2015 Volvo S60 Consumer Reviews - 12 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2015 Volvo S60 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S60 model:

I am truly loving it. (I am small)
By Soffia

2015 Volvo S60 T5 Drive-E 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

I am petite (AKA short ; 5'2'') so finding a car I can drive well and comfortably is always a challenge... I like car seats that I can move up, tilt the bottom part, adjust pretty much everything so I can reach the pedals and also see the road... this car is perfect for me in so many ways but the seats are the most important... I also love confortable seats and these are truly amazing. I love gadgets and technology and I feel this comes loaded, love the number pad.... I make many calls for work so I find it very practical, I was very annoyed by the start-stop engine system but you can disable it when you run the car on , which is great. I wanted the MB CLA but they did not give me a good deal so went with the dealer that sold me my VW and after looking at the cc and Eos wasn't convinced , they are great cars but the cc felt for older people and the Eos was again a 2 door car and was tired of having a 2 door car... it does look bit like many new other cars out there pretty much every make has a model similar to the S60 but it is still a good looking sedan with nice clean lines. The adjustable lumbar part of the front seats and heated seats are also a plus... I use it even in the summer in FL. I am not a fan of the dual AC ... it is kind of annoying. at least for me. I like that the cover for sunroof is totally sun proof unlike mercedes and vw which are not 100% sun proof and I can't stand feeling the sun on my head specially since I can't be under the sun. My daughters say the seats in the back are confortable, I like that you can (at the push of a button) tilt the hardest in the back seats to allow better visibility... I think it has great visibility and I find that important... test drive one, you will like it.

Cheap & Tires Are Dangerous
By brithume

2015 Volvo S60 T5 Drive-E 4dr Sedan w/Prod. End 6/14 (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

Like another reviewer, we have have several flat tires in one year. We have two S60s and it's the same problem with both. After 12,000 miles, the tire lights came on and wouldn't go off when we put in more air. I brought it into Volvo Service and was told it was a technology glitch and it was fixed. A week later, they were on again. I brought the car in again and now they're saying that we have to replace all four tires because they're so worn down. This makes absolutely no sense. We are in our 50's, are very safe drivers and drive the speed limits. This car is only a year old and Volvo wants $1000 for the new tires. Pathetic.

My new baby!
By Elizabeth Champion

2015 Volvo S60 T5 Drive-E 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

16 months in, very pleased but wish we got the V60
By MYOB

2015 Volvo S60 T6 R-Design 4dr Sedan AWD w/Prod. End 6/14 (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

S60 R design Platinum. Zero issues over the past year plus. Mileage is 21.5mpg short trips only, 28 mpg on expressway at 70mph, and about 23 mpg after a reset that included some of both. Gas tank is maybe 17 gal so range is only about 450 miles w/o pushing your luck.

Acceleration is as much as a sane person would every need. Effortless and tons of torque is around way down low in the rev band. Smooth engine that growls if you punch it but is otherwise quiet.

Steering is precise but could use more road feel, though almost no cars have that any more. AWD and 350 lb ft of torque are a great pairing, as you can floor it from a stop and turn into traffic with no fear of fishtailing, and it gives great confidence. Minimal body roll, changed to almost none with the addition of an aftermarket tuner rear anti-sway bar. Handling is confidence inspiring. Reviews that talk of small differences between this and BMW are living in a fantasy land where people oversteer their cars around curves on public roads. The G forces you feel in turns are more than enough to have you slow down before the grip of the tires is lost to understeer. This is a sport sedan, not a sports car.

Braking is not as quick as the XC60, with the pedal having more play before it really bites. Once you're used to the difference it's fine.

Ride quality is firm but never harsh, noise levels are good on good roads, higher on bad ones. But again, never uncomfortable. Better ride and noise levels than our E90 BMW 3 series with 18" wheels, I'd say. We have the 19" on this R design.

Trunk is pretty small, rear seat room isn't an issue for us but it isn't big. But we added 2 more dogs for a total of 4 so we wish we'd waited to find a V60 R design for the extra space in back.

Insurance costs are low ($850/yr full coverage $500K liability) but we are middle aged.

The upgraded Platinum level Stereo is surprisingly good for having no dedicated sub-woofer. The Nav system is not very good at all. Just use your phone or a Garmin. It will send you on crazy turns on small roads and the interface is cumbersome. The dash is great looking and the big digital speed readout really makes a HUD superfluous. Climate control works fine, the interface for the entertainment system is not touch but works fine once you learn that the button on the wheel controls most things. (along with one on the panel your passenger can operate)

Comfort is great on long trips, the seats are the best I've had in a sedan. They soften with time, btw.

Visibility is not great in blind spots. I thought the BLIS was a waste of money, but it really comes in handy in heavy expressway traffic where long looks at your blind spot are not always safe. I still check, but do so knowing my BLIS will back me up and alert if I try to signal a turn with someone there. It also has the ability to "See" cars overtaking you and prevent you from getting in front of them if there isn't time for them to react. It works very well and unobtrusively with a light most of the time, alerting only if you attempt to change lanes.

The interior has held up well and I expect it to continue to. Material quality really is superior, it's just that some people expect to see German or Japanese design and this has a Swedish mentality to it. Basic, sparse, but high quality.

Negatives would be that the transmission is a little lazy in regular mode. Sport mode sure solves that, but at the expense of holding lower gears a little longer than you'd like in routine driving. But for spirited driving, it's great. Another issue would be that the bluetooth streaming will cut out for a second every now and then at first, then eventually settle down and work well. The Nav is a disgrace,

The 5 year warranty with full maintenance we got free during a summer promotion helps offset the biggest negative, the poor resale value. We thought about trading ours for a V60 but found it was worth about $10,000 less than we paid for it after a year. This will flatten out, but for some reason all Volvos seem to take a steep initial drop in value, and some, like the S60, keep dropping. We paid about $6500 less than MSRP in 2014, and currently they are showing $7000 discounts at a popular car pricing site. So this is hurting resale.

Overall, besides the BMW 328i, which will cost a little more and be a little less quick, I wouldn't seriously consider another make for this specific class of car. However, I do prefer slightly larger vehicles for the interior "elbow room". The BMW will have a bigger back seat.

And yes, Volvos are built like vaults. Very solid.

THIS CAR NEEDS TO BE RECALLED - TIRES ARE BAD
By LAURENVOLVO

2015 Volvo S60 T6 R-Design 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

I have received 3 flat tires in 6 months. 2 of the flat tires were blow outs on the expressway and I almost caused 2 huge accidents while my 7 year old daughter was in the car. This car needs to be recalled. There is NO SPARE TIRE and when i got all 3 of my flats the lighter socket did not work for me to fix the tire. Continental tires are horrible and not safe. DO NOT BUY THIS CAR WITH THE CONTINENTAL TIRES.