2014 Volvo S60 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S60 model:

2 years with my S60 T5 AWD
By quattrofan74

2014 Volvo S60 T5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6A)

My wife and I decided to downsize with the aim of lowering our overall car payment. My previous car was a 2008 BMW 335i coupe. I loved that car - it's performance, handling and appearance endeared itself to me daily. However, I live in Pennsylvania and winters in it were never really "fun". Also, getting the kids to school became a chore - and a sedan made sense. I decided to lease this time around. Long story short, I got a S60 T5 AWD with Premier and Sport packages. Overall, the car has a decent amount of "go". It's no 335i, but it pulls off the line well. It gets a little asthmatic as the revs climb. The Sport package definitely made a difference in handling too.

Favorite Features

The brown leather looks classy! The infotainment system isn't bad. The TFT display is a gimmick - but it works okay. And I'm having fun with the "flappy paddles" (to quote Mr. Clarkson) I'm impressed by the 10 or so airbags and the safety features in the vehicle. The Titania wheels that come with the Sports package look good on the car.

Suggested Improvements

No HIDs standard on a $40K car is scandalous. To me, being able to see items before hitting them is as much a safety feature as is the City Safety feature. I'm also surprised that features like BLIS weren't part of the standard safety suite. Isn't that Volvo's niche, after all? The engine, while torquey, feels a little flat - nothing that another 50hp couldn't cure. The inline-5 does have a pretty enjoyable growl. I feel that Volvo is following in BMW's footsteps of nickel and diming for every feature. Overall, it's a decent car and I look forward to driving it for two years.

Europe experience
By zuli

2014 Volvo S60 T5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6A)

We took factory delivery and put 3600 miles on the car in a six week road trip. Extremely comfortable seats. Averaged twenty six mpg at ninety on the Autobahn. Averaged thirty at lower speeds. Last car was a BMW. This doesn't corner the same but is more comfortable and offers much more interior room. We are very pleased. The factory delivery is a treat and a lot of fun.

Favorite Features

The best word to describe this car is real comfort. I was able to drive hundreds of miles daily and get out with no back pain. Handling is good, ride smooth and quiet.

Suggested Improvements

The media system could be more user friendly. I needed a tutorial on how to use it and will need a refresher when it gets off the ship in California.

Very Good Car/Great Value
By darkhorse2

2014 Volvo S60 T5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6A)

I just picked up my S60 a few days ago after comparing quite a few cars. Audi A4, Buick Regal, Ford Fusion, Honda Accord, Cadillac ATS, BMW 3 series & Mercedes new A class. The Volvo was overall the best choice for me as an everyday car. It does all things well and represented a great car for the money. A bit more money than the fully loaded Ford, Buick and Honda but with better quality and features. The same feel and features of the Audi, Mercedes and Cadillac but without a higher price tag and the horrible excuse for a back seat.

Favorite Features

The handling/ride combination is great. I'm sure that a BMW 3 Series will handle a bit better at the track but this is a daily use vehicle where the ride is more important. The seats are great, audio is very good and isolation is very good. The list of features is extensive and it has its own personality rather than being just an appliance to go from point A to point B.

Suggested Improvements

The only two disappointments are the lack of a rear view camera unless you go for the top package and the wind noise that you get at highway speeds with a crosswind. Other than that, I have no complaints about the vehicle. Love it.

2014 S60 R-Design with Platinum Package, BLIS, Climate package
By mps_

2014 Volvo S60 T6 R-Design 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

So far I like this car and it is fun to drive. It works very well as a daily driver and has some good kick, although it is still far from a sports car. I have one major issue with this car. Volvo has built heating elements into the windshield (small wires every few millimeters). At night all lights reflect off of these wires and makes the lights blurry. It is a huge safety issue and is extremely annoying. Due to this issue alone, I am not sure if I will keep this car very long. Although it is nice to have a heated steering wheel, skip the Climate Package if you buy this car.

Favorite Features

•The seats are the best I have ever had in a car. Not only are they supportive and comfortable, I can even use the headrest which is the first time I have even experienced this in a car that I have owned. •The engine power is great and has good power •The BLIS system is actually pretty good because there are some big blind spots due to the large c-pillars •The new display is great and I love being able to change the colors •The re-designed front of the car is a really nice change. I personally think that back of the car could use a redesign. •The transmission does shift fast for a standard transmission but this car really needs a dual clutch transmission to compete.

Suggested Improvements

•The driving dynamics need some work. When pushing the car, I don’t feel connected to the road as I do with German equivalents (I have owned many BMWs and Audis). Secondly I can feel the weight of the engine and it’s placement over the front axle when cornering, this results in under steer. •This car should have wider tires. They have decent grip however the car is not too light and could use some bigger tires. •The paddle shifters are too small. •Skip the NAV system it is not very good •Volvo needs to upgrade the materials to compete, too much hard plastics, cheap key fob, •There need to be more interior color options for the R-design

New 2014 S60 R-Design and online reviews
By spmatl

2014 Volvo S60 T6 R-Design 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

I just purchased an S60 R-design and hope to pick it up today. Has the same specs as an Audi S4 but costs much less after negotiation. I assume the S4 has better driving dynamics but they just won't come down on price much for the car. I will update my review after spending a few weeks with the S60. Does anyone know where to find a good online video review of this car? Volvo has done a really bad job of getting this car in front of the car mags.

Suggested Improvements

Wider tires