Volvo has lost a customer!
By goodleto on
1998 Volvo S70 4dr Sedan
When took delivery, one door wouldn't open because the door lock was broken. Since then, the car has had numerous headlight replacements; the headlight on/off switch has failed; the ashtray retaining clip broke (neither of us are smokers and don't use the ashtray); the heating coil cracked, spilling coolant inside the car; all of the door gaskets have been removed, reinstalled, and finally glued in; the taillight assembly has been repaired twice and replaced; the cruise control has failed; the retaining clips for the under dash trim panel have broken; the steering column trim clips have broken and separated; and the air conditioner has failed.
Favorite Features
We purchased this car the same day as a BMW Z3. This car is my spouse's primary vehicle and we bought this car over several other choices, for the anticipated reliability. My spouse loves the ride (she has a surgically repaired back injury), the handling, and stereo.
Suggested Improvements
Abandon this model and build cars with a reasonable degree of reliability. Oops, I forgot Volvo already gave up on this platform. I think this presents a pretty complete picture of the reliability of a car that is less than 4 years old and will not be in our garage to reach 4.