1999 Volvo S70 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S70 model:
Last good Volvo
By Josh on 07/14/05 11:07 AM (PDT)

1999 Volvo S70 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I have next to no problems with my car. It now has 90k on it and still going strong like Volvo's do. I would not buy a new one than a 1999, Ford really wrecked the things Volvo stood for (tank like and indestructible).

Volvo = Tank
By ed on 07/07/05 18:38 PM (PDT)

1999 Volvo S70 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I have owned this car for five years and have been very happy with it. The car is heavy but the handling is excellent. The torque is somewhat under powered without the turbo. Super car built like a tank.

I <3 my volvo
By l8ydrgn on 06/29/05 16:25 PM (PDT)

1999 Volvo S70 Sedan T5 Turbo 4dr Sedan

This is my first volvo and I'm never going back! The car is comfortable on long drives, is reliable and has great performance in all weather conditions.

Overall I got what i hoped I was getting
By dean koppenhaver on 06/11/05 19:20 PM (PDT)

1999 Volvo S70 Sedan 4dr Sedan

Having only owned this vehicle for a month a guess I should have had the opportunity to say N/A for the reliability. But being on the road five days a week and driving approximately 2000 miles a month, I think I can fairly assess everything else. Performance wise, the spunky little 2.4 5L has plenty of pep (no,not as performance based as an Audi or VW) and handles corners cleanly. Ergonomically, in some regards Volvo needs to be more intuitive with small things like better front cupholders. On a plus, this car is the simplest vehicle there is when it comes to changing a brake or tail light. Build quality is where I got what I hoped for, a solid, safe, fun to drive, car!

Light bulb of the month club
By JIM on 02/19/05 17:57 PM (PST)

1999 Volvo S70 Sedan T5 Turbo 4dr Sedan

Blows lights all the time; constantly replacing. Master cylinder replaced at 61k!!! T5 eats tires (3 sets in 70k, z rated tires are very soft). Also on 3rd battery (1 covered by firestone warranty). Power seats do not always operate. However, sound system is very good. Uses 93 octane gasoline.

Maintenance Cost Way to Much!!!
By Scott on 12/10/04 18:13 PM (PST)

1999 Volvo S70 Sedan 4dr Sedan

Seems there was always something wrong with this car. If you are looking to buy this car it is a MUST to have an Extended Warranty. If you don't you will go broke very quickly!!

Love it Love it Love it
By cpk_178 on 10/29/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volvo S70 Sedan T5 Turbo 4dr Sedan

Bought my T5 on ebay, Love the visual lines, lack of blind spots, overall performance is incredible. Slight hesitation in the turbo boost is forgotten once the apparent endless flow of HP kicks in! I prefer my 5 spd to auto trans as the control over the HP makes the car a real trip to drive. Volvo also makes the most comfortable seats of any manufacturer I have experienced. The ride is solid and my upgraded Michelins have resulted in a ride that would rival most new cars. I love my T5 (my wife will confirm) and will drive it for many years to come... Only improvements are flimsy cupholders and that my turbo eats gas at an alarming rate (that's the tradeoff)

Mechanical nightmare
By aekrmk on 09/08/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volvo S70 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan AWD

Do not buy a Volvo! It is a racket on getting repair if warranty is up. No places do repair b/c of the cost for them to get software, therefore usually there is only 1 dealer in town that can do repairs and the take advantage of that. My S70 has so many electrical problems it is a joke and what is worse is the cost to fix. Really do your homework before you buy a volvo. I have owned many cars and it is by far the most unrealiable car I have ever had. good luck

safe, reliable, high performance
By Doug M. on 09/06/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volvo S70 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan AWD

This is a great car for long trips. Comfortable seats (wife loves seat heaters). Everyone praises rear seat room. AWD is great in snow, and has good gas mileage unlike SUV (approx 18/25 city/hwy). Car is fast, handles great, stops great. 60,000 mi service is $1000, other service is every 7,500 mi and cost $100-200. We have done maintenance only. Our car is well used and has a hard life, it is completely reliable and feels more solid than new cars of other makes.

1999 Red Volvo S70, aka. Cherry Bomb
By DC Volvo Driver on 08/23/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volvo S70 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I normally wouldn't do a review, but seeing how this had such a high rating...I had to speak up. I bought this car back in September and I've had nothing but problems. So far I've replaced the Mass Air Flow sensor, power steering pump and hoses, rear stablizer, part of the dashboard, rubber stripping on windshield, sensor lights going off all the time....I do a little prayer everytime I get in the car that nothing will malfunction. I will say it's a nice shade of red, and is a smooth ride when all is working well...