Not up to luxury standards
By emlod on
2012 Volvo S60 T5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6A)
I bought the car after looking at and test driving several entry level luxury cars. I liked the S60 and thought it was a good value. I decided on one car but it was sold when I went back so I ended up with a more expensive car but I got a good deal so I bought it. The cars handling is OK but I'd prefer more rode feel but it was acceptable. Acceleration was good. However, I did notice some fit and finish problems in the interior after a few days of driving. I went back to the dealer to point these out and they took pictures and sent them to Volvo. I bought the car in Feb. 2012 and it is June and the problems have not been resolved. I should have bought the Mercedes C Class.
Favorite Features
The turbo engine gives very good trottle response and acceleration. The seats are very comfortable. The trunk while a bit small held 3 suit cases and other stuff for our trip. There are plenty of safety features. Gas milage on the highway is reasonable on regular gas.
Suggested Improvements
The fit and finish on the interior needs improvement with better fit of the leather seats and the car should not leave the factory with defects. The carpet had missing fibers on the passenger side that was noticable and annoying for a new car. There is no spare tire and there should be one. Fog lights should be standard. What good is a rear "fog" light.? I will trade this in for a Mercedes after about 1 year. The fit and finish was meticulous. The car is more expensive but I like my cars to have no defects when they are new. Mercedes has better QC and the one I looked at had perfect fit and finish. It was more money and now I know why. I regret not buying the MB.
By emlod
on 07/05/12 15:30 PM (PDT)

The rep looked at the car. He said a tear in the carpet is normal to relieve stress when putting pressure on it Sound like bull to me. There are missing fibers in the carpet on the left passenger side. He implied that was from furniture being put in the front seat. This is rediculous. If this isn't fixed, I will never buy a Volvo again and blog all the car internet sites. I trade this in on a MB in about a year and get quality. MB would not let their cars to be sold with defects like this and would fix them without excuses. I know this from talking to other owners.

By mbl_carguy
on 07/12/12 12:47 PM (PDT)

Funny - I thought about the C class but was concerned because my neighbor's has had fit / finish issues, not to mention electrical gremlins up the yin-yang. I've had my S60 for over a year and it's been impeccable in this department. Maybe it's a combination of bad luck, and in your case, a dealer who could stand to have better customer service.