1998 Volvo S70 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S70 model:
Volvo has lost a customer!
By goodleto on 06/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volvo S70 4dr Sedan

When took delivery, one door wouldn't open because the door lock was broken. Since then, the car has had numerous headlight replacements; the headlight on/off switch has failed; the ashtray retaining clip broke (neither of us are smokers and don't use the ashtray); the heating coil cracked, spilling coolant inside the car; all of the door gaskets have been removed, reinstalled, and finally glued in; the taillight assembly has been repaired twice and replaced; the cruise control has failed; the retaining clips for the under dash trim panel have broken; the steering column trim clips have broken and separated; and the air conditioner has failed.

You Get what you pay for ( AMEN!)
By JRuss on 06/03/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volvo S70 GT 4dr Sedan

After a horrendous bout of "Dodgeitis",or the non-latin transcripton, blown head gasket at 65,000 highway miles, I decided to take the unchartered foreign car route. I read of the legendary durability of the Steel Viking road vessels known as VOLVO and, immediatly decided to "Invest" in a vehicle that could stand the rigors of every day wear and tear. The "Investment",after 4 years and 88,000 miles,is still serving dividends in a civilized fashion.The S70 carries the durability that the price sticker suggests, thus showig that one truly does get what one pays for!

ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS
By LAMBERT100 on 05/16/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volvo S70 GLT Turbo 4dr Sedan

The S70 has many electrical problems, some minor and some major. Alternator went at 60,000 and both back door locks at 54,000 and 74,000 respectively. Transmission is showing serious wear and is not easy to change fluid. Many light bulb problems are there every 10,000 miles. We have a Vovo 760 with 190,000 miles and problems have been few , especially considering how much harder the 760 was driven.

Volvo S70 Review
By User1973 on 05/08/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volvo S70 T5 Turbo 4dr Sedan

Excellent car, the car had provided more than I would expect..Highly recommended for fun, sports and family...

Amost there
By Hawaii on 04/20/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volvo S70 T5 Turbo 4dr Sedan

I chose this car over a BMW 5 series for the price to value ratio. The 236 HP from the turbo-intercooled motor works well except for a sometimes hair- raising turbo lag. More than once my butt was pinching the T5's comfortable, power and heated leather seat when I had to merge into traffic from a dead stop. There have been some minor disappointments: poor button visibility behind the steering column, driving lights that do absolutely nothing, poor rear visibilty when backing up into a parking stall. But overall it's minor stuff. I feel my T5 was a deal.

One of the Last
By Crown on 03/17/02 12:07 PM (PST)

1998 Volvo S70 4dr Sedan

My 1998 Volvo S70 SE has 38,000 miles on it and has been back to the dealer every 5,000 miles to have everything checked. I receved three recalls from volvo all were handled very well a loner every time. It takes time to get to understand what this car is all about.Safety it takes time to learn how to drive this car.It does not handle like a BMW.you have to drive it to understand it. It is not hipe it is not over sold. But it will keep you Safe.

A admirable luxury sedan, with a kick!
By lurking on 02/26/02 10:13 AM (PST)

1998 Volvo S70 T5 Turbo 4dr Sedan

Driving this vehicle is quite pleasant. I am satisfied with the interior appointments and the head/leg room are adequate for my 6'2" frame. Even the rear seats provide comfortable accomidations for myself or other passengers. The T-5 high pressure turbo engine is rated at about 235hp which is enough to propel the 3,300lb sedan to speed quickly. Passing is accomplished with ease, however torque steer is evident when piloting the vehicle under moderate to full throttle.