Bought for the kids but now I'm keeping this one
By k_in_austin on
2000 Volvo S70 Turbo 4dr Sedan AWD
I love this car. I did buy it initially as a safe vehicle for my teens but it drives so much better than my 2004 xc70. This car is a hidden gem--the 2000 model year was the last year this was made, the last year of truly Swedish Volvos, way ahead of it's time with side curtain airbags, also quite luxurious. Waited for a gem and found a base model with less than 100K, well cared for, bought for $4400. Have had it for 1 yr. I like that it is a great size, runs quietly, handles well, steering assist is just right, visibility terrific, seats comfortable.
Favorite Features
Handling, safety. This car is a pleasure to drive.
Suggested Improvements
This did make improvemenst over the prior incarnation which had a very awdward dashboard and the unlock buttons annoyingly in the center console. Still has flimsy cup holders. I personally like the boxiness because it means I have good sized windows and the car is very upright so great visibility. My later model volvo is the rounded type and it subtracts from visibility. Better mpg would be nice. If my much heavier xc70 can get 22mpg, this smaller one should do better. Also, before getting this whole era of Volvo's you need to know that the check engine light comes on frequently. Most of the time it is nothing, so it is helpful to have a trustworthy, non-dealer mechanic.
By k_in_austin
on 05/25/14 16:09 PM (PDT)

This was my review after buying the car almost 4 yrs ago. Still doing great and drives like a champ, moving onto child #4 to drive it. The leather is looking a bit worn on the seats and as other commented, the door panels are bumpy but those are cosmetics. Interestingly, at my last scheduled maintenance service, I found out that at least three of the Volvo mechanics have this vehicle for their kids or wives.