1998 Volvo S70 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S70 model:
Horrible, totally unreliable, prone to failure
By jschwaber on 01/25/14 10:55 AM (PST)

1998 Volvo S70 4dr Sedan

Steering failed, developed an oil & radiator leak past 100k. ABS/TRACS failed immediately. The door hinges on driver and passenger both failed. One pangs loudly at every catch, the other swings like a household door with no catch. The hydraulics in the trunk have failed completely. Speakers were wired poorly- all flicker on and off (not blown out). The stereo has you change CD's in the *trunk* (of all places) 0-60 time is longer than 11 seconds on the base model, but still gets terrible MPG (21 average for the automatic, even when babying it) Three star safety rating in the '90s, so it's not even very safe e-brake broken Good interior storage space, nice leather, good seats

Little red beauty
By hampton3133 on 09/07/13 22:41 PM (PDT)

1998 Volvo S70 GLT Turbo 4dr Sedan

Just bought this beautiful red S70 Sedan, pristine exterior, drives with a nice low growly hum, 142K miles, black leather seats. I'm hoping my first Volvo will get last me until my daughter makes it through college. The dealership was amazing. I also purchased a 100Kmile or 5 year powertrain warranty. Amazed the car comes with free roadside assistance. So we will see....

I would do it again
By cls8888 on 08/25/13 23:29 PM (PDT)

1998 Volvo S70 GLT Turbo 4dr Sedan

I bought this car while pregnant in 98. My husband & I joked that the baby would drive it someday...and he is! My car has had the usual repairs but nothing unusual. It was garage parked for the first 8 yrs, outside for the last 7--just starting to rust around the sunroof rim. The leather delaminated from the doors within the first year & Volvo didn't cover it--peek in the windows of any 98 S70 and you will see it (thus the 3 rating for interior) Also--if anyone is pulling on the door handle when using the key fob unlock the locks will break. How did that get past Volvo engineers? Other than those 2 things and a cruddy local dealer I have been extremely pleased. No regrets at 190k mi!

Best Car Ever Built...End of Discussion!
By jayandally on 08/03/13 13:09 PM (PDT)

1998 Volvo S70 4dr Sedan

I bought my Volvo S70 in 2000 with 24,000 miles on it, but sadly had to say goodbye to it this week. While it didn't get me to 300K, it did get me to 286,000. The only work I ever had done was sparks plugs & wires, fuel filter, radiator hoses and alternator. The car was rock solid and reliable. I was so impressed with the car, I bought another S70 - hopefully this one gets me over 200K also.

Great car at 170k
By mulchie on 04/19/12 04:35 AM (PDT)

1998 Volvo S70 4dr Sedan

Bought this car used, mint w/ 40k in 2005. Now, at 170k I am having my very first problems but they are minor. Replacement headlamp (deer) went rusty. Replacement radio antenna (car wash got the 1st) busted. All mechanics have been mint. Only time she's left me stranded was when a simple $40 item broke in the accelerator cable. Limped into a gas station and she was back on the road in an hour. Also the clutch got rough (5-speed manual). Replaced & now drives like a dream. Body remains mint despite New England winters. No rust anywhere. Drive is smooth. 30mph highway. 25 combined. Sticky buttons -yes- as others have said. I smeared brown paper napkins on them and that dried it out.

Update
By pandabear1 on 02/19/12 20:38 PM (PST)

1998 Volvo S70 4dr Sedan

Since writing my review in May 2006, I have replaced the ABS module again, the rear shocks, and the O2 sensor. The AC and thermostat both stopped working in 2009. I replaced the power windows around the same time because one day, they just "fell" into the doors. In 2008, the key in the ignition wouldn't turn anymore and had to be replaced. In order to make sure I'd just have 1 car key, all the door locks had to be replaced as well to make it uniform. I can't even describe all the sounds coming from behind the dash of "loose parts" jiggling around. Given that after 14 years, there are only 112k miles, this car has had a ton of issues.

Excellent reliability, performance and comfort.
By chris_svedka on 04/20/11 12:45 PM (PDT)

1998 Volvo S70 T5 Turbo 4dr Sedan

I have owned the V70 and S70 line of vehicles for many years. My 1998 S70 T5 is hands down the best vehicle I have ever owned. After owning one, and wanting a second T5, I drove over 400 miles, round trip to pick up another one. These cars are built exceptionally well. I have never had one leave me stranded. Every vehicle requires maintenance and an occasional part. Parts are cheap if you know where to look. Any mechanic should be able to work on these EASILY. They do not cost more to work on than anything else. If you insist on taking them to dealers out of warranty, then expect to pay. Knowledge and a little legwork will make these one of the most economical cars you can own.

Great Car!
By K on 02/14/10 12:42 PM (PST)

1998 Volvo S70 4dr Sedan

This is my first car and I have had it for almost 2 years. It has been great to me, I've driven it for about 25,000 miles and it has been great. Only issue was it overheated due to my ignorance of not knowing what coolant was and what it did and drove it like a goof and put $400 down the drain.

rattle
By NOR on 01/12/10 10:41 AM (PST)

1998 Volvo S70 4dr Sedan

This is a great reliable car, most of the time it is comfortable and fun to drive! I am a mechanic and I am right up with anything that might go wrong along with preventive maintenance being done on time;(car has 140000 miles. My only issue is that the car has a rattle in the front(I believe right front fender area), that I can not locate; front end is tight, links, ball joints, struts, strut bushings, along with rear end is also tight. Any help from anybody would be great!

Nice, dependable car
By barbara on 11/02/09 09:39 AM (PST)

1998 Volvo S70 4dr Sedan

Love the car however time is not good to the interior. Leather seats in excellent shape, however the door panels have mis-shapen making it not conform to the doors. The buttons on the doors are sticky, gooey. Also I have replaced all the sensors. One being the ABS which didn't work when I got it(hadn't worked for years). Would not have replaced it if it hadn't been that the speedometer and odometer quit working as well. The check engine light comes on about every other week. Then mysteriously goes off for the remainder of the time. I will not take it to the dealer, too expensive. My husband is knowledgeable and does all my routine maintenance. He rewelded the driver door,it almost fell off.