Used 1998 Volvo S70 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S70 model:

Update
By pandabear1

1998 Volvo S70 4dr Sedan

Since writing my review in May 2006, I have replaced the ABS module again, the rear shocks, and the O2 sensor. The AC and thermostat both stopped working in 2009. I replaced the power windows around the same time because one day, they just "fell" into the doors. In 2008, the key in the ignition wouldn't turn anymore and had to be replaced. In order to make sure I'd just have 1 car key, all the door locks had to be replaced as well to make it uniform. I can't even describe all the sounds coming from behind the dash of "loose parts" jiggling around. Given that after 14 years, there are only 112k miles, this car has had a ton of issues.

Favorite Features

The seats are comfortable and plush. The trunk is large and deep.

Excellent reliability, performance and comfort.
By chris_svedka

1998 Volvo S70 T5 Turbo 4dr Sedan

I have owned the V70 and S70 line of vehicles for many years. My 1998 S70 T5 is hands down the best vehicle I have ever owned. After owning one, and wanting a second T5, I drove over 400 miles, round trip to pick up another one. These cars are built exceptionally well. I have never had one leave me stranded. Every vehicle requires maintenance and an occasional part. Parts are cheap if you know where to look. Any mechanic should be able to work on these EASILY. They do not cost more to work on than anything else. If you insist on taking them to dealers out of warranty, then expect to pay. Knowledge and a little legwork will make these one of the most economical cars you can own.

Favorite Features

SAFETY! My very first T5 probably saved my life in a front impact collision. Very nice interior. Leather holds up very well after 13 years. Solid ride. I live in the snowbelt and our state uses Salt to treat the roads. All of my cars look like new, inclduing the undercarriage, after 13 years of salt spray and potholes.

Great Car!
By K

1998 Volvo S70 4dr Sedan

This is my first car and I have had it for almost 2 years. It has been great to me, I've driven it for about 25,000 miles and it has been great. Only issue was it overheated due to my ignorance of not knowing what coolant was and what it did and drove it like a goof and put $400 down the drain.

Favorite Features

Great first car. I have leather seats, power seats and a ton of room! Very comfortable. My car does not look cheap! Way better than all the typical first cars such as Civics. I tinted my windows and I feel like money. I have a great sound system and the most comfortable seats not to mention safety!

Suggested Improvements

Better parts. I've had to replace both front blinker lights, they both fell off driving on the freeway and scratched the sides as I drove off. Cup holder is kinda useless, very fragile. Better mileage, I barely get 20. My defroster is a bit slow, but don't need it too much living in SoCal!

rattle
By NOR

1998 Volvo S70 4dr Sedan

This is a great reliable car, most of the time it is comfortable and fun to drive! I am a mechanic and I am right up with anything that might go wrong along with preventive maintenance being done on time;(car has 140000 miles. My only issue is that the car has a rattle in the front(I believe right front fender area), that I can not locate; front end is tight, links, ball joints, struts, strut bushings, along with rear end is also tight. Any help from anybody would be great!

Favorite Features

safe feeling when I drive it

Suggested Improvements

Have a replaceable automatic transmission filter. I never had any problems with the transmission, because I change the oil about 3 times/year, however there is no filter (serviceable)to change!

Nice, dependable car
By barbara

1998 Volvo S70 4dr Sedan

Love the car however time is not good to the interior. Leather seats in excellent shape, however the door panels have mis-shapen making it not conform to the doors. The buttons on the doors are sticky, gooey. Also I have replaced all the sensors. One being the ABS which didn't work when I got it(hadn't worked for years). Would not have replaced it if it hadn't been that the speedometer and odometer quit working as well. The check engine light comes on about every other week. Then mysteriously goes off for the remainder of the time. I will not take it to the dealer, too expensive. My husband is knowledgeable and does all my routine maintenance. He rewelded the driver door,it almost fell off.

Favorite Features

Has great gettup and go. A joy to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Interior finishes need to be more durable.