Used 1999 Volvo S70 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Most Helpful|
My 1999 Volvo S70 sedan experience
By David

1999 Volvo S70 Sedan 4dr Sedan

Bought the car new and have ever since. Volvos are not worth original luxuary prices. Overall experience is okay. The 162 hp engine is too small for the car. For 172 hp, one needs to add turbo($2000 extra). At high speed with A/C running, it has no power left to pass. Interior noise and engine whinning at low speed are annoying. Suspension is too stiff and you feel all bumps. It has been pretty much trouble free and dependable so far. Good looking and excellent paint job and A/C. Master brake failed at 55000 mile. Repair is very expensive. Depreciation of all Volvos are abominable for European automobile. As bad as Jaguar.

Favorite Features

Good gas mileage for 5 cylinder - Highway 33/32, city 19/18 Structurally sound and good external design. Being a boxy looking car, it is roomy inside. Good family car. Used Volvos are good value for your money but new Volvos are not.

Suggested Improvements

Manufacturer needs to think of their cars as luxury automobiles, competing in prices with Lexus, BMW and Mercedes Benz, instead of European concepts of Volvos as merely utility vehicles. Value for money. Better suspension system. Noisy interior. Better interior fit and finish

OK Car
By bw626

1999 Volvo S70 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used as a gas mileage car. It was almost ten years old with just over 100,000 miles when I bought it. Since then, the antenna broke, the door hinge broke, the power locks only work on the right rear door. The build quality is ok, but the materials are cheap. The dash is really squeaky and there are a lot of rattles. I like the safety ratings, fuel economy but everything else is just okay. Out of five stars, I give this car a 2.5. Would I buy another Volvo? Maybe a new one.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy, safety, and interior looks pretty good.

Suggested Improvements

Cheap materials, okay reliability, and the power locks, which don't work.

Bi-polar Car
By sjdrury

1999 Volvo S70 Sedan T5 Turbo 4dr Sedan

Overall, being a high-school kid who has parents to pay for silly things like $1000 repairs once every few months, I love it. Sometimes the dashboard warnings light up like a Christmas tree, and other times it tells me everything is running fine. Sometimes I feel like I'm in a sporty sedan, other times, I feel like I'm in an old boat that's about to fall to bits. Be ready for repairs. When it's running as it should, it's a sportier car than you would ever guess by looking at it, and the driver's seat is a nice place to be.

Favorite Features

The turbo sounds as it should. It can go 130+ mph, even in its old age, while still feeling stable. It's definitely unique. Somehow, the speakers still have excellent bass... and that's coming from a high-schooler who plays music loud on a daily basis. The leather is nice, the brakes are good, I hear it has tons of airbags, and the police never suspect anything from an old Volvo. Even the little things like the sound of the square doors firmly shutting, or the feel of the key in the lock are so nice.

Suggested Improvements

After driving a 1993 Honda Accord, my Volvo is a huge, huge improvement in every way except reliability. Yeah, I just tried to think of another way, and I couldn't... it's just reliability. The Volvo dealerships where you need to go for a lot of those repairs don't make it any easier either.

1999 volvo s70 base 5 speed
By sj_volvo_s70

1999 Volvo S70 Sedan 4dr Sedan

What can I say that has not already been said. Very noisy dashboard, pathetic acceleration.. Air conditioner decides to stop working after its been working fine all day, wind noise, power door locks not working, and the locks in the back are at the rear of the door, very tough to reach... The need to always have the code reader in the car, just in case!!! Very poorly design throttle-body.. gets dirty really easy causing most drive-ability problems.. MPG not good for a small 5 cylinder with 5 speed manual low-mid 20's.. my 99 e320 with a v6 and auto 27+ mpg...

Favorite Features

On the plus sides.. The car is sized right, It has pretty good handling. stops excellent. the seats are ok with some adjustments. back seats fold down.. there is room under the hood for most repairs..

Suggested Improvements

Better engine.. maybe hire a japanese or korean company to design and build your computer, wiring, sensors.. and anything else made by Bosch...

THIS IS JUST HONEST
By TOO BAD

1999 Volvo S70 Sedan GLT Turbo 4dr Sedan

I so wanted a volvo. Less than a year after purchasing my car my check engine light went on - it has basically been on ever since. Try passing AIMS test with that. I have paid several times to have the car hooked up to a "Volvo" computer to get the problem codes. Ater a while, I just taped a picture of my dog over the numerous lights that go off and on for no apparent reason. It is comfortable inside and looks great on the outside. Hate the cup holders (what genius designed that) Anyway, hate the thought of buying another car but may have to - will it be a volvo, for sure - NOT. Give me the basic designs of the 60's and 70's when you used to be able to change your own oil!

Favorite Features

Love the comfort of the inside, the look on the outside. Plenty of head room while I am waiving my arms around swearing at the many lights going off on the dash.

Suggested Improvements

CUP HOLDERS, CUP HOLDERS, CUP HOLDERS. ALSO DONT MAKE THE THINGS SO SENSITIVE THAT YOUR CHECK ENGINE LIGHT GOES OFF DUE TO LOOSE GAS CAP, PRETTY EASY REVENUE, ISNT IT!