Used 1999 Volvo S80 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S80 model:

Buyer Beware
By dummy

1999 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

I bought my S80 T6 on eBay (I know-what was I thinking). In the 8 mos. I've had the vehicle, I've dumped over $3000 in repairs. Seems like every time I take it to the shop (which is often) it costs $600. It's really too bad, because this is a great driving car with exceptional comfort and interior features. I won't buy another Volvo because of this, and it's dissapointing.

Favorite Features

Driver comfort is very good. Controls are well thought out, and climate control works well.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability and mechanical engineering were overlooked on this first year attempt. Hopefully Volvo learned by their early mistakes on this model!

A stinker amongst the good ones, I guess
By Guswriter

1999 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

I've read and heard about all the great, long-lived Volvos. Mine will not be one. Since the very day I picked it up, nothing but troubles. Leaks, squeeks, electrical problems, and a lot of time spent in the shop, including a complete transmission replacement. Fortunately for me, this was purchased as a Certified Used Car ... so it's all covered until I hit 100,000 miles. Well, I still pay 50 bucks everytime I visit the shop. Dealer has been fantastic through it all, though.

Favorite Features

Front seat comfort. Heated seats. Sports car feel and responsiveness. Good gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Most of all, some consistent quality construction. The dealer is trying all they can, but like other owners' Volvos, this one seems to be a real dog. I would hate to see what's going to happen after 100,000 miles. Believe me, the car will not be in my possession then.

It's a Love/Hate Thing
By WaterGirl

1999 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

This car was bought used from a reputable Volvo dealer and I love the comfort and performance. But, we've had a lot of problems. A software upgrade to fix all ills: Been there, done that-more than once. The radiator, alternator, battery, engine mounts (twice), some seal thing($$), and the fire box(big $$!)have all been replaced. A rear door has been fixed and lots of small things. Notably some finish work is cheap/marker lights fall out, levers and covers breaking, etc. Very disappointing at 50K but I'd like another one, I hear they've worked out the bugs. (The service guy whispered that the transmissions have been problematic, as well $$$!!)

Favorite Features

Ride and extreme comfort

Suggested Improvements

RELIABILITY!

Volvo for life? Not hardly-
By Ellen C

1999 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

To those of you who don't understand complaints many have written-count yourself lucky. I bought mine pre- certified with 18k miles, and 2k miles later the nightmare began. Too many trips to the garage for problems with the emission,electrical and brake systems,etc. Just towed it because it wouldn't go out of park(cable problem). Love driving it when it's not in the shop every 6 weeks,but it has to go! Contacted dealership-value on trade-in is less than half what I paid 2 yrs ago. So much for Volvos retaining their value! Dealership admitted 99 model was released into production before it was ready. My advice-stay away-with or without the extended warranty.

Favorite Features

The power, comfort of seats, overall look

Suggested Improvements

Light the controls on the steering wheel. Finish testing the model BEFORE you put it into production!!!!

Just shoot it
By Kjo

1999 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan

I bought this car because of the impeccable safety record in August 2002 and have had nothing but PROBLEMS since it left the dealership: Door locks and tail lights @ 35K miles; A brand new transmission at 36K miles; An ABS Sensor at 45K miles; Power Steering Lines @ 47K miles; and front suspension replaced at less than 54K miles. Fortuneately all this was under the extended warranty. Learned recently that my 40k car is only worth about 11K. I'm not waiting for the extended warranty to expire next May. I am getting rid of this car NOW.

Favorite Features

Comfortable seats and safety.

Suggested Improvements

Drive the car off a cliff.