1999 Volvo S70 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S70 model:
1999 volvo s70 base 5 speed
By sj_volvo_s70 on 06/17/14 22:11 PM (PDT)

1999 Volvo S70 Sedan 4dr Sedan

What can I say that has not already been said. Very noisy dashboard, pathetic acceleration.. Air conditioner decides to stop working after its been working fine all day, wind noise, power door locks not working, and the locks in the back are at the rear of the door, very tough to reach... The need to always have the code reader in the car, just in case!!! Very poorly design throttle-body.. gets dirty really easy causing most drive-ability problems.. MPG not good for a small 5 cylinder with 5 speed manual low-mid 20's.. my 99 e320 with a v6 and auto 27+ mpg...

OK car
By bw626 on 07/20/10 21:10 PM (PDT)

1999 Volvo S70 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought this used with 120,000 as a gas mileage car. To tell you the truth, it only gets one more MPG than my Chevy Tahoe. The interior is kind of cheap and until it died in the middle of the road, it was decent mechanically. Now, with 130,000 miles on it, it doesn't run and know one can figure out why. The engine dies when you accelerate it. Overall: This is the first import I've owned since a 1981 BMW 8 series, and I think I will stick to American cars. My Chevys and Pontiacs have never given me problems. I don't think I will go back to Volvos, because I am very disappointed in the reliability.

OK Car
By bw626 on 05/29/10 20:47 PM (PDT)

1999 Volvo S70 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used as a gas mileage car. It was almost ten years old with just over 100,000 miles when I bought it. Since then, the antenna broke, the door hinge broke, the power locks only work on the right rear door. The build quality is ok, but the materials are cheap. The dash is really squeaky and there are a lot of rattles. I like the safety ratings, fuel economy but everything else is just okay. Out of five stars, I give this car a 2.5. Would I buy another Volvo? Maybe a new one.

Throttle body nightmare
By Volvo disappointment on 08/19/09 04:30 AM (PDT)

1999 Volvo S70 Sedan 4dr Sedan

My wife and I had this car for 7 years, it had 113,000 miles and it has had it problems in the past. Most of which were covered by the 100,000 mile / 10 year warranty for the ETS system. We had off anf on problems with the ETS system the past few years. Today it went into limp mode and the dealer told us it was out of warranty now (over 10 years by 6 months). and it was going to cost $1000 to fix and replace the throttle body and reflash the computer. Volvo has known about this problem for years and I think it harable to allow customers to bear the brunt of this cost. It only has 113,000 miles for god sake. To sell it in running order would be about $3,000. So why would I dump $1000. BAD

BARS COOLANT LEAK CURED OIL/H20 MIXTURE
By Tony on 07/25/09 21:06 PM (PDT)

1999 Volvo S70 Sedan 4dr Sedan

So far the car is great despite all the beatings.

By RF on 06/24/09 14:26 PM (PDT)

1999 Volvo S70 Sedan 4dr Sedan

Bought the car in 01 mostly due to the safety factor especially after 3 totals in 18 months. At first loved the car and still kind of do. Rides hard and it is expensive to keep up. As well to change the oil you have to go to the dealership since no one can reset the computer. Otherwise the oil light will come on and glare at you...oil change is nearly $70 and nothing special about it. Repairs at the dealership are expensive...go to an independent for most things, better pricing. Like it, won't buy another one however. No compelling reason to with the others ranking there in safety and other reasons that I bought a Volvo for.

Better than expected
By Ad on 05/24/09 00:44 AM (PDT)

1999 Volvo S70 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I have read many reviews of people complaining about Volvo reliability. I found my car to be trouble free. It is the base model without the turbo, so that could be part of the reason. The car feels very solid and is very fun to drive. My other car is an 80's Porsche and I enjoy this car just as much. It is comfortable after a long day at work, and I don't mind driving it in rain or snow. Aside from normal oil changes, I am replacing my original struts that have 134,000 miles on them. Everything else seems find and I plan to drive this car for a very long time. If I were to sell it, it would be for a T5 S70. The best fuel economy I received was 32mpg. This is excellent considering the safety.

What a lemon
By Disappointed on 11/15/08 11:52 AM (PST)

1999 Volvo S70 Sedan 4dr Sedan

This car was a problem from a month after I bought it. It wouldn't start. Back to dealership about 4 times on flatbed truck. Dealer was great. Car not. Then problem finally solved, and all sorts of little things went wrong. Antenna gear broke, driver's door hinge broke, trunk hinge broke, trunk lock broke, air bag stopped working, and a big thing, stalled on freeway. Never buy another Volvo. I'm heartbroken.

My 1999 Volvo S70 sedan experience
By David on 09/14/08 19:38 PM (PDT)

1999 Volvo S70 Sedan 4dr Sedan

Bought the car new and have ever since. Volvos are not worth original luxuary prices. Overall experience is okay. The 162 hp engine is too small for the car. For 172 hp, one needs to add turbo($2000 extra). At high speed with A/C running, it has no power left to pass. Interior noise and engine whinning at low speed are annoying. Suspension is too stiff and you feel all bumps. It has been pretty much trouble free and dependable so far. Good looking and excellent paint job and A/C. Master brake failed at 55000 mile. Repair is very expensive. Depreciation of all Volvos are abominable for European automobile. As bad as Jaguar.

Big, safe, and good on gas
By volvo86 on 06/01/08 21:37 PM (PDT)

1999 Volvo S70 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I am very happy with my S70. I used to drive an Acura Integra and am very impressed with the fuel economy in my Volvo S70. The S70 is much larger than the Integra, feels much safer and gets the same fuel economy (both 30mpg). These cars cost over $30,000 new and are bargains now. Front and side air bags, Heats seats, head light wipers, cd and tape player, quality leather, dual zone climate, and other luxuries are what made me pick this over a used Honda Accord. Volvos also have legendary reliability and I am hoping this one will continue to be problem free. I have had problems with my Acura (aka Honda). I am having a much better experience with Volvo.