1999 Volvo S70 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S70 model:
1999 volvo s70 base 5 speed
By sj_volvo_s70 on 06/17/14 22:11 PM (PDT)

1999 Volvo S70 Sedan 4dr Sedan

What can I say that has not already been said. Very noisy dashboard, pathetic acceleration.. Air conditioner decides to stop working after its been working fine all day, wind noise, power door locks not working, and the locks in the back are at the rear of the door, very tough to reach... The need to always have the code reader in the car, just in case!!! Very poorly design throttle-body.. gets dirty really easy causing most drive-ability problems.. MPG not good for a small 5 cylinder with 5 speed manual low-mid 20's.. my 99 e320 with a v6 and auto 27+ mpg...

Stay Away
By mecjac on 05/23/13 15:38 PM (PDT)

1999 Volvo S70 Sedan GLT Turbo 4dr Sedan

Always told Volvo's were reliable cars. This one has had problems since day one. I have gone through 2 sets of O2 sensors and its ready for a 3rd, used both Volvo and OEM before. 02 sensor harnesses. Replaced throttle body. Oil breather box, emissions system, and PCV needs replaced. Replaced ball joints and tie rod ends. Steering still makes noise. Power steering fluid leak. Cam seal oil leak. 2 heater cores replaced. Ate 2 sets of breaks and rotors in 50K. Turbo needs rebuilt. Fuses and bulbs go out all time. Electric seat motors are going out. Cup holders are poorly designed.

Bi-polar Car
By sjdrury on 12/02/12 21:27 PM (PST)

1999 Volvo S70 Sedan T5 Turbo 4dr Sedan

Overall, being a high-school kid who has parents to pay for silly things like $1000 repairs once every few months, I love it. Sometimes the dashboard warnings light up like a Christmas tree, and other times it tells me everything is running fine. Sometimes I feel like I'm in a sporty sedan, other times, I feel like I'm in an old boat that's about to fall to bits. Be ready for repairs. When it's running as it should, it's a sportier car than you would ever guess by looking at it, and the driver's seat is a nice place to be.

If you take care of it, it will take care of you
By fastredponycar on 10/12/12 11:44 AM (PDT)

1999 Volvo S70 Sedan T5 Turbo 4dr Sedan

first of all, for everyone whining about the thing breaking, it's a 15 year old car at this point. You HAVE to stay on top of the maintenance AND preventative maintenance. Failure to do so will mean small things can add up to big problems. That said, if you take care of the car, you will enjoy it. I had a 98 T5 and still have my 99 T5 and both have been trouble free and dirt cheap to own. At this point in their age, a check engine light is not a big deal. Everything that CAN go wrong with the car is documented on google so the mechanically inclined owner can fix most stuff at home and save a lot of money.

BEWARE, repairs are terrible at Volvo
By pletsch@bastrop.com on 09/06/10 21:22 PM (PDT)

1999 Volvo S70 Sedan T5 Turbo 4dr Sedan

1999 Volvo, bought for a daughter for college. Safe...well, when it actually runs..which is not often. Breakdown with Volvo having NO answers: yyou leave your 19 year old daughter stranded 5 times with no way to run the car. It's not a car at that point, it's a piece of junk and your kid is in a very vulnerable place! Will discuss with ANYONE: This is not a safe car!!!!!! And forward looking cars (newer than this one)appear to be no better: their IT problem solvers really are dismal...

OK car
By bw626 on 07/20/10 21:10 PM (PDT)

1999 Volvo S70 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought this used with 120,000 as a gas mileage car. To tell you the truth, it only gets one more MPG than my Chevy Tahoe. The interior is kind of cheap and until it died in the middle of the road, it was decent mechanically. Now, with 130,000 miles on it, it doesn't run and know one can figure out why. The engine dies when you accelerate it. Overall: This is the first import I've owned since a 1981 BMW 8 series, and I think I will stick to American cars. My Chevys and Pontiacs have never given me problems. I don't think I will go back to Volvos, because I am very disappointed in the reliability.

OK Car
By bw626 on 05/29/10 20:47 PM (PDT)

1999 Volvo S70 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used as a gas mileage car. It was almost ten years old with just over 100,000 miles when I bought it. Since then, the antenna broke, the door hinge broke, the power locks only work on the right rear door. The build quality is ok, but the materials are cheap. The dash is really squeaky and there are a lot of rattles. I like the safety ratings, fuel economy but everything else is just okay. Out of five stars, I give this car a 2.5. Would I buy another Volvo? Maybe a new one.

Great Car - Until 170,000 miles
By Bill on 05/25/10 07:56 AM (PDT)

1999 Volvo S70 Sedan GLT Turbo 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car used in 2000 with about 11,000 miles. It was absolutely perfect until about 170,000 when the Electronic Throttle Module failed. Before buying any used Volvo from this time period I would thoroughly research the ETM and the problems it's caused. It's a very expensive part, and the replacement is just as likely to fail as the original. And since replacing mine, I've had several other problems with it and related parts. I've completely lost confidence in the car. Having said that, it was a great car for 10 years.

Throttle body nightmare
By Volvo disappointment on 08/19/09 04:30 AM (PDT)

1999 Volvo S70 Sedan 4dr Sedan

My wife and I had this car for 7 years, it had 113,000 miles and it has had it problems in the past. Most of which were covered by the 100,000 mile / 10 year warranty for the ETS system. We had off anf on problems with the ETS system the past few years. Today it went into limp mode and the dealer told us it was out of warranty now (over 10 years by 6 months). and it was going to cost $1000 to fix and replace the throttle body and reflash the computer. Volvo has known about this problem for years and I think it harable to allow customers to bear the brunt of this cost. It only has 113,000 miles for god sake. To sell it in running order would be about $3,000. So why would I dump $1000. BAD

THIS IS JUST HONEST
By TOO BAD on 08/03/09 09:54 AM (PDT)

1999 Volvo S70 Sedan GLT Turbo 4dr Sedan

I so wanted a volvo. Less than a year after purchasing my car my check engine light went on - it has basically been on ever since. Try passing AIMS test with that. I have paid several times to have the car hooked up to a "Volvo" computer to get the problem codes. Ater a while, I just taped a picture of my dog over the numerous lights that go off and on for no apparent reason. It is comfortable inside and looks great on the outside. Hate the cup holders (what genius designed that) Anyway, hate the thought of buying another car but may have to - will it be a volvo, for sure - NOT. Give me the basic designs of the 60's and 70's when you used to be able to change your own oil!