Used 1998 Volvo S70 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S70 model:

Strange Design Oversights
By Bill Sands

1998 Volvo S70 Sedan GLT Turbo 4dr Sedan

Love this car. Looks like a family sedan to the outside world but step hard on the gas pedal and you are in for the ride of you life. Did not know Volvos were so fast. I am surprised to find that with all the quality built in the car is missing some basic items. There is no light in the trunk. Also there is only one speed on the interval wipers, very annoying. And the cup holders are an afterthought and very flimsy. Otherwise I am very pleased with this car and do not know of any other car I would consider buying. This is my first foreign car purchase and I am very pleased with the Volvo S-70 GLT.

Steering is very accurate making the car fun to drive. The reserve power on the GLT seems limitless. Interior very quiet. Build quatlity is very good. Gas gauge shows actual gallons left instead of usual full/half/and quarter tank readings.

Trunk light would be very nice, also one speed on the interval wipers is a joke on a luxury car. A manual release for the gas filler door. More drink holders.

Volvo S70 GLT
By Volvo Tech

1998 Volvo S70 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I am a Volvo Technician so I can not complain about my cost of repair. The car is a joy to drive. It is a very understated car. It will pull away from just about any average car at a light and it does not attract attention from police being a Volvo. It has plenty of storage room, very comfortable seats and ample room for 4 to 5 passengers. Common issues some suspension squeaks and rattles (spring seats, swaybar links and steering stops). Possible ac performance problems due to leaking evaporator cores. Over all the car has 140K + Miles on it and it drives very well. (I actually take the car to the local 1/4 mile track for fun)

Headlight wipers are great if you live up north in the snowy area. Heated seats are nice up north in the cold. Car is extremely solid car very good in case of an accident.

No improvements needed <--- Who is going to listen to me on future improvements on a car that was built in 1998?

Great car!
By Jim

1998 Volvo S70 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I was surprised to see all the negative reviews on my car! I bought it 4 years ago with 80k miles on it and it just turned 160k last week. I drive about 70 hwy miles/day. No major repairs so far. Incredibly reliable car. Left it at the airport during a recent ice storm. When I returned, it had been coated with about 4 - 6 inches of ice for a couple of days. When I finally got into the car it started up immediately! The bulbs were a nuisance at first, but I now just keep a few extra in my trunk (pretty cheap). Only takes a minute to replace. I probably change a bulb every 4 or 5 months. Hope to get another couple years out of it, but even if I don't it has served me well.

very comfy interior for long drives, nice stereo, great climate control, decent gas mileage for its size.

bulbs are a nuisance, ABS light is on, but it hasn't noticeably affected the breaking ability & mechanic says its still very safe without ABS.

T5 Power
By Dave

1998 Volvo S70 Sedan T5 Turbo 4dr Sedan

I bought this car as my first car. It has 174K on the odometer. Performance- wise, once the turbo gets spooled up, you'd better hold on to something. It has the rare 5 speed manual and this car really moves. Buried the speedometer in 5th gear just after shifting from 4th and she still had more to go. The stock sport suspension is harder than the GLT, GT, or Base, and is beautiful around tight corners, but is treacherous for leisure driving. Very bumpy. The cars seats are absolutely amazing. The leather seats in my dads 04 Passat feel like hard plastic chairs compared to mine. Gas mileage could be a little better. Definitely a good car once its broken in.

Performance, Seats, Classic Volvo Boxy Styling, Handling, Braking.

Fuel economy, Headlights.

Love my T-5
By conway

1998 Volvo S70 Sedan T5 Turbo 4dr Sedan

I absolutely love this car. Tons of set you back in your seat power. If you're looking for a car to take your family on a trip and blow the doors off most cars out there, get one of these.

Styling, power, and just an all around fun car to drive.

Rear main seal leaks. Other than that it's a Volvo!!!