Great car at 170k
By mulchie on
1998 Volvo S70 4dr Sedan
Bought this car used, mint w/ 40k in 2005. Now, at 170k I am having my very first problems but they are minor. Replacement headlamp (deer) went rusty. Replacement radio antenna (car wash got the 1st) busted. All mechanics have been mint. Only time she's left me stranded was when a simple $40 item broke in the accelerator cable. Limped into a gas station and she was back on the road in an hour. Also the clutch got rough (5-speed manual). Replaced & now drives like a dream. Body remains mint despite New England winters. No rust anywhere. Drive is smooth. 30mph highway. 25 combined. Sticky buttons -yes- as others have said. I smeared brown paper napkins on them and that dried it out.
Favorite Features
Comfortable Reliable Safe Just a little delux
Suggested Improvements
Sticky buttons hopefully have been addressed in updated models. Antenna is a bit overcomplicated (mechanical up and down)
By ozfrog
on 10/04/12 18:08 PM (PDT)

I bought my 1998 S70 in 2008. I have used it daily and made many long distance trips, many on our shocking Australian roads. I have encountered no major problems apart from replacing shock absorbers. I put this down to the excellent quality of Volvos and the regular servicing. It has now 390,000 km on the clock and I plan to keep it forever as newer models are more complicated and more expensive to service. I am 72 years old and this is my 7th Volvo. They are the best value for money cars on the road!