both side lights (broken clamps), moonroof switch and other switches. I have an annoying squeak in my steering wheel as well as the drivers seat. I love the way the car drives, rides and looks, but for the $$$? My warranty is up and I'll be trading it in for something else - probably a Passat or Audi.

s80-t6 review
By yousef on 06/26/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

the best, most diltitful Volvo i owned, its fast and comfotable, it makes you feel wery well preserved from outside elements in this car. The suspention and steering has alot of room for inprovments.

Not all lemons are yellow
By William Witt on 06/16/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

Bought the car new 12/98. After three years and 57k, the car has been in the shop for repairs 39 times. New transmission, still have troubles. New brake booster and ABS sensing unit. Turn signal has not worked since 3 months, dealer can't find problem. Motor mounts have been replaced MANY times, still have trouble. Problems with locks, trim falling off, a/c. Volvo of North America no help and doesn't care that the flagship of the volvo line has the reputation of a yugo!

Buy a S-80 again? Probably NOT!
By eyedoc on 06/08/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

For a car that wraps around you and says, I will protect you in a crash, my S-80 was a very disappointing experience. . My problems varied with the fuel injection and the suspension being the 2 greatest problems. Dealer had the car 2 months trying to fix it and 13 trips to the shop for misc. problems like the transmission sensor, just to mention a few. The dealer ship was wonderful, only problem was the 130 miles to get there. The day the car was going back it made it on a tow truck. For the 4 months before I dumped the car I put it in my back yard and let grass grow up around it.