1998 Volvo S70 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S70 model:
Excellent reliability, performance and comfort.
By chris_svedka on 04/20/11 12:45 PM (PDT)

1998 Volvo S70 T5 Turbo 4dr Sedan

I have owned the V70 and S70 line of vehicles for many years. My 1998 S70 T5 is hands down the best vehicle I have ever owned. After owning one, and wanting a second T5, I drove over 400 miles, round trip to pick up another one. These cars are built exceptionally well. I have never had one leave me stranded. Every vehicle requires maintenance and an occasional part. Parts are cheap if you know where to look. Any mechanic should be able to work on these EASILY. They do not cost more to work on than anything else. If you insist on taking them to dealers out of warranty, then expect to pay. Knowledge and a little legwork will make these one of the most economical cars you can own.

I will keep it forever
By ShortCircuit on 05/10/09 23:04 PM (PDT)

1998 Volvo S70 T5 Turbo 4dr Sedan

This is my 3rd Volvo and its buy far the best to date!! I will always own and drive volvo's. The stereo is fantastic and the fuel economy is brilliant. I dont like how the check engine light comes on all the time and im sick of taking it in for decoding so i now just ignore it. Its unbreakable and the engine loves to rev. 350,000 km and still going strong. Lack of cup holders in Aus delivered S70's. VALUE FOR MONEY!!! I love you my Volvo! xx

It's been fun..
By Bo on 08/04/08 16:47 PM (PDT)

1998 Volvo S70 T5 Turbo 4dr Sedan

I brought mine at 85k miles. There have been a few bumps in maintance. On multiple trips to Canada, the T5 drove like a champ, surprising power, good fuel economy. But the gliches, the speed sensors (no abs, no odometer, no speedo)evap system replacement. Brakes that sound like a bus. Not too cheap to own if your are not handy. But it is fun to drive. Okay in driving about town, but a hoot on the highway. Currently at 130k, and holding on.

Hit or Miss
By zachattack on 06/20/08 20:31 PM (PDT)

1998 Volvo S70 T5 Turbo 4dr Sedan

If this car doesn't have service records for God's sake don't buy it! On the way home from the dealer it overheated. Then the abs went out. Then the exhaust manifold cracked. Then a tie rod broke. Then the heater core went bad. Check engine light on every other week, literally. All extremely expensive (esp. For an 18 year old). Some of these s70's are great cars, but some just absolutly are not. If it feels tight, still get it checked out. Learn from my mistake. All this went wrong between 90-100k miles. Although they look awesome and drive like a bat out of hell, they can become hell.

Best Car I've Ever Owned
By MadeInJapan on 05/03/08 22:24 PM (PDT)

1998 Volvo S70 T5 Turbo 4dr Sedan

I bought this car after selling a '94 850 turbo wagon that I had a love/hate relationship with. I got rid of it due to expense of taking it to the dealer, but I missed the power, comfort and the "fun factor." So, after owning a small Japanese car until it was paid off I began looking for a Volvo Sedan. I must say that I did a lot of research before purchasing this car. This car, when you do your own repairs is not a drain at all. I had the ECU upgraded and also beefed up the suspension with IPD swaybars. It's amazing!

I Love My Volvo
By Ta'Meek on 05/01/08 12:48 PM (PDT)

1998 Volvo S70 T5 Turbo 4dr Sedan

This car has been really good!! I bought it used back in 2001, and it has sustained two serious motor vehicle accidents, someone hit me from the rear and driver's side. This car has been very dependable, the maintenance costs can hurt a little, but it's worth it.. I'm planning to buy a Lexus soon. My mechanic keeps asking me to sell my Volvo to him. I'm going to keep it. I've had wonderful experiences with this car. I hope Lexus can compare to my Volvo....

Excellent Used Car, Safe, Fast, Reliable
By Chris on 04/15/08 12:10 PM (PDT)

1998 Volvo S70 T5 Turbo 4dr Sedan

I purchased this vehicle with 86k 11- 06. It is currently 4-08 and 108k. The ABS Module was replaced for $110 at the used car dealer, as was the thermostat shortly after purchasing. Factory rotors lasted 95k. AC Condensor was replaced in 2004. Hit a dear going 60, bent the hood and broke the glass headlight lenses, nothing more, definitely a solid car. Handles extremely well, 0-60 in 6 seconds is a blast. Not a car for your teenager, get the non-turbo or GLT for them. Zero rust!

Surprise... I am faster than you think!!!
By Brian on 02/01/08 19:02 PM (PST)

1998 Volvo S70 T5 Turbo 4dr Sedan

I enjoyed my Volvo S70 GLT so much that I purchased another one. This time I bought the T5 and it is the same great car with a few more options and faster. No one can believe I purchased another 98 Volvo until they see my new S70 T5. The seats are the most comfortable of any car I have ever owned and the car got 28.4 MPG on a trip home which I drove 70-75 MPH. Front wheel drive for the winter and the heated seats make a great combination with a moonroof and cool A/C in the summer. The car has a distinctive look unlike many other boring new sedans.

Best year for Volvo
By Drew on 01/25/08 09:44 AM (PST)

1998 Volvo S70 T5 Turbo 4dr Sedan

I was lucky enough to find my 98 S70 T5 with the manual transmission and low mileage on ebay. I gave it a full stage zero (full maintenance) and was rewarded with a very quick, reliable, handsome sweedish hotrod. In 98, a stock T5 would outrun a mustang GT and with a few mods, would run with the cobra. I've got a boost controller, exhaust, coilover suspension and new intercooler and this puppy FLIES. Outran an 05 mustang GT at the track. 13.71 1/4 mile. Aside from the usual 100K repairs like tbelt, water pump, iginition and a motor mount, zero problems and avg 25 mpg. Can't beat that. Oh and only use 91~93 octane if you have a GLT or T5. Manual transmission is nearly indestructible.

Safe and tons of fun!!
By Chris on 09/21/07 11:03 AM (PDT)

1998 Volvo S70 T5 Turbo 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 75K on it. I now have 117K and I've done nothing to it. If you're looking for a fun car to drive that you can put your kids in, this is it. It's got loads of pin you in your seat power. The down side is fuel economy (16 city/22-24 hwy). Also a very stiff ride. But I didn't buy it for a "soft" ride. I would and will buy more Volvos.