1999 Volvo S70 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S70 model:
Stay Away
By mecjac on 05/23/13 15:38 PM (PDT)

1999 Volvo S70 Sedan GLT Turbo 4dr Sedan

Always told Volvo's were reliable cars. This one has had problems since day one. I have gone through 2 sets of O2 sensors and its ready for a 3rd, used both Volvo and OEM before. 02 sensor harnesses. Replaced throttle body. Oil breather box, emissions system, and PCV needs replaced. Replaced ball joints and tie rod ends. Steering still makes noise. Power steering fluid leak. Cam seal oil leak. 2 heater cores replaced. Ate 2 sets of breaks and rotors in 50K. Turbo needs rebuilt. Fuses and bulbs go out all time. Electric seat motors are going out. Cup holders are poorly designed.

Great Car - Until 170,000 miles
By Bill on 05/25/10 07:56 AM (PDT)

1999 Volvo S70 Sedan GLT Turbo 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car used in 2000 with about 11,000 miles. It was absolutely perfect until about 170,000 when the Electronic Throttle Module failed. Before buying any used Volvo from this time period I would thoroughly research the ETM and the problems it's caused. It's a very expensive part, and the replacement is just as likely to fail as the original. And since replacing mine, I've had several other problems with it and related parts. I've completely lost confidence in the car. Having said that, it was a great car for 10 years.

THIS IS JUST HONEST
By TOO BAD on 08/03/09 09:54 AM (PDT)

1999 Volvo S70 Sedan GLT Turbo 4dr Sedan

I so wanted a volvo. Less than a year after purchasing my car my check engine light went on - it has basically been on ever since. Try passing AIMS test with that. I have paid several times to have the car hooked up to a "Volvo" computer to get the problem codes. Ater a while, I just taped a picture of my dog over the numerous lights that go off and on for no apparent reason. It is comfortable inside and looks great on the outside. Hate the cup holders (what genius designed that) Anyway, hate the thought of buying another car but may have to - will it be a volvo, for sure - NOT. Give me the basic designs of the 60's and 70's when you used to be able to change your own oil!

Overall, best value
By Dez on 11/08/07 14:10 PM (PST)

1999 Volvo S70 Sedan GLT Turbo 4dr Sedan

Overall, I would rate this car as having exceptional value for its age. Bought a year and a half ago, at 125000+ miles she is still going strong mechanically and electronically, and still looks like she just left the dealership. I have had offers to trade/sell for a new Volvo because the demand for used S70s is high (great car to pass to the kids). The only issues have been the oil system, which needed repair once one month after purchase because of insufficient oil flow to the cams, and replacement of the coolant resivoir. Repairs were due to normal wear/age, and not derived from poor build quality. Quick and smooth performance, intuitive interior layout, and timeless design.

Great car
By Mojovolvo on 11/06/06 21:15 PM (PST)

1999 Volvo S70 Sedan GLT Turbo 4dr Sedan

I really have enjoyed owning this car. In manages to be compact on the outside, yet so roomy on the inside. It's getting old now, and has 160,000 miles on it, but people still comment, "I like your NEW Volvo", and every time someone new gets in they say, "wow, this car is comfortable!" Beyond that, it never breaks, is fun to drive, returns reasonable mileage, and is incredibly practical.

Great Car Fantastic Durabilty
By Chris on 03/05/06 13:15 PM (PST)

1999 Volvo S70 Sedan GLT Turbo 4dr Sedan

This car is one of the best for reliabitly. Can be an annoying problem with electrical warning lights sometimes going off for no reason. Everyone seems to have that check engine problem. Car still looks and runs great.

Great Car
By Jefster on 12/02/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Volvo S70 Sedan GLT Turbo 4dr Sedan

My wife and I bought this car because of the safety ratings that volvo was known for. It has been a great car so far. We have has the same types of problems that other owners have had with the electronic system with it being very sensitive. I had to take it to the dealership because the check engine light was on and the reason for the check engine light was because of the gas cap was not fully on. I also had to buy a new cup holder and rear view mirror because I did not grease it.

Dependability, Reliability & Performance
By CDD on 09/01/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volvo S70 Sedan GLT Turbo 4dr Sedan

Great car for high mileage drivers. I purchased my 99 S70 GLT in late 09/2002 and have already put 50K miles on the car. Mileage is now approaching 97K. My 1993 850 GLT had over 215K when is was wrecked & totaled in 2002. We also bought a 99 V70 in 07/2002. Both cars have required minimal service except routing maintenance. The turbo in the S70 GLT definitely makes a difference in acceleration, especially if you have passengers and/or a full trunk.

Tried and True - even in a box
By Nancydrew1970 on 08/13/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volvo S70 Sedan GLT Turbo 4dr Sedan

I grew up in a family where 3 of our 4 family cars were Volvos: 240DL; 760 Turbo and some long wagon. This car is my first Volvo (not counting the 240 I drove at 16). Originally I thought I would want the S40 but it was just entirely too small and I've always been a "box" bodystyle fan. The S70 has the right amount of leg room, head room and hip room. My ownly concerns: electrial. On my drive home from the dealership I encountered a check engine light and the turn signals stopped working. I hope this isn't a trend. Glad I bought the extented warranty to 2006.

I love this car!
By Wizkid on 08/02/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volvo S70 Sedan GLT Turbo 4dr Sedan

It has the euro-feel that makes driving fun. It is so responsive. Downside: Too small for a family of 4.