2 years with my S60 T5 AWD
By quattrofan74 on
2014 Volvo S60 T5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6A)
My wife and I decided to downsize with the aim of lowering our overall car payment. My previous car was a 2008 BMW 335i coupe. I loved that car - it's performance, handling and appearance endeared itself to me daily. However, I live in Pennsylvania and winters in it were never really "fun". Also, getting the kids to school became a chore - and a sedan made sense. I decided to lease this time around. Long story short, I got a S60 T5 AWD with Premier and Sport packages. Overall, the car has a decent amount of "go". It's no 335i, but it pulls off the line well. It gets a little asthmatic as the revs climb. The Sport package definitely made a difference in handling too.
Favorite Features
The brown leather looks classy! The infotainment system isn't bad. The TFT display is a gimmick - but it works okay. And I'm having fun with the "flappy paddles" (to quote Mr. Clarkson) I'm impressed by the 10 or so airbags and the safety features in the vehicle. The Titania wheels that come with the Sports package look good on the car.
Suggested Improvements
No HIDs standard on a $40K car is scandalous. To me, being able to see items before hitting them is as much a safety feature as is the City Safety feature. I'm also surprised that features like BLIS weren't part of the standard safety suite. Isn't that Volvo's niche, after all? The engine, while torquey, feels a little flat - nothing that another 50hp couldn't cure. The inline-5 does have a pretty enjoyable growl. I feel that Volvo is following in BMW's footsteps of nickel and diming for every feature. Overall, it's a decent car and I look forward to driving it for two years.
By dann902
on 07/21/14 18:08 PM (PDT)

I am in a similar position. I currently have an '09 BMW 550i. I will be in the market for my next car in about 2 years or less. I was thinking of downsizing to a vehicle in the $35,000-45,000 range and am considering the S60 or XC60. In your opinion, do you prefer your BMW over the Volvo? If you could do it over again, would you buy BMW again? The 550i is my 2nd BMW and I lean toward BMW because of its performance. I'm not sure if I'm sacrificing too much by choosing a S60 or XC60 vs getting a 3-series or X3. Thanks, Danny