1998 Volvo S70 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S70 model:
Lots of time & money for maintenance
By MoMoney on 08/06/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volvo S70 Sedan GLT Turbo 4dr Sedan

The car has frequent problems with various lights(brake, interior, etc) as well as frequent trips to the dealer for mostly minor indicator light problems (ABS/Tracs off etc.) To change the light bulb on the gear shifter cost $70. We also had to get all 4 door panels replaced (no charge) because the leather was separating from the panel. Maintenance at the dealer is expensive & once you have to start replacing stuff (brakes/rear only $450) and shocks/struts in our case @65M for ~$1100. New computer $700. Would not buy another Volvo. Non- dealer can't service many things. Service mgr. said that we should have bought extended warranty!

Great Car
By LinkinGlory on 07/24/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volvo S70 Sedan GT 4dr Sedan

This car saved my life last week. Totalled it and I was told I was very lucky to be alive. I wouldn't be here today if I wasn't driving such a safe car. The car had 92000 miles and had never given us a problem. Amazing car.

Lots of problems along the way
By Mercedes/next on 06/29/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volvo S70 Sedan 4dr Sedan

In general I like the car. However, I have had some problems....frequent bulb changes, three batteries (battery just goes dead, replace it and it is fine for 1.5 to 2 years and then it goes again, leather on all inside door panel is puckered (Volvo refuses to repair even though this is clearly their responsibility), wears tires very quickly, problems early on with the brakes. Handles well. I would probably not purchase another Volvo because of Volvo's arrogance in not agreeeing to repair the problem with the glue on the inside door panels. Dealer very difficult to deal with and not customer friendly.

I want an Accord
By ownerofevilcar on 06/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volvo S70 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought the car and had equity @ purchase, after 2 1/2 years the cars value has tanked now I'm seriously upside-down and stuck. Major electrical problems. Constantly replacing light-bulbs (the stereo is a pain to replace). It kills tires and breaks, there's a break-shake at 60 they can't fix, nor can they fix the alignment. A/C has been fixed 3 times and is broke again. Gas mileage is ok, around 26 hwy. I'm on my second antenna motor. Glue seeping out of all of the doors, panels are "puckered". Leather seats are wearing poorly. Buttons have finger nail marks, coating just comes off in chunks. Nit- picky things are expensive and annoying.

5 year milestone review
By Kerry Kim on 05/24/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volvo S70 Sedan 4dr Sedan

Purchased the car because of a new baby and our desire to drive a "safe" car. Turns out its also fun to drive and quite comfortable. I wish it had fewer electrical problems (headlights and taillights need to be replaced with some frequency) and was a little quieter when cruising on the freeway.

Great car, can be expensive
By MiloF on 05/19/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volvo S70 Sedan 4dr Sedan

Bought used in 2001 with 40K miles and an extended warranty until 70K. Good thing. Before hitting 70K, I had major repairs/replacements with both front rotors, the air conditioning system, and front and rear oxygen sensors...each job would have cost more than $1000 without warranty. Lots of little trim pieces also fall apart (ash tray, fuel door, sunroof lining, rear seat ash tray, etc). Oddly, since warranty has expired, car has been perfect. Go figure. Otherwise, rides great, stops in a dime, starts every time, great seats, great stereo.

Volvo for Safety and Style
By DMWashington on 05/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volvo S70 Sedan GLT Turbo 4dr Sedan

I bought the car 2 weeks before giving birth to my first child. We now have two children ages 2 and 3. We hope to have it until they are driving age.

Great car, very good service - S70 T5
By Will R on 04/29/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volvo S70 Sedan T5 Turbo 4dr Sedan

My '98 S70 T5 has the best characteristics of the old and new. The styling is not too stodgy, and it's solid, comfortable and agile. Kudos to Volvo for replacing all four door panels gratis 2 years out of warranty when the plastic liner bubbled! 56K miles and still looks like new (leather is beginning to wear, though). New front rotors, plastic engine guard, couple of bulbs, cup holder broke. I keep looking at other cars but can't rationalize getting rid of the Volvo, which fits like an old glove, even if its repair record is a bit riskier than some others. I would buy this car over the newer Volvos any day.

Swedish delight, a real driver's car
By actorboy on 11/16/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Volvo S70 Sedan GLT Turbo 4dr Sedan

Have owned Volvos and Saabs for 25 years, this is one of the best. Totally dependable, starts at 25 below (we live in Minnesota) turbo 5 cylinder is fast and fun, 26 mpg all day at 75-80 with regular, best seats in the industry, great sound system, still as tight as the day we bought it. Got 83000 on it, can't get rid of it because I can't find anything as good that doesn't cost me 40 thousand. Have to replace a few bulbs, big deal. The ABS computer went out at 75000, a bit expensive. Station wagon version of this car saved my life in a collision 10 years ago, confident this one would today.

Have your checkbook ready
By Dolce on 10/20/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volvo S70 Sedan GLT Turbo 4dr Sedan

I was excited when buying my Volvo, but 5.3 yrs. later at only 55000 miles, with 20 trips to the dealer: it's on its 3rd battery, front rotors replaced at low mileage, rear engine oil seal leakage, interior door panel coverings "bubbled", numerous headlamp replacements and turn signal bulbs (prior to recall), windshield is pitted (!!), and it eats tires. Except for one battery, it was all after the warranty expired. Your Volvo will last a long time...provided you replace every part at least once. Drive it for 3 years and then go to Toyota, Nissan, or Honda.