1998 Volvo S70 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S70 model:
GREAT USED LUXURY CAR FOR LOW LOW PRICE
By d.slvstri on 09/28/09 02:02 AM (PDT)

1998 Volvo S70 GLT Turbo 4dr Sedan

My 98 GLT turbo has been very good to me so far, i purchased it two weeks ago and drove it day 1 from VA to NY and day 5 from NY back to VA with no problems at all, the driver seat wasnt so comfy towards my center back on the long drive but overall ok, it has the typical warning lights on dash (ABS/TRAC) but i learned to live with them and got used to not having the luxury of working ABS/TRAC features since my previous Ford Focus didnt even have those options. Very good acceleration once turbo kicks in, i dont know what the top speed is on this car despite the 140 speedo but i had no problem getting to 127 mph fairly quickly. Gorgeous blk ext with blk leather int. only paid $1400 usd

Best used car value out there
By Tarheel1 on 09/08/09 13:09 PM (PDT)

1998 Volvo S70 GLT Turbo 4dr Sedan

Bought this car to replace a '96 850 GLT. The turbo makes this car much quicker than the otherwise similar 850. Volvo did a nice job updating the appearance inside an out. The 5 cylinder engine is a perfect balance of reliable, smooth and economical. The GLT includes all the expected luxury features: leather, cruise, a/c, stereo, CD, cassette, remote, power win/locks/mirrors/driver seat. Safety, as always, at the top... the 850 probably saved my life and that's why I bought another one. This car is quicker and more sporty. I briefly contemplated a 1999 Saab 9-3 because of it's more sporty nature but I'm not dissapointed with the S70.

Most comfortable car!
By cali mom on 08/08/09 21:18 PM (PDT)

1998 Volvo S70 4dr Sedan

I have over 200K miles on my Volvo S70. Original engine and tranny. Recently had to replace ball joint and struts. No biggie since that is all have had to put in it in the last year. I put synthetic oil in mine. I noticed that I get a random black film on the inside of my sunroof. -Not sure why. Door panel pleather came away from the door and needs to be re- glued. It did this on all 4 doors. My mirror control buttons are melty and sticky! Yuck! My black leather has held up well in the CA sun. I condition it regularly and put up sun shades. Most comfortable seats I have ever sat in. I have driven it to Seattle and back to Sacramento 6 times in less than a year. Great car for weekend get aways

I will keep it forever
By ShortCircuit on 05/10/09 23:04 PM (PDT)

1998 Volvo S70 T5 Turbo 4dr Sedan

This is my 3rd Volvo and its buy far the best to date!! I will always own and drive volvo's. The stereo is fantastic and the fuel economy is brilliant. I dont like how the check engine light comes on all the time and im sick of taking it in for decoding so i now just ignore it. Its unbreakable and the engine loves to rev. 350,000 km and still going strong. Lack of cup holders in Aus delivered S70's. VALUE FOR MONEY!!! I love you my Volvo! xx

Great Car
By Mbeck on 04/16/09 21:17 PM (PDT)

1998 Volvo S70 4dr Sedan

This was my 4th Volvo and the change in body style took some getting used to. This is an extremely reliable, comfortable and safe vehicle. I have no major problems.My biggest complaint would be the tail lights bulbs seem to go out quickly, the cup holders are pretty skimpy for a $30K (new) car. It has never let me down and been most reliable.

Underrated and under appreciated
By 1S701 on 02/17/09 16:24 PM (PST)

1998 Volvo S70 GLT Turbo 4dr Sedan

Simply put this vehicle is up to the task. I purchased it in 2000 and performed zero maintenance until it was paid for. (4 years). Currently, I replaced almost everything except body parts. That being said this vehicle has over 3 hundred thousand miles and is unbelievably quick. I have run up with 09 Mercedes "C" class of course with ease. So if you can perform your own maintenance that's a plus since most people are absent to how to work on Volvos and you will lose your shirt if you don't have repair skills. Happy driving.

Pretty Good
By Knac on 11/20/08 16:22 PM (PST)

1998 Volvo S70 4dr Sedan

I'm a teen driver and this car has been a joy to drive. I have really no problems other than the back lightbulbs not working but it doesn't bother me at all. The S button is really a thrill, my car seems faster than some of the newer cars today.

It's been fun..
By Bo on 08/04/08 16:47 PM (PDT)

1998 Volvo S70 T5 Turbo 4dr Sedan

I brought mine at 85k miles. There have been a few bumps in maintance. On multiple trips to Canada, the T5 drove like a champ, surprising power, good fuel economy. But the gliches, the speed sensors (no abs, no odometer, no speedo)evap system replacement. Brakes that sound like a bus. Not too cheap to own if your are not handy. But it is fun to drive. Okay in driving about town, but a hoot on the highway. Currently at 130k, and holding on.

Hit or Miss
By zachattack on 06/20/08 20:31 PM (PDT)

1998 Volvo S70 T5 Turbo 4dr Sedan

If this car doesn't have service records for God's sake don't buy it! On the way home from the dealer it overheated. Then the abs went out. Then the exhaust manifold cracked. Then a tie rod broke. Then the heater core went bad. Check engine light on every other week, literally. All extremely expensive (esp. For an 18 year old). Some of these s70's are great cars, but some just absolutly are not. If it feels tight, still get it checked out. Learn from my mistake. All this went wrong between 90-100k miles. Although they look awesome and drive like a bat out of hell, they can become hell.

Solid Reliability
By hash50 on 06/09/08 06:01 AM (PDT)

1998 Volvo S70 4dr Sedan

Done 213000 km since I bought it new in 98. Still looks great and runs great. Weak points were A/C condenser and ABS which needed replacement at 5 and 7 years. Original suspension lasted until 160000 km! Apart from general wear and tear this car is exceedingly reliable and not expensive to maintain. Excellent value for money compared the German cars of that time (although they are now including everything for a similar price). Very comfortable for long drives, easy to drive and great turning circle. Will keep it for as long as it runs. Very practical styling typical of old Volvos with no need for contortion to get in and out (like in my Benz C180). Feels heavy but fuel economy is not bad.