Used 2012 Volvo S60 T5 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Volvo S60 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S60 model:

Love it despite its issues
By T Nowlin

2012 Volvo S60 Sedan T5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6A)

I have owned nothing but Volvos. That said, I'm a bit of a car guy and know the comparisons between my 2012 S60 T5 and its competitors. While it may not handle as tightly as a comparable Mercedes or BMW, a T5 beats a base 3-series or C-Class hands-down when it comes to speed and comfort. It's also a sharp-looking car. My primary motivation for purchasing this vehicle was because it was the second safest car ever tested by the IIHS (next to the Tesla Model S) at the time. I bought it certified pre-owned from a Volvo dealer with about 30,000 miles in 2014. It has the premium package (sunroof, leather, power passenger seat) and climate package (heated seats, headlight washers, rain-sensing wipers). The draw to the CPO car was the 100,000-mile/7-year drivetrain warranty. While I adore this car, I am also very, very glad I have the extended warranty. I don't think I've ever had to take a car into the shop so often. At the time I'm writing this, I have taken the car in four times to fix a leak in the passenger floorboard that they cannot identify (I will give the dealer credit for their exhaustive efforts with this). The silver trim on the steering wheel and console began to peel, which they replaced. They also replaced a broken air vent. One leather panel on the backseat has begun to flake while the ones beside of it have not. It's obvious to me that the tiny panel in the middle is made of inferior material to those surrounding it. The dealer would not address this because they "found evidence" that my dog had ridden in the backseat. Most problematic is that the oil pressure warning came on 4,000 miles after my most recent service, meaning that it was four (of five) quarts low. It goes in later this week to have that issue figured out. I maintain this car well, having my services done when (or before) they're due, and only use synthetic oil. It shouldn't be having these problems. But most importantly to me, I'm safe, comfortable, have the power to escape a treacherous situation, and look damn good doing it. But, of course, it is as I'm on my way to the dealership for the millionth time for warranty work.

Poor interior quality
By emlodzienski

2012 Volvo S60 Sedan T5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6A)

I bought this car new in 2012 and really like the car overall. I got leather seats but the seat part has a semi-circle vinyl patch and vinyl on the side bolsters. After about 2 1/2 years the front seats are showing signs of waer and the front passenger seat with the vinyl section developed a tear. I brought the car back and they fixed it for $75. It looked good until someone sat in the seat and now it started to crack in other spots. The car has 16,000 mile on it. Now the dealer wants to replace the cracked vinyl for $850 but will take off the $75 initialled paid. It looks terrible. I have no choice but to fix it.

I realy like the performance from the turbo on regular gas. Handling is very good. It's fun to use the sports shifter. I like it on the floor.

Use quality interior materials. Use all leather seating surfaces like you say in the ad and not add cheap vinyl pieces to the seats. How about a real spare? What if you get a blowout on a Sunday night and the inflation kit doesn't work. My battery went dead and they replaced it with a cheapo non-Volvo battery that is smaler than the original. My front rotors are warping and there is excessive front end vibration when stopping. Use better quality rotors.

2012 Volvo s60 T5
By jiml94

2012 Volvo S60 Sedan T5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6A)

I have been a Volvo owner for 40 years owning Volvos from 1972 to 2012. The 2012 S60 has been a refreshing change from "Your Uncle Olaf's Volvo". My 2012 has 22,000 miles and has been problem free to date. The OEM Continental tires have worn to unacceptable tread depth with (2) near sidewall flats and a cut sidewall near the rim edge. These low profile tires do not have a rim protection bead and my other driver has scraped the wheel rims near concrete curbs . I have recently changed out these tires for Michelin Pilot AS3 tires which has a nice rim protection bead. Car did not have a spare tire and I opted for a emergency spare which reduces trunk capacity a lot.

Good acceleration, little turbo lag, brakes good to excellent, fairly quiet interior. Acceptable fuel mileage (23-25 mph hwy/ suburban) Rear view camera helpful in reverse vision Excellent paint finish Well designed interior, front seats Car rides and handles well at freeway speeds

Put emergency spare back into car. Emergency inflation kit not adequate for road hazard failures. Navigation system difficult to use and loading updates takes way far too long.(4hrs) Memory seat/mirror system for (2) drivers key fobs does not always operate as described. Infotainment system not easy to use or set options. Use different tire Mfg with rim protective sidewalls Steering wheel accessory buttons confusing

Great car!
By jtski33

2012 Volvo S60 Sedan T5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6A)

I just bought this car yesterday and drove it 700 miles to my home. It drives great! A lot of power yet still fuel efficient. I averaged >30 mpg on the highway during my first trip. The handling is tight and responsive. The front seats are incredibly comfortable and supportive. The lumbar support is great. Even after sitting in the car for >10 hours I had no back pain or fatigue. I got a great deal on a 2 year old lease turn in. I was between buying a BMW 3 series and Volvo S60. The BMW wons hands down for performance. I bought the Volvo because I loved the styling, it drove very well and was packed full of features for 10K less than the comparable BMW. Great value.

The electronic interface is very user friendly and intuitive. You can control everything from the steering wheel too! Love the bluetooth streaming audio, iPod interface, and easy controls.

None that I can think of yet! I'll let you know after I drive it more.

Love the car, hate the navigation system
By beignetva

2012 Volvo S60 Sedan T5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6A)

I have had this car for over a year. I love the way it handles, it's well built, it drives like a charm. Unfortunately, the navigation system is useless. More often than not, it gets me lost and wants me to get off the highway then get back on for no reason. I've started using my Iphone GPS as a backup as I can't trust this. Also, the way the update to the navigation system is done is antiquated. After asking for over 6 months, I finally received the CD update that took over 6 hours to load while the car was running. This is 2014. There has to be a better way. Unfortunately, as long as Volvo does not improve their navigation system like Audi has, I will not buy another Volvo.

Please improve the navigation system and the way it is updated.