Used 2012 Volvo S60 T6 R-Design T6 R-Design Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Volvo S60 - Consumer Reviews

2012 Volvo S60 T6 R-Design

T6 R-Design 3.0L 6-cyl. Turbo AWD 6-speed Automatic - (2 reviews )

Not your Uncle Olaf's Volvo 240D
By silverfox13

2012 Volvo S60 T6 R-Design T6 R-Design 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

I am truly blown away by this car. I owned a 1980 Volvo 240GT years ago and loved it. I sold Volvos and BMWs in Canada for 4 years and loved both brands. I have had my T6 R-Design for only 5 months and was a little concerned I might miss my Infiniti G37 Sport with manual transmission. The S60 is so much fun to drive, I haven't thought much about the G37. I liked what I saw and read when the S60 was redesigned and got seriously interested in the new R-Design. One test drive and I was sold. Only mistake I made was letting my wife use it for a short road trip. A week later we had traded in her Ford Edge on a stunning white/taupe interior Volvo C70 convertible.

Favorite Features

Stunningly beautiful inside and out. The power, handling and comfort are unbelievable. Fantastic sound system and the navigation system is terrific once you get on to using the scroll knob on the steering wheel. I live in Western NY and even though we had a mild winter, it handled amazing in the snow with the Blizzak snow tires I put on. Summer tires are back on now and it's fun time again. The Volvo has always had the most comfortable seats of any car I have owned or driven. Tremendous value in the hotly contested luxury sport sedan market. The R-Design is pretty rare so having a fairly unique car that you don't see all the time is pretty cool.

Suggested Improvements

Love my music when I'm traveling back to Canada to visit family so a hard drive would be nice, although I am getting by quite nicely using my MP3 player that works through the S60's awesome sound system. A manual transmission with the AWD would be great, as long as it's a smooth, short-shifting one. Performance summer tires instead of performance all-season tires would enhance the handling even more. Obviously winter tires would then be necessary for driving in areas with snow.

Volvo S60 T6 R-Design is a wolf in sheep's clothing
By saholz

2012 Volvo S60 T6 R-Design T6 R-Design 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

The 2012 R-Design is the sport version of the already outstanding S60 T6 all wheel drive sedan. The price jumps over $4,000; but the car includes the $1500 Premium Package, a $1500 Polestar engine tune and turbo boost, a suspension upgrade, plus some exclusive interior and exterior trim enhancements. The car is a blast to drive. Power is strong and very linear from the 325 bhp turbocharged inline 6. The stiffer suspension is still fairly complaint over rough roads, but the tires are loud when hitting pavement breaks.

Favorite Features

Well shaped seats with superb back support and good lumbar support. Good front room. Instrumentation is clear and easily read. The car's computer, called Sensus, is easy to navigate. Rear seat headrests flip down with a touch of a button, improving rear visibility. The car has a pedestrian avoidance system which will stop the car if a low speed collision is imminent. The blind spot warning system works well. The standard Xenon headlights throw a long and wide pattern, lighting up large areas of unlit roads. They are adaptive and will follow the steering wheel. Fuel economy is good for a powerful AWD vehicle; 22 mpg in local mixed driving and up to 28 mpg in highway driving.

Suggested Improvements

The car has no gauges for oil pressure, voltage, or engine temperature. There is also no digital speed readout; just the analog speedometer. The car does not offer true automatic headlights. You can leave them on and they will turn off as soon as the car is shut off, or you can keep them off; but there is no light sensing feature. The lights do not automatically come on when the windshield wipers are in use. On a $40K+ car I would have expected tie down straps or a cargo net in the trunk, but they are not there. Hooks are installed, but you have to provide your own straps or net. This car does not come with any spare tire at all. There is a mobility kit included, but that's it.