1999 Volvo S80 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S80 model:
VOLVO S80
By MANUEL SOTELO on 04/26/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

VOLVO NEEDS TO FIX THERE TIE ROD PROBLEMS

oh so sweet!
By pcp on 04/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan

Bought the S80 in the US, picked it up in Paris. Saved thousands of dollars, drove it all over France (over 90 mph on the highways!), and had it shipped back to the States for free. This model has been free of problems

OK if dealer supports
By jaego on 04/20/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan

Have had insurmountable problems with am radio reception which still is not fixed. Had transmission replaced at 50000 and some strut at 25,000. Some rattles. Is safe as I T-boned a lady who ran a red light at 35mph and felt I had been hit harder by my 12 year old son. The car took a punch but the overall experience with dealer and radio has made it less than desireable.

EXTREMELY high maintenance
By Ext HIGH Maintenance on 04/14/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan

Maybe they have worked the kinks out by now, but after my experience with my S80 I will NEVER own another Volvo again. It has been EXTREMELY high maintenance, in the shop for warranty repairs over 30 times in 4 years and drives poorly. It does not "hold the road" and over-sensitive steering makes it almost dangerous in hairy situations. I would sell it but the resale value is NOTHING!!! $16K for a low mileage car I paid $42K for... I bought it because I loved the way it looked and I have been regretting it ever since it went to the shop for the first time with only 800 miles on it.

Navigation System Nightmare
By TWoods on 03/29/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

The car has many nice feature. I wish they had thought of illuminating the steering wheel controls on the 1999 model. Also a trunk release inside of the car would be helpful.

Not worth $43000
By garysabo on 03/09/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

Leased 1999 T6. It's been a reliability problem since 3 miles after taking delivery. 13 un-scheduled service appoints - Check Engine light comes on regularly. Transmission Control Module and Evap Control replaced twice. Most parts not available and require ordering resulting in another visit to Volvo service. Brakes are a nightmare - long play on pedal where nothing happens, then instant grip. Volvo service says this is normal. Remote locking has failed twice. When the lease is up this car goes back to Volvo. Volvo offered $500 off residual to keep the car but residual is $5000 over Edmunds TMV. Volvo knows this car was a problem.

Love/Hate Relationship
By DME123 on 03/05/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

This car is so much fun to drive, but is too unreliable to keep. Three radiators, 2 transmissions, 2 gear shift mechanisms, more bulbs and sensors replaced than I can count, etc.. Towed to the dealer twice within a month. It is truly a shame that an automobile that is this stylish and enjoyable to drive is so poorly engineered. UNRELIABLE=UNSAFE

a great car
By sfiehrer on 02/28/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan

This car has been trouble free and fun to drive for the past 4+ years. It is my 3rd Volvo over the past 14 years (had a 240 and a 740) and I intend to stay with Volvo as long as they make great cars with innovative safety features. The styling is sporty too! The only repairs I have had so far are new tires.

Solid but not flashy look or performance
By Die Hard on 02/14/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan

Solid car and reliable if not uninspiring. Surprising strong at higher rpms, surprising sluggish at lower rpms. Looks are modest, interior design nice, comfortable. Traction control lacking, particularly given it's fwd. Brakes are excellent. Fold down rear seat great for cargo. One light out in the center console...never replaced...$80 price quote...always lights out on our Volvo's V70's, XC, and S80.

Do not buy this car
By texasgirl on 02/11/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

At first I loved it, even though the right blinker was hanging out of the car when I got home from the dealership. That has happened two more times. The check engine light comes on every other time you get gas. The air conditioner went out (on a road trip, in summer, in TX, with a baby. Bushings had to be replaced. I have had 5 new 17" tires (never had that problem with any other car). The ride is no longer quiet. A lot of little things that add up to severe annoyance!