Used 1999 Volvo S70 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S70 model:

My 1999 Volvo S70 sedan experience
By David

1999 Volvo S70 Sedan 4dr Sedan

Bought the car new and have ever since. Volvos are not worth original luxuary prices. Overall experience is okay. The 162 hp engine is too small for the car. For 172 hp, one needs to add turbo($2000 extra). At high speed with A/C running, it has no power left to pass. Interior noise and engine whinning at low speed are annoying. Suspension is too stiff and you feel all bumps. It has been pretty much trouble free and dependable so far. Good looking and excellent paint job and A/C. Master brake failed at 55000 mile. Repair is very expensive. Depreciation of all Volvos are abominable for European automobile. As bad as Jaguar.

Good gas mileage for 5 cylinder - Highway 33/32, city 19/18 Structurally sound and good external design. Being a boxy looking car, it is roomy inside. Good family car. Used Volvos are good value for your money but new Volvos are not.

Manufacturer needs to think of their cars as luxury automobiles, competing in prices with Lexus, BMW and Mercedes Benz, instead of European concepts of Volvos as merely utility vehicles. Value for money. Better suspension system. Noisy interior. Better interior fit and finish

Last of the Originals
By Dan

1999 Volvo S70 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan AWD

This is the last of the all-Swedish Volvo, and the turbo and AWD make for an impressive package. I believe this car got lost in the confusion over Ford sale. Agree with many of the past reviews, but the turbo really does give impressive performance to what is a somewhat heavy car. Handling is sure no sports car but not bad either. I bought the car new, then transferred to my mom, who still has it, so we have a good perspective, and the car runs well at 80k miles. On the other hand, the car is noisier than it should be at highway speeds and engine vibration is noticible.

Flexible interior with 60/40 rear seats and large trunk. Very solid feel, but not underpowered. AWD does very well in wet conditions.

As others said, repairs and routine maintainence (which is needed very frequently according to the manual) are expensive. Sometimes the warning light is not joking, and my mom had a $2,000 dealer repair at 50k miles.

Big, safe, and good on gas
By volvo86

1999 Volvo S70 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I am very happy with my S70. I used to drive an Acura Integra and am very impressed with the fuel economy in my Volvo S70. The S70 is much larger than the Integra, feels much safer and gets the same fuel economy (both 30mpg). These cars cost over $30,000 new and are bargains now. Front and side air bags, Heats seats, head light wipers, cd and tape player, quality leather, dual zone climate, and other luxuries are what made me pick this over a used Honda Accord. Volvos also have legendary reliability and I am hoping this one will continue to be problem free. I have had problems with my Acura (aka Honda). I am having a much better experience with Volvo.

Heated seats, factory 6 inch speakers, safe and fuel efficient (usually don't go together), comfortable, European feel. A very expensive car when new that is now affordable to most.

Bring back the boxy look. I guess my S70's curves will have to grow on me.

Smooth ride after the speedbumps
By Jake

1999 Volvo S70 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I have had this Volvo for 6 years, 75,000 miles, and it has been great. The major problems I have had with the car came around 90k miles when the ETC and ABS had to be replaced. The ETC is a recalled defect and the ABS happened to go with it in my case. The car is easy to maintain and has plenty of room to work in the engine compartment. Lights are easy to change; I don't even scratch my hands doing it. Maintenance procedures are easy to perform on this car which is more than I can say for many other cars. Parts are also sold at reasonable prices and readily available from vendors online. There are also great resources for maintenance, etc. online. I wish I could drive this car forever.

The best features of this car are the safety features, comfortable seats, ease of access to important parts, readily available resources online, and the sporty ride compromised with a comfortable ride. Passengers have complimented on the spacious interior in the rear seats.

The kick panels are poorly secured and need to reinforced with screws to hold them up. The cup holders are flimsy. The ETC is faulty, it will fail at around 90k miles if it isn't dealth with (make sure it has been replaced and/or fixed and the software has been updated at the dealer).

First impressions
By russ

1999 Volvo S70 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan AWD

Just bought the car last week. Very fun to drive. My only disappointment is the cup holders. They are too small and being located in the console lid make the console usless when they are full. That having been said, the car is a kick, very comfortable, sporty ride, luxurious interior.

Memory seats and AWD.

More storage for stuff like CDs, garage door openers, etc. More low end torque, the car redlines too fast in the low gears.

• SUV