1999 Volvo S70 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S70 model:
Bi-polar Car
By sjdrury on 12/02/12 21:27 PM (PST)

1999 Volvo S70 T5 Turbo 4dr Sedan

Overall, being a high-school kid who has parents to pay for silly things like $1000 repairs once every few months, I love it. Sometimes the dashboard warnings light up like a Christmas tree, and other times it tells me everything is running fine. Sometimes I feel like I'm in a sporty sedan, other times, I feel like I'm in an old boat that's about to fall to bits. Be ready for repairs. When it's running as it should, it's a sportier car than you would ever guess by looking at it, and the driver's seat is a nice place to be.

If you take care of it, it will take care of you
By fastredponycar on 10/12/12 11:44 AM (PDT)

1999 Volvo S70 T5 Turbo 4dr Sedan

first of all, for everyone whining about the thing breaking, it's a 15 year old car at this point. You HAVE to stay on top of the maintenance AND preventative maintenance. Failure to do so will mean small things can add up to big problems. That said, if you take care of the car, you will enjoy it. I had a 98 T5 and still have my 99 T5 and both have been trouble free and dirt cheap to own. At this point in their age, a check engine light is not a big deal. Everything that CAN go wrong with the car is documented on google so the mechanically inclined owner can fix most stuff at home and save a lot of money.

BEWARE, repairs are terrible at Volvo
By pletsch@bastrop.com on 09/06/10 21:22 PM (PDT)

1999 Volvo S70 T5 Turbo 4dr Sedan

1999 Volvo, bought for a daughter for college. Safe...well, when it actually runs..which is not often. Breakdown with Volvo having NO answers: yyou leave your 19 year old daughter stranded 5 times with no way to run the car. It's not a car at that point, it's a piece of junk and your kid is in a very vulnerable place! Will discuss with ANYONE: This is not a safe car!!!!!! And forward looking cars (newer than this one)appear to be no better: their IT problem solvers really are dismal...

I <3 my volvo
By l8ydrgn on 06/29/05 16:25 PM (PDT)

1999 Volvo S70 T5 Turbo 4dr Sedan

This is my first volvo and I'm never going back! The car is comfortable on long drives, is reliable and has great performance in all weather conditions.

Light bulb of the month club
By JIM on 02/19/05 17:57 PM (PST)

1999 Volvo S70 T5 Turbo 4dr Sedan

Blows lights all the time; constantly replacing. Master cylinder replaced at 61k!!! T5 eats tires (3 sets in 70k, z rated tires are very soft). Also on 3rd battery (1 covered by firestone warranty). Power seats do not always operate. However, sound system is very good. Uses 93 octane gasoline.

Love it Love it Love it
By cpk_178 on 10/29/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volvo S70 T5 Turbo 4dr Sedan

Bought my T5 on ebay, Love the visual lines, lack of blind spots, overall performance is incredible. Slight hesitation in the turbo boost is forgotten once the apparent endless flow of HP kicks in! I prefer my 5 spd to auto trans as the control over the HP makes the car a real trip to drive. Volvo also makes the most comfortable seats of any manufacturer I have experienced. The ride is solid and my upgraded Michelins have resulted in a ride that would rival most new cars. I love my T5 (my wife will confirm) and will drive it for many years to come... Only improvements are flimsy cupholders and that my turbo eats gas at an alarming rate (that's the tradeoff)

Great Car
By Danny24 on 10/01/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volvo S70 T5 Turbo 4dr Sedan

This is very safe and dependable car. Drives really well, will not trade it for nothing.

S70 T5
By parksie on 09/17/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volvo S70 T5 Turbo 4dr Sedan

Great family car, extremely comfortably and safe! Fun to drive!

Try one, you may just like it.
By Patches on 05/31/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volvo S70 T5 Turbo 4dr Sedan

This vehicle is a pure pleasure to drive. The seats are very comfortable on long drives & trips. The turbo hesitates before kicking-in, but the power will surprise you for a five cylinder engine. Had only one major headache, difficulty starting that took over four visits and multi-days at the dealer before the problem was diagnosed and repaired. If you can avoid the dealership service, please do. Regular service averages about $300 and major service about $800. This doesn't include the big one at 60000 miles (timing belt).

T-5 Power
By kruedy on 04/24/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volvo S70 T5 Turbo 4dr Sedan

The car is very well built and has exceptional interior space as compared to like size American and Japenese autos. T-5 Turbo power is very impressive after you get used to the slight hesitation when full gas pedal is applied. Suggest getting service from other than a dealership, they are very high. Love to drive the car!