Used 1999 Volvo S80 2.9 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S80 model:

hissing noise/brake concern
By jackson99

1999 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan

Been hearing a hissing noise now for several months..understand may be a booster problem? What's this going to cost and will it get worse and brakes eventually fail? Thanks for any help!

Wanted to Like...
By lynnmckeel

1999 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan

I really wanted to like this car. It was so comfertable and I felt very safe all of the time. Drove like a dream. However it has been a constant money pit The car has 163,000 miles on it so it is old but its not going to last with out hundreds maybe thousands of dollars invested. Its been constant for the last two years: In addition routine work I have also had to replace struts, fix the fuel pump, the coils, the head light got busted and the electics have never been the same, the ac is shot, the power locks are shot, had to have the power steering fixed, and ALL of the fabric lining is coming off. Lots of money, time, and towing

Favorite Features

Soo safe, so comfertable, drives like a dream

Suggested Improvements

needs to be more reliable

Heed this warning! ( wish I would of)
By HEBES

1999 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan

Purchased car used. Expected much more from this car. I was afraid to drive it shortly after I got it fearing what would break next. I swear anything I touched in that car would break or cause something else to break. Something as simple as trying to put a cd in the stereo ended up costing me a new stereo and caused some kind of urgent airbag warning. Every time I get in its a mystery what will happen or not happen. I gave up putting money into it and will drive the car until it refuses to move. There is nothing consistent about this car except for some item or feature failing to work.

Favorite Features

Best feature about this car is that it have every possible code known to man for reporting problems with the car, and it needs them.

Suggested Improvements

Way too costly to repair, this car will bankrupt you. Anyone says otherwise is used to pumping lots of money into their vehicles.

GM Transmission
By Jim

1999 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan

I have a 1999 Volvo S-80. I just had the tramission rebuilt, It was done by a friend of mine so the cost was cheaper than someone off the street. I was surprised that when my friend told me that the transmission was a General Motors product. The problem was the 3rd gear went out. The mechanic told me this was common in this type transmission weither it was in a Volvo or a GM product. The clutches in this type transmission are not as tight meaning the shift will be smoother, but this leaves weaknest in the shifting process but smooth. So if you have tranny problems it will problem be the 3rd gear clutches. But the good news is it will probably be a good old GM transmission.

Favorite Features

Nice ride, good stero system,

Suggested Improvements

Improve the transmission system. Bad door locking system, fuel access door is part of the door lock system, Makes the system faulty dosen't lock the fuel door as it should

never again
By ADF

1999 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan

I have had a love/hate relationship with my S80. Beautiful styling, best seats in the business, great 8 speaker stereo. LOUSY reliability, Paid $15,000.00 at 5yrs old and 37,000 miles. Noisy front end, repairing strut mounts twice, engine mount, ball joints, rear shocks, broken fuel line in the tank, ABS speed sensor failure, repairs too numerous to remember. Cost of ownership is way too high with every repair costing $1000.00 or more each time. Volvo has proprietary software diagnostics which requires you take it to a Volvo dealer every or most every time. It's simply too unreliable and costly to own. Too bad, it is a top of the line car. SHAME on Volvo for the poor engineering.

Favorite Features

Style, best seats of any car, stereo, safety.

Suggested Improvements

Electronics, poor cup holder design, front end hardware not stout enough, things wear out too quickly. ALL dealer repairs are very costly.