1998 Volvo S70 Sedan Consumer Reviews 6

1998 Volvo S70 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

1998 Volvo S70 4dr Sedan

View reviews for a specific S70 model:
My first volvo
By jamesg1970 on 07/17/05 18:44 PM (PDT)

1998 Volvo S70 Sedan T5 Turbo 4dr Sedan

I made my purchase on the 98 S70 t-5 in nov 2001. I am pleased with the overall reliability, but now at 60k miles I am noting some glitches. The Glitches at 60k: a slow oil leak, one electronic window button has stopped working, the leather on the doors is breaking down, the leather has become easier to scratch (even if conditioned every 60 days), the headlamps and front plastic signal covers crack easy, the brake calipers have never performed to my liking, and the Alternator was replaced at 50k.

Would I buy another Volvo?
By bkt on 06/03/05 11:37 AM (PDT)

1998 Volvo S70 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought this car because I wanted a sturdy car and one that would last. I have had good luck with this car and as long as I've performed the maintenance I haven't had any problems. Maintenance can be expensive at the dealership. I have a certified mechanic that only works on Vovlvo. I have no doubt I will drive this car for 3 more years and then pass it on to my 16 year old son. I wold buy another Vovlo in a minute if I wanted to shell out that kind of money.

Junk on wheels
By redoctober on 05/26/05 17:00 PM (PDT)

1998 Volvo S70 Sedan GLT Turbo 4dr Sedan

There are not enough curse words in the world to describe how I feel about this car. Extremely unreliable and expensive to fix. Sensors broke at least 10 times. Lights burn out montly. Engine leaks. Brakes wear out twice a year. Door locks broke 3 times. Windshield fluid pump exploded. Extreme lifter noise. Battery dies twice a year. Cannot pass emissions. Repairs cost a small fortune. Even an oil change is a big deal. Windows stopped working 3 months ago, but I no longer have the money to fix it. Electric mirrors and sunroof don't work either. All this started happening right after the warrantee ran out. STAY AWAY ! ! !

Happy with my S70
By Volvo devotee on 02/05/05 17:05 PM (PST)

1998 Volvo S70 Sedan 4dr Sedan

This is my third Volvo, and by far the best. I had my life saved by my first Volvo and will remain brand loyal. The car still looks brand new when washed and waxed - also the interior still has the new car smell. Problems have been minor, ABS had to be repaired, check engine light comes on sometimes, but overall I am very happy with the car and the peace of mind knowing that I can live through a serious collision.

Many issues...no resolution
By Esc5150 on 01/20/05 20:13 PM (PST)

1998 Volvo S70 Sedan GLT Turbo 4dr Sedan

Have had the car for 3+ years and experiencing same issues as others. ABC control replaced ($1000), MAP sensor, lights and more lights, weird shutter/noise from front end and more engine fault codes than I can count. No service available outside dealership which is over-priced, questionable and I am always treated poorly when requesting service. Door panels are starting to peel and waiting for the known transmission issues at 130K. Very disappointed in build quality considering price and reputation from years past. Had planned to keep for 10 years but decided to return to Acura (had my last one 10+ years and it was perfect!). Avoid this car unless you are married to a mechanic!

Volvo S70 T5
By wf on 12/29/04 11:06 AM (PST)

1998 Volvo S70 Sedan T5 Turbo 4dr Sedan

Overall solid car. Fast runner. For a sedan, the Turbo really screams. Front tire traction becomes a little unsteady under extreme acceleration. Good in the snow. Looking at other reviews, had some similar problems, frequent bulb changes, leather door panels bubbled, some minor engine sensors replaced, lot of front wheel brake dust, wheel rim quality could be better, leather steering wheel gets gummed up easily. Front air dam is too low for most parking lots, gets damaged easily.

Dependable car
By Dianne Wittman on 12/15/04 11:55 AM (PST)

1998 Volvo S70 Sedan 4dr Sedan

As long as the car is maintained properly, it will give excellent performance and give a comfortable ride.The car is heavy and holds the road well. From the standpoint of safety, the car is heavy and the occupants can feel confident of escaping serious injury should the car be hit.

Awesome car!!!
By Dan on 12/03/04 19:41 PM (PST)

1998 Volvo S70 Sedan T5 Turbo 4dr Sedan

I bought this Volvo for $6500 with 131,000 miles. I'm a college student and needed a vehicle that will get from point A to point B. This car is amazing! Nobody believes it has as many miles as it does. The acceleration is unreal as is the fuel economy. ON the highway I can get 31mpg! Reliablity, well I've only put 1000 miles on it and it runs like a rock. Very comfortable and overall great vehicle.

Nice car - Wish I got the Turbo
By The Rocket on 10/20/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volvo S70 Sedan 4dr Sedan

One word..Slow. My daughters Beetle Turbo and wife's Honda Pilot will eat this car for lunch on performance. The headlight problem was fixed on recall years ago. Front door panels replaced at no charge, should have had the backs done too. Other than that this car has been flawless. Ren 35lbs. in the tires and your treadlife will double.

1998 S70 was a huge dissapointment
By hakeroonie on 08/15/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volvo S70 Sedan GLT Turbo 4dr Sedan

A huge diasappointment. Many electrical problems. Light bulbs constantly needing replacement, outsde temperature very inaccurate, power windows that work when they feel like it, a check enghine light that continues to come on after three attempts by the dealer to repair it. Build quality is lacking too, like cheesey cupholders, cerqking front end though I've replaced two tie rods and bearings.