I would do it again
By cls8888 on
1998 Volvo S70 GLT Turbo 4dr Sedan
I bought this car while pregnant in 98. My husband & I joked that the baby would drive it someday...and he is! My car has had the usual repairs but nothing unusual. It was garage parked for the first 8 yrs, outside for the last 7--just starting to rust around the sunroof rim. The leather delaminated from the doors within the first year & Volvo didn't cover it--peek in the windows of any 98 S70 and you will see it (thus the 3 rating for interior) Also--if anyone is pulling on the door handle when using the key fob unlock the locks will break. How did that get past Volvo engineers? Other than those 2 things and a cruddy local dealer I have been extremely pleased. No regrets at 190k mi!
Favorite Features
I like that Volvo has a million mile club--fewer cars in landfills. Attention to safety is paramount--I expect this car will save a life some day.
Suggested Improvements
Backseat drink holders or retrofit to be able to add those. The front drink holders extending out from a door that opens up is seriously goofy--one has to move their drinks in order to get into the console--not terribly safe. Better glue for laminating the leather to the doors or a better warranty program to cover that (seriously, I have yet to see an S70 without the delaminated door leather). A lock design that accommodates what real people do--hold the handle out while waiting for the key fob holder to use the auto open. We have a hands-in-the-air-where-I-can-see-them policy before I use the auto unlock--something I shouldn't have to do on a $30k car. Actual gas mileage over 30MPH.