Best year for Volvo
By Drew on
1998 Volvo S70 T5 Turbo 4dr Sedan
I was lucky enough to find my 98 S70 T5 with the manual transmission and low mileage on ebay. I gave it a full stage zero (full maintenance) and was rewarded with a very quick, reliable, handsome sweedish hotrod. In 98, a stock T5 would outrun a mustang GT and with a few mods, would run with the cobra. I've got a boost controller, exhaust, coilover suspension and new intercooler and this puppy FLIES. Outran an 05 mustang GT at the track. 13.71 1/4 mile. Aside from the usual 100K repairs like tbelt, water pump, iginition and a motor mount, zero problems and avg 25 mpg. Can't beat that. Oh and only use 91~93 octane if you have a GLT or T5. Manual transmission is nearly indestructible.
Favorite Features
Well built motor and manual transmission. Porsche designed the 20V engine for them and this one is straight from the 850R with the 16T (for the T5 models). With the right mods, you can get around 270~280 hp to the wheels (around 315 crank hp) before you risk engine (rod) damage.
Suggested Improvements
stronger rods would have made this a true tuner's delight. They're the weakpoint of the engine so if you want to make more than 275~300 wheel hp, be prepared to spend around $500 on new rods.