Used 1999 Volvo S70 Base Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S70 model:

1999 volvo s70 base 5 speed
By sj_volvo_s70

1999 Volvo S70 Sedan 4dr Sedan

What can I say that has not already been said. Very noisy dashboard, pathetic acceleration.. Air conditioner decides to stop working after its been working fine all day, wind noise, power door locks not working, and the locks in the back are at the rear of the door, very tough to reach... The need to always have the code reader in the car, just in case!!! Very poorly design throttle-body.. gets dirty really easy causing most drive-ability problems.. MPG not good for a small 5 cylinder with 5 speed manual low-mid 20's.. my 99 e320 with a v6 and auto 27+ mpg...

On the plus sides.. The car is sized right, It has pretty good handling. stops excellent. the seats are ok with some adjustments. back seats fold down.. there is room under the hood for most repairs..

Better engine.. maybe hire a japanese or korean company to design and build your computer, wiring, sensors.. and anything else made by Bosch...

OK car
By bw626

1999 Volvo S70 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought this used with 120,000 as a gas mileage car. To tell you the truth, it only gets one more MPG than my Chevy Tahoe. The interior is kind of cheap and until it died in the middle of the road, it was decent mechanically. Now, with 130,000 miles on it, it doesn't run and know one can figure out why. The engine dies when you accelerate it. Overall: This is the first import I've owned since a 1981 BMW 8 series, and I think I will stick to American cars. My Chevys and Pontiacs have never given me problems. I don't think I will go back to Volvos, because I am very disappointed in the reliability.

the cruise control is easy to engage and the seats are comfortable.

very little room in back seat, mechanical issues, interior quality and cheapness of materials

OK Car
By bw626

1999 Volvo S70 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used as a gas mileage car. It was almost ten years old with just over 100,000 miles when I bought it. Since then, the antenna broke, the door hinge broke, the power locks only work on the right rear door. The build quality is ok, but the materials are cheap. The dash is really squeaky and there are a lot of rattles. I like the safety ratings, fuel economy but everything else is just okay. Out of five stars, I give this car a 2.5. Would I buy another Volvo? Maybe a new one.

Fuel economy, safety, and interior looks pretty good.

Cheap materials, okay reliability, and the power locks, which don't work.

Throttle body nightmare
By Volvo disappointment

1999 Volvo S70 Sedan 4dr Sedan

My wife and I had this car for 7 years, it had 113,000 miles and it has had it problems in the past. Most of which were covered by the 100,000 mile / 10 year warranty for the ETS system. We had off anf on problems with the ETS system the past few years. Today it went into limp mode and the dealer told us it was out of warranty now (over 10 years by 6 months). and it was going to cost $1000 to fix and replace the throttle body and reflash the computer. Volvo has known about this problem for years and I think it harable to allow customers to bear the brunt of this cost. It only has 113,000 miles for god sake. To sell it in running order would be about $3,000. So why would I dump $1000. BAD

BARS COOLANT LEAK CURED OIL/H20 MIXTURE
By Tony

1999 Volvo S70 Sedan 4dr Sedan

So far the car is great despite all the beatings.

Full throlle growl.Midsize.

Owners are being ripped off via maintenance issues,second hand parts on e-bay/other source will save tons. Headgasket issue is common,whitish froth showing on the oil cap and oil dipstick.I used a large bottle of BARS leak coolant sealer.45K after the motor is purring strong.No more H20/oil mixture

• SUV