Used 1998 Volvo S70 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S70 model:

My first volvo
By jamesg1970

1998 Volvo S70 T5 Turbo 4dr Sedan

I made my purchase on the 98 S70 t-5 in nov 2001. I am pleased with the overall reliability, but now at 60k miles I am noting some glitches. The Glitches at 60k: a slow oil leak, one electronic window button has stopped working, the leather on the doors is breaking down, the leather has become easier to scratch (even if conditioned every 60 days), the headlamps and front plastic signal covers crack easy, the brake calipers have never performed to my liking, and the Alternator was replaced at 50k.

Favorite Features

What I like: a fast turbo when I need it, comfortable seats, huge trunk, nice handling, great unique body style (is it a sports car or a sedan?)

Suggested Improvements

Better quality leather, upgraded brakes, upgraded paint, upgraded electronics.

Would I buy another Volvo?
By bkt

1998 Volvo S70 4dr Sedan

I bought this car because I wanted a sturdy car and one that would last. I have had good luck with this car and as long as I've performed the maintenance I haven't had any problems. Maintenance can be expensive at the dealership. I have a certified mechanic that only works on Vovlvo. I have no doubt I will drive this car for 3 more years and then pass it on to my 16 year old son. I wold buy another Vovlo in a minute if I wanted to shell out that kind of money.

Favorite Features

The heavy dutiness of the car. When I ride or drive other cars they are seem lightweight.

Suggested Improvements

The one downfall of the car is the leather. I don't feel it's the best leather and the leather in the doors has popped out

Junk on wheels
By redoctober

1998 Volvo S70 GLT Turbo 4dr Sedan

There are not enough curse words in the world to describe how I feel about this car. Extremely unreliable and expensive to fix. Sensors broke at least 10 times. Lights burn out montly. Engine leaks. Brakes wear out twice a year. Door locks broke 3 times. Windshield fluid pump exploded. Extreme lifter noise. Battery dies twice a year. Cannot pass emissions. Repairs cost a small fortune. Even an oil change is a big deal. Windows stopped working 3 months ago, but I no longer have the money to fix it. Electric mirrors and sunroof don't work either. All this started happening right after the warrantee ran out. STAY AWAY ! ! !

Favorite Features

Safety, design, comfort, headroom. Nice stereo.

Suggested Improvements

This model should be discontinued.

Happy with my S70
By Volvo devotee

1998 Volvo S70 4dr Sedan

This is my third Volvo, and by far the best. I had my life saved by my first Volvo and will remain brand loyal. The car still looks brand new when washed and waxed - also the interior still has the new car smell. Problems have been minor, ABS had to be repaired, check engine light comes on sometimes, but overall I am very happy with the car and the peace of mind knowing that I can live through a serious collision.

Favorite Features

Styling, braking, comfort of seats

Suggested Improvements

Some interior features feel like they could break if forced, but I have been lucky so far.

Many issues...no resolution
By Esc5150

1998 Volvo S70 GLT Turbo 4dr Sedan

Have had the car for 3+ years and experiencing same issues as others. ABC control replaced ($1000), MAP sensor, lights and more lights, weird shutter/noise from front end and more engine fault codes than I can count. No service available outside dealership which is over-priced, questionable and I am always treated poorly when requesting service. Door panels are starting to peel and waiting for the known transmission issues at 130K. Very disappointed in build quality considering price and reputation from years past. Had planned to keep for 10 years but decided to return to Acura (had my last one 10+ years and it was perfect!). Avoid this car unless you are married to a mechanic!

Favorite Features

Heated seats and the turbo (it's still works!)

Suggested Improvements

Build quality, address the "known" issues (read the other reviews, we ALL have the same issues)and please, please, please have someone from Volvo corp tell the dealerships we are customers and should be treated well...not as an inconvenience!