1999 Volvo S80 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S80 model:
Please stay away from this car.
By jd1isa2 on 10/19/11 14:35 PM (PDT)

1999 Volvo S80 T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

I bought the car last year and has been a big vacuum due to all the repairs. from the transmission, to the airbags, to suspension. Everything went wrong. Stalled on me several times. Bought it because of the Volvo safety reputation, but totally not worth it. Heard the later versions are markedly better but I'm staying away from this car.

Never again
By Some kind of Luck on 11/09/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Volvo S80 T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

I wish this didn't turn such a bad experience for me. Ever since I got the car, it's been one problem to another. My mechanic was tired of seeing me. First it was the motor for the window, then timing belt, after that, the headlights and the engine lights, then the sensor, then the passenger's mirror and the driver's mirror. I hate this car. I used to crave having a volvo. I learn my lesson. The worst of it all, it's difficult to find used parts. Everything cost an arm and a leg. The money I spent on it went double for repairs. I will advised every one that I know not to buy this car. if I cannot enjoy something for at least a year, then what's the point?

great when working
By volvo s80 t6 on 12/25/09 15:55 PM (PST)

1999 Volvo S80 T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

had this car over three years and when it was good it was great, but had a consistent throttle problem that even the dealer couldn't figure out and also a engine sludge problem even though the oil was changed at 3k intervals, thought maybe this was a t6 problem but as i see the base model has repeat problems that are common with other volvos, these are obviously not the volvos of yesteryear.I would purchase another volvo, but definitely not a turbo of any kind

Just keeps going
By Volvonate on 09/09/09 09:08 AM (PDT)

1999 Volvo S80 T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

This car just continues to run, i bought it really cheap with problems on the dash, but the car refuses to quit! i turn it over every time and it just keeps driving. i first made the switch to volvo a few years ago and it was a s70 and they both have been top notch cars!

Head lights
By Concern Volvo lover on 06/05/09 15:38 PM (PDT)

1999 Volvo S80 T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

I purchased my vehicle used, and thought I was getting a good deal. I'm a volvo lover from the 70's, and I swear by volvos for their dependability etc. However this year of volvo has many bugs to be worked out. For example my headlights would not go out when I turned my car off. I called the dealer, and it took an expensive of well over $600 dollars to correct the problem. That's not including having to buy a new light switch at a cost of $200.00. I had to replace my gear shift twice because it would break when ever I parked my car on an incline, and tried to shift from park to drive. I will always stick with volvo, but not that year. It seem as though the Volvo creators took a nap.

What did they do to Volvo???
By Volvofan on 05/04/09 11:25 AM (PDT)

1999 Volvo S80 T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

I love Volvo's. I have a '97 850, a '92 740, a '90 740, and this 1999 S80. Beautiful car, fun to drive, excellent gas mileage. BUT, VERY unreliable and VERY expensive repairs. Try a $700 rear-view mirror, a shifter that just breaks: $700 part alone ($1,400 repair bill at Dealer), a brake Booster (~$600 part alone)? Front Suspension problems, turbo bearings (twice!), pillar headliner falling off, rubber cracking, car dying when accelerating (recall item), etc. Volvo's are known for safety, but this car.... All that said, if Volvo would have stepped up to the plate and provided some ack via price redux, ANYTHING... I'll stick with Volvo's, only I am purchasing them prior to 1999.

Horrible Experience
By crode22 on 04/20/09 08:12 AM (PDT)

1999 Volvo S80 T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car with 70,000 miles on it. I had it for 3 months when the power steering column broke that was 1k to fix, a few months later I have to get brakes fixed, this costs 1k for all four brakes. Now it is leaking oil and though I bought it for 15k two years ago I can't get more than 3k for a trade in. This car is fun to drive but not at all reliable.

Loved the Car, but it has not lasted
By Aussies on 02/03/09 15:07 PM (PST)

1999 Volvo S80 T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

All Volvo maintenance & service performed by Volvo. Taken for multiple service ref limp mode issue, hesitations, and brakes slipping driving from cold start. Oct2008 in limp mode then stopped dead after driven 40 miles. Towed to Volvo, Georgetown TX. Kept one week & said nothing wrong. Feb2009, after driven less than 2000 miles, took to Volvo Austin TX. S80 hesitated entering the service bay. Volvo wants $4000+ to repair right & left front spring seats, Hood shocks, Front brake pads, Front brake rotors, Four tie rods, Realignment, Lower right engine mount, Both lower control arms, Lower engine air guide, Transmission pan gasket, engine breather box, ETM dirty. How can all this be wrong now?

Bad Tranny Was The Last Straw
By WSV on 01/26/09 22:57 PM (PST)

1999 Volvo S80 T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

After buying the car used from a Volvo dealership, I had traction control module and transmission service urgent warnings within about two months. The car must have been rode hard in a prior life and had some serious electronic/mechanic issues. TCM was replaced after losing control and ending up in a ditch. Followed up by a near-fatal loss of power due to a faulty Electronic Throttle Module on an expressway surrounded by semis going 75mph (dealer replaced on recall). Last straw was another bout of Transmission Service Urgent warnings that the dealer claimed meant needing a new transmission at less than 80K miles. Knock on wood, my 2005 S80 T6 has been problem free for 8 months cross-country.

The Car that Couldn't
By My Great S80 LEMON on 10/19/08 08:24 AM (PDT)

1999 Volvo S80 T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

Turbo engine smooth and powerful, but many mechanical problems and design issues. Even SRS systems stop working, Volvo took no responsibility and left me with Un-Safe vehicle. Engineer could solve problem. Fuel Tank stop accepting fuel - Volvo could not explain, Fuel line broke within weeks after spending $2200 to fix other problems. Electronic Control Module (control for SRS is located beneath cup holderwhich leaked twice and cost me >$800 each time to fix. Volvo took responsibility for bad design or offered solution. Bottom line is Volvo and its dealers left me with expenses and estimates of more than $15,000 on a car with less than 86,000 miles and a lot less safe than older cars.