1999 Volvo S80 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S80 model:
Great Car
By Beck on 12/17/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

Purchased as recertified in 10/01. Awesome car! I guess any problems with this model were fixed by previous owner. Sounds like the first buyers got screwed big time. Anyway, 13k miles later (now at 38k), not a problem since day 1. Incredible comfort, reliability, acceleration is something else. To sum it up, this car is power and luxury. Anyone driving with me is stunned by the performance and comfort. I hope I never need to know how it is safety wise.

My best car ever!
By autotech on 12/17/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

I've owned several vehicles in the past and no vehicle has ever been anywhere near as enjoyable as my 1999 Volvo S80 T6. I have absolutely no complaints with this car at all. The car did have one repair right after I bought it and of course it was covered by the warranty. They also updated the cars computer software free of charge. The software upgrade takes care of just about every issue with this car. I am nearing the 80,000 mile mark on my S80 and love the car more and more. Just try an S80 T6. You'll be happily amazed!

My 1999 Volvo S80 T6 is just right!!!
By Carguy739 on 12/12/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

This is now my fourth Volvo and by far my favorite. I did have one recall on the car and that's been it. This car has been a total joy to own. I currently have 68,000 miles on my S80 and still look forward to the ride every time I drive it. This is such a comfortable car to ride in. I do know that some people had some computer problems with this car. It is all corrected with Volvo's latest 'FREE' software upgrade. The upgrade which was just released takes care of every electrical issue with the S80. I would recommend the S80 T6 to anyone. This will probably be the best car you'll ever own.

Love the car...some concerns
By Rambis on 12/06/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

Bought still under warranty. Replaced MANY sensors. MANY new software downloads seemed to fix most of the electronic problems. MAJOR oil leak under the engine. Replaced driver's side window. Motor broke and window cracked inside the door. Replaced throttle assembly. When all is well this car is AWESOME! FAST! Great accelleration! I'm 6'6" and this car has tons of room. More room than an LHS! Very comfortable car. Love the style in and out. Very solid car. Feel extremely safe. Terrible sounds syst. Might trade. Not confident with THIS car. Looking at a 1996 Lexus LS 400. I'll buy again but when 01 or 02 come down in price.

Great car, but....
By ss21 on 11/03/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

In the year I've owned this vehicle, the ABS brake module, air mass sensor, engine mounts, tie rods, power steering stops, and a vacuum line had to be replaced. And the car only has 40000 miles on it. Other than that, the car has been excellent. Great performance, looks good, and drives well - when it's not in the shop. I would highly recommend against buying this vehicle unless you have a second car and lots of money to spend on repairs/maintenance. Otherwise, just buy a Honda.

Early problems but then 3 great years
By bruce- on 10/31/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan

First year was tough, with problems with mass air sensor and electric fan which failed. Ball joints replaced on recall and engine mounts replaced during 30K mi service . But, we figured that we would have some problems, since the car was First Year of Issue! We have the car now for 3 3/4 years and can honestly report that since the end of year 1, the car has run flawlessly and is very fast and comfortable.

Don't worry, be happy!
By Norskie4 on 10/31/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

Bought the car used, at a fantastic deal due to the initial problems that now seem to have been fixed. Car rides like a dream, very fast and comfortable, huge trunk and a sound system that is some of the best that can be had out there. With Volvo safety added, this feels like a steal as a used car value.

No more VOLVO
By skipper on 09/29/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

Can you spell unreliable. Let me help you! VOLVO 1999 S-80 T6. If time and money are no object, here is your car. You will need both for your numerous trips to the service department. If you enjoy seeing your check engine warning light illuminate weekly this is the vehicle for you. What an engineering flaw. Obviously others have had the same problems I have experienced, yet no releif from Volvo exists. I have steered numerous friends and clients away froming buying this vehicle. Could be a great car but sadly isn't. Look to BMW, Acura for better value and more reliability.

Sooooo disappointed in Volvo
By Bfriebs on 09/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

Along with making a monthly car payment to Volvo Finance, we also make a montly payment to the Volvo Service Center. This has been the most disappointing car we've owned. In one year, the car has required repairs on an average of every six weeks. Problems range from electronic sensors going bad to shocks blowing out. After finding out two days ago that there is now an oil leak, we have had enough. BMW, Lexus and Acura will be seeing us this week. In fact, I will be trading in the car, since I can't sell it in good conscience.

Do not buy this car
By sonorandesertlover on 09/05/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan

I had a '93 850 and loved it. Very few problems. Bought this car as a "Volvo Certified" used car, have had nothing but problems. Has been in the shop regularly, i.e., almost monthly. Have had bushings replaced, engine mounts, electronic throttle module (not covered by the extended warranty), warning lights going off all of the time, it makes an annoying squeek when you release the brakes, but dealer can not find anything wrong. I am not waiting for extended warranty to run out. Am getting rid of ASAP. Highly disappointed in this flagship car.