1999 Volvo S80 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S80 model:
hissing noise/brake concern
By jackson99 on 10/11/12 14:13 PM (PDT)

1999 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan

Been hearing a hissing noise now for several months..understand may be a booster problem? What's this going to cost and will it get worse and brakes eventually fail? Thanks for any help!

Wanted to Like...
By lynnmckeel on 08/15/12 21:03 PM (PDT)

1999 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan

I really wanted to like this car. It was so comfertable and I felt very safe all of the time. Drove like a dream. However it has been a constant money pit The car has 163,000 miles on it so it is old but its not going to last with out hundreds maybe thousands of dollars invested. Its been constant for the last two years: In addition routine work I have also had to replace struts, fix the fuel pump, the coils, the head light got busted and the electics have never been the same, the ac is shot, the power locks are shot, had to have the power steering fixed, and ALL of the fabric lining is coming off. Lots of money, time, and towing

Heed this warning! ( wish I would of)
By HEBES on 07/27/10 18:38 PM (PDT)

1999 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan

Purchased car used. Expected much more from this car. I was afraid to drive it shortly after I got it fearing what would break next. I swear anything I touched in that car would break or cause something else to break. Something as simple as trying to put a cd in the stereo ended up costing me a new stereo and caused some kind of urgent airbag warning. Every time I get in its a mystery what will happen or not happen. I gave up putting money into it and will drive the car until it refuses to move. There is nothing consistent about this car except for some item or feature failing to work.

GM Transmission
By Jim on 09/28/09 18:16 PM (PDT)

1999 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan

I have a 1999 Volvo S-80. I just had the tramission rebuilt, It was done by a friend of mine so the cost was cheaper than someone off the street. I was surprised that when my friend told me that the transmission was a General Motors product. The problem was the 3rd gear went out. The mechanic told me this was common in this type transmission weither it was in a Volvo or a GM product. The clutches in this type transmission are not as tight meaning the shift will be smoother, but this leaves weaknest in the shifting process but smooth. So if you have tranny problems it will problem be the 3rd gear clutches. But the good news is it will probably be a good old GM transmission.

never again
By ADF on 09/13/09 19:38 PM (PDT)

1999 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan

I have had a love/hate relationship with my S80. Beautiful styling, best seats in the business, great 8 speaker stereo. LOUSY reliability, Paid $15,000.00 at 5yrs old and 37,000 miles. Noisy front end, repairing strut mounts twice, engine mount, ball joints, rear shocks, broken fuel line in the tank, ABS speed sensor failure, repairs too numerous to remember. Cost of ownership is way too high with every repair costing $1000.00 or more each time. Volvo has proprietary software diagnostics which requires you take it to a Volvo dealer every or most every time. It's simply too unreliable and costly to own. Too bad, it is a top of the line car. SHAME on Volvo for the poor engineering.

Very happy after 9 years
By nyindallas on 08/06/09 22:18 PM (PDT)

1999 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan

This car is a good example why one should not get too wrapped up in reviews. After 9 years I can say this car still is a dream to drive. I love taking it on country roads where the handling is amazing. I have also driven a Mercedes E320 on the same road and while the E320 has more power, it does not handle turns as well and does not come close in comfort.

Paint it yellow and call it a lemon
By jzeltvay on 06/09/09 10:46 AM (PDT)

1999 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan

I was so excited when I first purchased my new Volvo. Even though it was a bit pricey, I was looking forward to getting 300,000 miles out of it. My first clue should have been when a position light message came on when I was driving it home from the dealer my first day. I have had multiple problems since that day. Under warranty the rings had to be replaced with <20,000 miles on it. I have spent thousands of $$ to try to figure out why my check engine light stays on. Over $4000 to have it fixed and 50 miles later the light came on again. Now my emissions light keeps coming on. 3 oxygen sensors later, it still comes on. Plan to put it in gear, run it off the mountain and collect the ins.

Fake Transmission Issue
By wusup2u on 05/01/09 20:08 PM (PDT)

1999 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan

I bought a white 1999 S80 2.9 Executive (surround sound stereo with 4-disk CD changer and performance suspension and handling) with exactly 90,000 miles on it in September, 2008 for $5,500. I test drove it and it ran great! Two weeks after I bought it, the "attention" triangle lit up red and the status screen said "Transmission service urgent." I had the transmission rebuilt which was luckily covered under the warranty I purchased for from the dealer. After the rebuild, the warning came up again. I took it to my local Volvo dealership and they found out that the Mass Air Flow Sensor was bad and it has been a great car ever since! Easy $175 fix because of labor.

Loved it!
By nwkent25 on 10/28/08 23:19 PM (PDT)

1999 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan

I bought mine wrecked with 70k miles-- my dad owns a shop and he fixed it and then we moved across the country. It does excellent in bad snow, even with the winter driving off. I had no issues with this car whatsoever. My only issue was that parts cost so much and you really have to take it to the dealer for just an oil change because no one carries the filter. It's pretty fast for a full size sedan and mine got 25-28 mpg. The stereo sound is pretty awesome for just being factory. If brand new ones weren't so expensive I would buy another.

Huge Repair Costs
By Brian on 08/31/08 20:46 PM (PDT)

1999 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan

I really enjoyed the car up until the 60k mile mark. The car slowly began to fall apart. I seemed to have had a $2K+ problem every few months. Every time I thought nothing else could go wrong, it did. I really figured the car was practically new from all the dealer repair visits. Lastly, after the transmission went (repairs exceeding $12k in a 3yr period) it was time to call it quits.