Used 1999 Volvo S70 T5 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S70 model:

Bi-polar Car
By sjdrury

1999 Volvo S70 T5 Turbo 4dr Sedan

Overall, being a high-school kid who has parents to pay for silly things like $1000 repairs once every few months, I love it. Sometimes the dashboard warnings light up like a Christmas tree, and other times it tells me everything is running fine. Sometimes I feel like I'm in a sporty sedan, other times, I feel like I'm in an old boat that's about to fall to bits. Be ready for repairs. When it's running as it should, it's a sportier car than you would ever guess by looking at it, and the driver's seat is a nice place to be.

The turbo sounds as it should. It can go 130+ mph, even in its old age, while still feeling stable. It's definitely unique. Somehow, the speakers still have excellent bass... and that's coming from a high-schooler who plays music loud on a daily basis. The leather is nice, the brakes are good, I hear it has tons of airbags, and the police never suspect anything from an old Volvo. Even the little things like the sound of the square doors firmly shutting, or the feel of the key in the lock are so nice.

After driving a 1993 Honda Accord, my Volvo is a huge, huge improvement in every way except reliability. Yeah, I just tried to think of another way, and I couldn't... it's just reliability. The Volvo dealerships where you need to go for a lot of those repairs don't make it any easier either.

If you take care of it, it will take care of you
By fastredponycar

1999 Volvo S70 T5 Turbo 4dr Sedan

first of all, for everyone whining about the thing breaking, it's a 15 year old car at this point. You HAVE to stay on top of the maintenance AND preventative maintenance. Failure to do so will mean small things can add up to big problems. That said, if you take care of the car, you will enjoy it. I had a 98 T5 and still have my 99 T5 and both have been trouble free and dirt cheap to own. At this point in their age, a check engine light is not a big deal. Everything that CAN go wrong with the car is documented on google so the mechanically inclined owner can fix most stuff at home and save a lot of money.

Powerful T5 engine responds well to an aftermarket exhaust and ECU tune. Will yield nearly 300hp. Classic styling! The last era of classic swedish angled volvo design. Distinct and timeless. Incredibly well engineered. Aside from typical wear and tear items (rubber hoses, spark plugs, etc) the parts for these cars are dang near bulletproof. Manual transmission can easily handle over 450 hp.

I don't like that volvo went to an electronic throttle in 99. My 98's drive by wire cable setup was much simpler. Numerous changes happened under the hood in 99 making them more difficult to work on and diagnose problems. If you have the choice, the 98's are FAR more desirable. When I sold my 98, a guy drove half way across the country and paid far more than KBB value. The biggest drawback if you are planning on making more power is the connecting rods are a bit weak. The car will be able to handle around 300 hp to the front wheels before the rods are at risk. If you can find one in good shape that has been properly maintained and don't mind taking good care of it, they're great cars!

BEWARE, repairs are terrible at Volvo
By pletsch@bastrop.com

1999 Volvo S70 T5 Turbo 4dr Sedan

1999 Volvo, bought for a daughter for college. Safe...well, when it actually runs..which is not often. Breakdown with Volvo having NO answers: yyou leave your 19 year old daughter stranded 5 times with no way to run the car. It's not a car at that point, it's a piece of junk and your kid is in a very vulnerable place! Will discuss with ANYONE: This is not a safe car!!!!!! And forward looking cars (newer than this one)appear to be no better: their IT problem solvers really are dismal...

being stranded on the side of the road

get some software people capable of delivering RELIABLE error codes that can fix problems

I <3 my volvo
By l8ydrgn

1999 Volvo S70 T5 Turbo 4dr Sedan

This is my first volvo and I'm never going back! The car is comfortable on long drives, is reliable and has great performance in all weather conditions.

In dash CD changer and computerized traction control

Light bulb of the month club
By JIM

1999 Volvo S70 T5 Turbo 4dr Sedan

Blows lights all the time; constantly replacing. Master cylinder replaced at 61k!!! T5 eats tires (3 sets in 70k, z rated tires are very soft). Also on 3rd battery (1 covered by firestone warranty). Power seats do not always operate. However, sound system is very good. Uses 93 octane gasoline.

Sound system. Large trunk.

Obviously has electrical problems that need to be cured. Cup holders are flimsy. Too expensive a car for the problems i have experienced.