Used 2000 Volvo S70 GLT SE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Volvo S70 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S70 model:

They don't make 'em like this anymore!
By Anonymous

2000 Volvo S70 GLT SE Turbo 4dr Sedan

I've had my 2000 Volvo S70 GLT SE Turbo for 8 years (bought it used at auction) and it's going strong. It has 105K miles and no sign of slowing down. As this car ages, little things need fixing. But the overall build and reliability are fantastic. I stick to the suggested maintenance schedule and am told I can get 250K miles out of it. I love the turbo's torque as much as the top end smoothness. I've never owned a car this long and it's because I simply don't get bored driving it. It's not much to look at, but when you're sitting on the inside who cares. Bottom Line: FUN to drive and it never breaks down. Wish the S80 were a suitable alternative for when I finally trade it in.

- Seats are super comfortable. Great lumbar support and enough stiffness to give a sports car feel - Reliable - Zippy/fast, but still with good mileage - Love all the dashboard buttons...reminds me of the Saab - With a set of snow tires, performs very well in the snow

- Plastic cupholders have broken a couple times...very flimsy - 12 volt outlet can sink into the console if pushed too hard...needed to beef it up - Boxy exterior design, but it's a 2000 Volvo. 10 years ago this was cool!

2000 Volvo GLT SE Turbo
By Amy

2000 Volvo S70 GLT SE Turbo 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used at 136k miles. This car handles like a dream and the turbo gets you out of situations like people you like to box you in on the highway. The A/C however is intermitant and don't know why. Going to bring it in to get that looked at. I want to feel safe with my new son and don't want a minivan and look like a soccer mom. There is plenty of space in the trunk for the stroller and groceries. I would recommend this car.

The leather seats, roomy trunk, turbo and the classic styling.

Cup holders! They are flimsy pieces of plastic that break!

Odd, but comfortable
By techie

2000 Volvo S70 GLT SE Turbo 4dr Sedan

We bought this car for the safety and the incredibly comfortable seats, but we wouldn't buy another one. It has odd quirks, like the junky cupholders in the front and the lack of any trunk light, that are annoying for a car at this price level. The dangerous trouble with the jerky electronic throttle (ETS) really scared us, especially when we got the bill for the repair. Fortunately, Volvo did the right thing and reimbursed us for the repair and, at least at first, warrantied it for life. However the class action suit for this problem seems to indicate a shorter warranty. It's now a recall, so get it fixed before it stops working altogether.

Heated leather seats, safety, moonroof.

Cupholders, trunk light, light bulb longevity, warranty the throttle system repairs for life, trunk latch seems to pop open on its own sometimes.

Last Volvo
By Jeff Barnes

2000 Volvo S70 GLT SE Turbo 4dr Sedan

This has been the most expensive car I've ever had to own. I wouldn't say it's very reliable either Warranty service was fair at best. I dread the check engine light going on. That's never less than a $1,000. I like the way the car looks and drives but I can't afford it or can I rely on it.

Bring back the S70 body style!!!
By Turbomolar

2000 Volvo S70 GLT SE Turbo 4dr Sedan

Most people don't realize how easy it is to customize their Volvos. With a simple ECU change, intake and exhaust upgrade, your S70 GLT SE can easily add another 40hp and 70torque. And upgrading to a lighter 17" aftermarket rims(I recommend the 17.5 lb. SSR-GT1 wheel.) with wider tires transforms this boxy grandpa car into a sexy, agressive, turbobrick! ;) I love my S70. Too bad Volvo stopped making this body style. Guess I'll have to get a XC70 next. Anyways...no real problems have arisen in the past 5 years(except for the turn signal recall that was easily fixed). Let's all email Volvo and tell them to bring the S70 body style back!

Gotta love the sleek, boxy, classic Volvo look. Interior is very comfortable--both physically and visulaly. I like how the boost from the turbocharger can be easily adjusted with aftermarket ECU upgrades. Car also brakes exceptionally well. Too bad the new S60's are so small and rounded.

Shoulda offered a "Sport Package" that included basic improvements like 17" rims, high-flow exhaust, cold-air intake, and big bore throttle body. T5 engine plus AWD would have been nice.