Performance plus fuel efficiency
By jschuld on
2013 Volvo S60 T5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6A)
Having owned a 2005 TSX, 2006 TL, 2011 Maxima, I was looking for something a little different. I really liked the looks and performance of the Maxima, but driving 45,000 miles a year was taking it's toll on the wallet with premium gasoline and 25 mpg. I like decent performance in a car and that is one reason I passed on Volvo each time I took a test ride in the past. When I noticed the new S60, it really caught my attention. Having driven my S69 6000 miles now, I can say it's the favorite car I have owned. The ride is a lot like the TL, there is a great feeling for the road and it handles turns exceptionally well. It also runs fine on 87 octane fuel.
Favorite Features
With all the time I spend in a car, comfort and quiet are the most important and the S60 excels in both. This is my first car with AWD and the way it handled in heavy rain, I know will be a great plus when the snow hits Cleveland. The attention to safety that Volvo has is very evident in this car. Sound quality in the stereo is excellent. The 6 speed transmission makes accelerations nice and smooth. They layout of the cockpit is also very good, everything is kept simple. The xenon headlights make driving at night so much safer, what a difference from regular headlamps!
Suggested Improvements
Don't need a lot of bells and whistles in a car, but the few things I really need in a car are Homelink, heated seats, voice activated Bluetooth and keyless ignition and entry. All of the other cars I looked at had this in their basic options package or were a standard. With Volvo, there are separate packages for each of these and you are forced to go with the Pemium Plus package if you want most of these and it still does not have voice activated Bluetooth! To get this, you have to go with the Platinum navigation package. I also did not like not having one button to navigate all the radio bands, it takes 3 steps to go from XM to AM, instead of just one if the buttons were separate.