Used 1998 Volvo S70 T5 Consumer Reviews - 29 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Volvo S70 - Consumer Reviews

1998 Volvo S70

View reviews for a specific S70 model:

Excellent reliability, performance and comfort.
By chris_svedka

1998 Volvo S70 T5 Turbo 4dr Sedan

I have owned the V70 and S70 line of vehicles for many years.
My 1998 S70 T5 is hands down the best vehicle I have ever owned.
After owning one, and wanting a second T5, I drove over 400 miles, round trip to pick up
another one.
These cars are built exceptionally well.
I have never had one leave me stranded.
Every vehicle requires maintenance and an occasional part.
Parts are cheap if you know where to look.
Any mechanic should be able to work on these EASILY. They do not cost more to work on than anything else.
If you insist on taking them to dealers out of warranty, then expect to pay.
Knowledge and a little legwork will make these one of the most economical cars you can own.

SAFETY! My very first T5 probably saved my life in a front impact collision. Very nice interior. Leather holds up very well after 13 years. Solid ride. I live in the snowbelt and our state uses Salt to treat the roads. All of my cars look like new, inclduing the undercarriage, after 13 years of salt spray and potholes.

I will keep it forever
By ShortCircuit

1998 Volvo S70 T5 Turbo 4dr Sedan

This is my 3rd Volvo and its buy far the best to date!! I will always own and drive volvo's. The stereo is fantastic and the fuel economy is brilliant. I dont like how the check engine light comes on all the time and im sick of taking it in for decoding so i now just ignore it. Its unbreakable and the engine loves to rev. 350,000 km and still going strong. Lack of cup holders in Aus delivered S70's. VALUE FOR MONEY!!! I love you my Volvo! xx

Stereo Comfy seats Climate control Easy of servicing Reliability Safety.

Door trim leather comes away after time and lets the whole interior down. Everything else look as good as the day it rolled of the prod line. Some engine plastics.

It's been fun..
By Bo

1998 Volvo S70 T5 Turbo 4dr Sedan

I brought mine at 85k miles. There have been a few bumps in maintance. On multiple trips to Canada, the T5 drove like a champ, surprising power, good fuel economy. But the gliches, the speed sensors (no abs, no odometer, no speedo)evap system replacement. Brakes that sound like a bus. Not too cheap to own if your are not handy. But it is fun to drive. Okay in driving about town, but a hoot on the highway. Currently at 130k, and holding on.

Pin-you-to-the-seat-power. The styling (10 years old and I still get complements), if not in the shop, a fun car to drive.

Well, considering the model in no longer in production, better brakes, multi-speeds on windshield wipers.

Hit or Miss
By zachattack

1998 Volvo S70 T5 Turbo 4dr Sedan

If this car doesn't have service records for God's sake don't buy it! On the way home from the dealer it overheated. Then the abs went out. Then the exhaust manifold cracked. Then a tie rod broke. Then the heater core went bad. Check engine light on every other week, literally. All extremely expensive (esp. For an 18 year old). Some of these s70's are great cars, but some just absolutly are not. If it feels tight, still get it checked out. Learn from my mistake. All this went wrong between 90-100k miles. Although they look awesome and drive like a bat out of hell, they can become hell.

F-150 ran a red light at 40 and hit on driver side I walked about with bruised shoulder. Sport mode transmission. High pressure turbo. Killer brakes. Solid feel. Awesome sytle, looks great in black. Great gas mileage for a car this fast. Crash safety.

Everything that has to do with the car running worry free. If yours has more than 100k miles and no trouble, you got a good one.

Best Car I've Ever Owned
By MadeInJapan

1998 Volvo S70 T5 Turbo 4dr Sedan

I bought this car after selling a '94 850 turbo wagon that I had a love/hate relationship with. I got rid of it due to expense of taking it to the dealer, but I missed the power, comfort and the "fun factor." So, after owning a small Japanese car until it was paid off I began looking for a Volvo Sedan. I must say that I did a lot of research before purchasing this car. This car, when you do your own repairs is not a drain at all. I had the ECU upgraded and also beefed up the suspension with IPD swaybars. It's amazing!

Extremely fun to drive and corners great, turbo has unlimited power and comes on quickly. I feel completely safe in this car and the braking is excellent at well as the non-tiring comfort of the seats, even after long, all day trips. The styling is also timeless. Volvo has a winner with this car!

None