Attractive car, but technology needs improvement
By rayg34 on
2012 Volvo S60 T5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6A)
I've been driving my new T5 sedan for about a month now and so far I am mostly satisfied with my choice. Overall, the car is attractive, comfortable and a competent performer. The engine is powerful, albeit a bit noisy when revved. The suspension is not a sporty as the new ads for the S60 would make you believe, but it will satisfy most drivers. The gauges are simple and fairly intuitive, but they are a bit small and are not well lit at night. Gas mileage is admirable - 23 average mpg so far on regular gas.
Favorite Features
Leather seats high quality, diving position, BLIS, gas mileage, looks.
Suggested Improvements
My previous car was an Acura TL, so perhaps I had high expectations, the S60 lacks several tech features that I expect in luxury car: 1. There is no option to switch between radio bands, CD, ipod, etc on steering wheel. This seems odd considering other radio gauges are on the wheel. 2. Lock/unlock feature when the car is put into park/gear is not available. 3. You must insert key fob into slot before starting...most new cars don't have this step. 4. The base radio is poor..hard to get the sound just right. 5. Spare tire not standard...must be stored in the trunk 6. No option to control climate on both sides w/o turning both knobs 7. No automatic headlights...must be turned on in dark.
By mbl_carguy
on 06/27/11 09:49 AM (PDT)

I've had mine for just over a month as well. Overall, I agree with you on most points. However, you can definitely use the "sensus" control on the steering wheel to switch between bands, but it's buried in some menus and a bit slower to do compared to Hondas / Acuras. That being said, I must be getting used to it. As for the lock / unlock feature, it's definitely an option you can set in the menus. The car does have daytime running lights - rotating the headlight knob all the way clockwise makes it smart enough to know whether it's day / night, I believe. If money were no object, there might be some competitors I'd consider more, but this car is a pretty darn good value if you skip most of the high tech safety doodads and factor in the incentives.

By rayg34
on 06/29/11 07:23 AM (PDT)

The S60 is definitely a nice car, don't get me wrong, but some of the things mentioned above just seems like basic oversights that should have been included. I was not aware of the ability to change the bands..definitely need to play with this some more...but it seems to me that this should be a dedicated button for this. The auto headlights is not an option, unfortunately, one needs to turn the dial to turn on headlights...and the unlock/lock feature is not either. Again, minor, but annoying enough for a luxury car of this caliber. Two other things which are annoying depending upon your expectations: my cell phone does not work with the integrated blue-tooth, which make many of the buttons on the dash useless, and as mentioned, there is a second or more lag when changing stations on the radio.