Used 1999 Volvo S80 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S80 model:

Excellent Vehicle
By Alanruns

1999 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

Buy this car! I bought my S80 T6 brand new back in 1999. I drive a lot and I'm less than 1000 miles from the 100,000 mile mark. All I can say is this car is incredible. In the 100,000 miles, I've had one minor repair covered by warranty. This has been better than any other car I've owned. The car is still tight without any annoying squeeks or rattles. I'm not acustomed to keeping a car this long but I'm not parting with my T6. I can't find the words to express how comfortable the seats are on long trips. The power and performance is mind blowing with the twin turbo. Not a single complaint with this one.

Favorite Features

This car can really get up and go. The twin turbo makes this car quick, and I mean quick! Reliability is great. Trouble free model - a good car to own!

Suggested Improvements

Stop selling these cars to so many complainers. Sounds like many people here like to complain about every little thing rather than enjoy this machine. I've talked to other owners and noboby's had problems (other than normal). Is this the complaining room?

The T6.... The Best Choice!
By Ray_Travis

1999 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

I've read some reviews here from people complaining. I can't understand it! I drive a lot and I now have about 78,000 miles on my T6. If I remember correctly I only had a recall done way back after I bought it. I've done regular maintenance (very low cost) but I just don't remember having any repairs performed. I can't speak for anyone else, but I would have to say this car is extremely reliable. The only complaint I can find (and really not that bad) is the range on the transmitters. They're really not too bad but I owned a Lexus and it had a little better range. Overall, in the $50,000 range there's no other car even close. Very Satisfied!

Favorite Features

The seats are just fantastic, especially on long trips. The car is so quick too. Very good reliability. Just a good pick!

Great cruiser, but starti/stopping?
By Coats

1999 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

Beautiful inside and out and great highway power but has PLENTY of quirks. Worst of which is the front wheel drive/traction control. When you try to accelerate on anything but perfect pavement and in a straight line, it kicks in VERY abruptly. Transmission gets confused, clunks on some downshifts. AC controls are more confusing than ever. How hard is it to design this? Ditto for the Windows. Bought "certified" from the dealer. Paid a premium for this but feel I need it with the complexities of the turbo/transmission. Hope it is as reliable as my old 740 Turbo which I had for 10 years trouble free.

Favorite Features

Interior design and size

Suggested Improvements

More open trunk. Easier AC controls. Rear wheel drive! Less traction control/torque steer Better city gas mileage (I get 14 MPG tops)

Over Four Years and Trouble Free!
By Gabriella

1999 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

I've had my '99 S80 T6 now for over four years. Aside from regular maintenance and a recall performed at no charge, I've done nothing but drive this car. Maintenance has been relatively inexpensive as I expected it to be more. I know Volvo released a computer download to correct all issues on these cars. I had it done to my car at no charge shortly after I bought it. My dealer said after they do that, they're aren't too many cars that can touch the S80 for it's great reliability. I have absolutely no complaints at all. The '99 S80 is great! Super comfortable and power that can't be touched by any other luxury car out there. Recommended very highly!

Favorite Features

Very reliable and solid car.

Less than desirable
By JHK II

1999 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

I so looked forward to owning a Volvo. I found what I thought to be a great deal on their flagship. The deal and the car are crap. I will never purchase from Akin or another Volvo. I have spent over $4.0 after I purchased. I now have so much invested I can't sell. I am just waiting for the $7.0 transmission to fall out.

Favorite Features

Turbo, heated seats, memory seats, and computer info provided.

Suggested Improvements

For $48.0 new, Volvo should ensure their product is the best. For a flagship this is the worst. If their are complications with the product then fix it and make the consumer happy.