Used 1998 Volvo S70 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Volvo S70 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S70 model:

Surprise... I am faster than you think!!!
By Brian

1998 Volvo S70 Sedan T5 Turbo 4dr Sedan

I enjoyed my Volvo S70 GLT so much that I purchased another one. This time I bought the T5 and it is the same great car with a few more options and faster. No one can believe I purchased another 98 Volvo until they see my new S70 T5. The seats are the most comfortable of any car I have ever owned and the car got 28.4 MPG on a trip home which I drove 70-75 MPH. Front wheel drive for the winter and the heated seats make a great combination with a moonroof and cool A/C in the summer. The car has a distinctive look unlike many other boring new sedans.

Turbo engine, comfortable heated seats, great looks, sound system, safety features, great MPG and the little clip that holds your parking ticket stubs. People also assume this car is very expensive and wish they could afford a car with wipers on the headlights (shh it is not that expensive!!)

Dash light bulbs could burn out, the ABS light came on (not on my T5).

Best year for Volvo
By Drew

1998 Volvo S70 Sedan T5 Turbo 4dr Sedan

I was lucky enough to find my 98 S70 T5 with the manual transmission and low mileage on ebay. I gave it a full stage zero (full maintenance) and was rewarded with a very quick, reliable, handsome sweedish hotrod. In 98, a stock T5 would outrun a mustang GT and with a few mods, would run with the cobra. I've got a boost controller, exhaust, coilover suspension and new intercooler and this puppy FLIES. Outran an 05 mustang GT at the track. 13.71 1/4 mile. Aside from the usual 100K repairs like tbelt, water pump, iginition and a motor mount, zero problems and avg 25 mpg. Can't beat that. Oh and only use 91~93 octane if you have a GLT or T5. Manual transmission is nearly indestructible.

Well built motor and manual transmission. Porsche designed the 20V engine for them and this one is straight from the 850R with the 16T (for the T5 models). With the right mods, you can get around 270~280 hp to the wheels (around 315 crank hp) before you risk engine (rod) damage.

stronger rods would have made this a true tuner's delight. They're the weakpoint of the engine so if you want to make more than 275~300 wheel hp, be prepared to spend around $500 on new rods.

Volvo "Newbee"
By billkcmo

1998 Volvo S70 Sedan GLT Turbo 4dr Sedan

Never realized that this car would be so fast! Never had an opinion one way or the other about this brand but any 10 year old car that still gets mistaken for new is ok in my book. Very good on long trips. Like knowing that the reserve power is there when I need it. Feels solid and handles well. Dumb not to have a light in the trunk. Gas mileage is the worst feature. Like everything about this car. I am going to keep it in good condition as I cannot think of another car that I would want to trade for.

Dual climate control, seats , solid feel. Styling. Endless reserve power.

More than one speed on wipers. Trunk light. More ground clearance in front. Better city mileage.

Good Car
By Jeff1976

1998 Volvo S70 Sedan GLT Turbo 4dr Sedan

This is a good car. Some people don't like it because they take it to a dealer to get it fixed which is a big mistake. Over the years I have learned to fix things on it and overall it's a pretty mechanic friendly car. One of the easiest oil changes I have ever done since the oil filter is forward of the pan. I am at 155,000 mi and going strong. I'm going to keep this car with me for decades more since it is safe and has a fairly timeless design. Staying ahead of maintenance is the best defense to problems. Get it checked out unless you know what to look for and you won't be suprised with killer repairs. (70k change the timing belt). They are fairly inexpensive used. Buy one!

Great power at 190 HP. I have driven this car across country twice and after 900 miles a day I did not have soreness in my back. Pretty amazing!

Annoying dash squeak on the right front. I have heard it is the tape that separates the plastic that has worn.

Safe and tons of fun!!
By Chris

1998 Volvo S70 Sedan T5 Turbo 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 75K on it. I now have 117K and I've done nothing to it. If you're looking for a fun car to drive that you can put your kids in, this is it. It's got loads of pin you in your seat power. The down side is fuel economy (16 city/22-24 hwy). Also a very stiff ride. But I didn't buy it for a "soft" ride. I would and will buy more Volvos.

Power!! Exterior styling, comfort.