1998 Volvo S70 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S70 model:
Car to Avoid
By Jack on 09/20/07 17:56 PM (PDT)

1998 Volvo S70 GT 4dr Sedan

This Volvo is definitely not one of the better products Volvo has made. My car is always in the shop and has multiple electrical and computer problems (there are 7 computers in it, none of them very reliable). The engine is fairly reliable. Domestic and Japanese cars have better records. I paid about $30,000 for this car and have put in about $25,000 in repairs. So basically, my car has become a $55,000 car over 9 years. I probably should have tried another brand, but with past experience of Volvo's reputation of safety and reliability, I thought this would be good. It was a mistake. Avoid this car if you can. Or buy it cheap since it doesn't really hold value anyway.

Classy
By VK on 09/01/07 07:52 AM (PDT)

1998 Volvo S70 GLT Turbo 4dr Sedan

In the 7 years I have owned this car I have spent about $4500 on maintenance and repairs and that includes brakes, new tires, 60 and 90K service. This is approx. $650/year which is phenomenal. The car has about 95K miles now and the car still runs like it is new. I absolutely love this car and will probably keep it for another 7 years. If you maintain this car well it will easily run past 200,000 miles.

No not again!!
By Shelley C. on 07/27/07 00:16 AM (PDT)

1998 Volvo S70 T5 Turbo 4dr Sedan

Everytime I have turned around in the last few years this car has needed something and it is always expensive. The joy of owning the car is constantly diminished by its time either in the shop or with something expensive wrong with it. No wait - everything is expensive from little lights to big lights. Surprisingly low quality leather means that a car that is 8 years old has tacky tearing on its seats. I can't wait to get rid of this thing. There are things I love about it, but usually I just regret the purchase.

Why the misfire?!
By Danny on 05/28/07 16:32 PM (PDT)

1998 Volvo S70 T5 Turbo 4dr Sedan

I bought the T5 turbo because it's a fast, sturdy and relatively inexpensive car (70k miles for $6900). However, as soon as I floored the gas I discovered it had a misfire problem. I tried fixing the problem myself. I replaced all its Bosch "super" sparkplugs with Denso Iridium, the misfire would not go away. I replaced the rotor and distributor cap, misfire still would not go away. The cursed intermittent misfire in cylinder 5 occurs only when I give it the beans, otherwise it rides very well. The leather seems to be pretty sub-par quality as do the brakes. Be ready to give your S70 some maintenance. Oh and my rear taillight goes out a candle in the wind.

Volvo S70 1998 STD
By Etienne on 05/13/07 15:31 PM (PDT)

1998 Volvo S70 4dr Sedan

The car is smooth and its very quiet on the road. I think it drinks a lot, but it's powerful, very very safe and it's very well designed. The build quality is good.

Strange Design Oversights
By Bill Sands on 05/04/07 14:09 PM (PDT)

1998 Volvo S70 GLT Turbo 4dr Sedan

Love this car. Looks like a family sedan to the outside world but step hard on the gas pedal and you are in for the ride of you life. Did not know Volvos were so fast. I am surprised to find that with all the quality built in the car is missing some basic items. There is no light in the trunk. Also there is only one speed on the interval wipers, very annoying. And the cup holders are an afterthought and very flimsy. Otherwise I am very pleased with this car and do not know of any other car I would consider buying. This is my first foreign car purchase and I am very pleased with the Volvo S-70 GLT.

Volvo S70 GLT
By Volvo Tech on 04/28/07 16:49 PM (PDT)

1998 Volvo S70 4dr Sedan

I am a Volvo Technician so I can not complain about my cost of repair. The car is a joy to drive. It is a very understated car. It will pull away from just about any average car at a light and it does not attract attention from police being a Volvo. It has plenty of storage room, very comfortable seats and ample room for 4 to 5 passengers. Common issues some suspension squeaks and rattles (spring seats, swaybar links and steering stops). Possible ac performance problems due to leaking evaporator cores. Over all the car has 140K + Miles on it and it drives very well. (I actually take the car to the local 1/4 mile track for fun)

Great car!
By Jim on 01/26/07 12:15 PM (PST)

1998 Volvo S70 4dr Sedan

I was surprised to see all the negative reviews on my car! I bought it 4 years ago with 80k miles on it and it just turned 160k last week. I drive about 70 hwy miles/day. No major repairs so far. Incredibly reliable car. Left it at the airport during a recent ice storm. When I returned, it had been coated with about 4 - 6 inches of ice for a couple of days. When I finally got into the car it started up immediately! The bulbs were a nuisance at first, but I now just keep a few extra in my trunk (pretty cheap). Only takes a minute to replace. I probably change a bulb every 4 or 5 months. Hope to get another couple years out of it, but even if I don't it has served me well.

T5 Power
By Dave on 12/20/06 19:17 PM (PST)

1998 Volvo S70 T5 Turbo 4dr Sedan

I bought this car as my first car. It has 174K on the odometer. Performance- wise, once the turbo gets spooled up, you'd better hold on to something. It has the rare 5 speed manual and this car really moves. Buried the speedometer in 5th gear just after shifting from 4th and she still had more to go. The stock sport suspension is harder than the GLT, GT, or Base, and is beautiful around tight corners, but is treacherous for leisure driving. Very bumpy. The cars seats are absolutely amazing. The leather seats in my dads 04 Passat feel like hard plastic chairs compared to mine. Gas mileage could be a little better. Definitely a good car once its broken in.

Love my T-5
By conway on 12/09/06 19:40 PM (PST)

1998 Volvo S70 T5 Turbo 4dr Sedan

I absolutely love this car. Tons of set you back in your seat power. If you're looking for a car to take your family on a trip and blow the doors off most cars out there, get one of these.