Used 1998 Volvo S70 Consumer Reviews - 107 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Volvo S70 - Consumer Reviews

1998 Volvo S70

View reviews for a specific S70 model:

Horrible, totally unreliable, prone to failure
By jschwaber

1998 Volvo S70 4dr Sedan

Steering failed, developed an oil & radiator leak past 100k. ABS/TRACS failed immediately.

The door hinges on driver and passenger both failed. One pangs loudly at every catch, the other swings like a household door with no catch. The hydraulics in the trunk have failed completely.

Speakers were wired poorly- all flicker on and off (not blown out). The stereo has you change CD's in the *trunk* (of all places)

0-60 time is longer than 11 seconds on the base model, but still gets terrible MPG (21 average for the automatic, even when babying it)

Three star safety rating in the '90s, so it's not even very safe

e-brake broken

Good interior storage space, nice leather, good seats

I liked the interior. It was generally quiet, the seats are well-made and comfortable. Electric seats and heated seats were quite good. The stock stereo comes with anti-theft password protection, the sunroof is reliable and nice. The 4 disc Brakes work pretty well. The three driving modes is a neat feature. Good visibility. I like the equipment on it, it was pretty reliable. Heated seats, heated electric mirrors, power seats, etc., all worked throughout the life of the car.

Mechanically, this thing has spiraled downwards in every way imaginable. The workmanship is just horrible, but the transmission/engine just won't quite die, the performance just takes a horrible dip quite early in the life span. Despite being front wheel drive, it's pretty horrible in the snow. Admittedly, the ABS and traction control unit is dead, but they were made without heat syncs, so the chip failure is near-inevitable, even if replaced. To any future owners, there is a guy out there who will replace the chip with a unit with heat syncs he welds on after fixing the unit for around $100. To Volvo, I recommend fixing the whole heat sync issue in the first place.

Little red beauty
By hampton3133

1998 Volvo S70 GLT Turbo 4dr Sedan

Just bought this beautiful red S70 Sedan, pristine exterior, drives with a nice low growly hum, 142K miles, black leather seats. I'm hoping my first Volvo will get last me until my daughter makes it through college. The dealership was amazing. I also purchased a 100Kmile or 5 year powertrain warranty. Amazed the car comes with free roadside assistance. So we will see....

Nice road feel, comfortable leather seats, nice drive feel, huge trunk,

It's a bit late for that, as the car is not being made anymore.

I would do it again
By cls8888

1998 Volvo S70 GLT Turbo 4dr Sedan

I bought this car while pregnant in 98.
My husband & I joked that the baby would drive it someday...and he is!
My car has had the usual repairs but nothing unusual.
It was garage parked for the first 8 yrs, outside for the last 7--just starting to rust around the sunroof rim.
The leather delaminated from the doors within the first year & Volvo didn't cover it--peek in the windows of any 98 S70 and you will see it (thus the 3 rating for interior)
Also--if anyone is pulling on the door handle when using the key fob unlock the locks will break.
How did that get past Volvo engineers?
Other than those 2 things and a cruddy local dealer I have been extremely pleased.
No regrets at 190k mi!

Update 2/2016: 205,000 mi and still running smoothly. My mechanic has mentioned more than once that if we ever want to sell he is interested........but he will be fighting my children for it. Among other things, I bought a Volvo to save my life in an accident and because they have a million mile club. I take care of it, keep it in good repair, keep it clean, and it still looks new. Repairs may cost $1k/year but that is still less costly than a new car and my car is not in a landfill. Loving my Volvo.

Best Car Ever Built...End of Discussion!
By jayandally

1998 Volvo S70 4dr Sedan

I bought my Volvo S70 in 2000 with 24,000 miles on it, but sadly had to say goodbye to it this week.
While it didn't get me to 300K, it did get me to 286,000.
The only work I ever had done was sparks plugs & wires, fuel filter, radiator hoses and alternator.
The car was rock solid and reliable.
I was so impressed with the car, I bought another S70 - hopefully this one gets me over 200K also.

Reliability, comfort

None

Great car at 170k
By mulchie

1998 Volvo S70 4dr Sedan

Bought this car used, mint w/ 40k in 2005. Now, at 170k I am having my very first problems but they are minor. Replacement headlamp (deer) went rusty. Replacement radio antenna (car wash got the 1st) busted. All mechanics have been mint. Only time she's left me stranded was when a simple $40 item broke in the accelerator cable. Limped into a gas station and she was back on the road in an hour. Also the clutch got rough (5-speed manual). Replaced & now drives like a dream. Body remains mint despite New England winters. No rust anywhere. Drive is smooth.
30mph highway. 25 combined. Sticky buttons -yes- as others have said. I smeared brown paper napkins on them and that dried it out.

Comfortable Reliable Safe Just a little delux

Sticky buttons hopefully have been addressed in updated models. Antenna is a bit overcomplicated (mechanical up and down)