2012 Volvo S60 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S60 model:
Poor interior quality
By emlodzienski on 08/17/14 12:43 PM (PDT)

2012 Volvo S60 Sedan T5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6A)

I bought this car new in 2012 and really like the car overall. I got leather seats but the seat part has a semi-circle vinyl patch and vinyl on the side bolsters. After about 2 1/2 years the front seats are showing signs of waer and the front passenger seat with the vinyl section developed a tear. I brought the car back and they fixed it for $75. It looked good until someone sat in the seat and now it started to crack in other spots. The car has 16,000 mile on it. Now the dealer wants to replace the cracked vinyl for $850 but will take off the $75 initialled paid. It looks terrible. I have no choice but to fix it.

2012 Volvo s60 T5
By jiml94 on 06/19/14 11:20 AM (PDT)

2012 Volvo S60 Sedan T5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6A)

I have been a Volvo owner for 40 years owning Volvos from 1972 to 2012. The 2012 S60 has been a refreshing change from "Your Uncle Olaf's Volvo". My 2012 has 22,000 miles and has been problem free to date. The OEM Continental tires have worn to unacceptable tread depth with (2) near sidewall flats and a cut sidewall near the rim edge. These low profile tires do not have a rim protection bead and my other driver has scraped the wheel rims near concrete curbs . I have recently changed out these tires for Michelin Pilot AS3 tires which has a nice rim protection bead. Car did not have a spare tire and I opted for a emergency spare which reduces trunk capacity a lot.

Great car!
By jtski33 on 03/09/14 20:59 PM (PDT)

2012 Volvo S60 Sedan T5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6A)

I just bought this car yesterday and drove it 700 miles to my home. It drives great! A lot of power yet still fuel efficient. I averaged >30 mpg on the highway during my first trip. The handling is tight and responsive. The front seats are incredibly comfortable and supportive. The lumbar support is great. Even after sitting in the car for >10 hours I had no back pain or fatigue. I got a great deal on a 2 year old lease turn in. I was between buying a BMW 3 series and Volvo S60. The BMW wons hands down for performance. I bought the Volvo because I loved the styling, it drove very well and was packed full of features for 10K less than the comparable BMW. Great value.

Love the car, hate the navigation system
By beignetva on 03/05/14 08:19 AM (PST)

2012 Volvo S60 Sedan T5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6A)

I have had this car for over a year. I love the way it handles, it's well built, it drives like a charm. Unfortunately, the navigation system is useless. More often than not, it gets me lost and wants me to get off the highway then get back on for no reason. I've started using my Iphone GPS as a backup as I can't trust this. Also, the way the update to the navigation system is done is antiquated. After asking for over 6 months, I finally received the CD update that took over 6 hours to load while the car was running. This is 2014. There has to be a better way. Unfortunately, as long as Volvo does not improve their navigation system like Audi has, I will not buy another Volvo.

Absolutely amazing!
By nelaco on 02/05/14 15:30 PM (PST)

2012 Volvo S60 Sedan T5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6A)

We love this car! We also have an XC90 from '05. Both cars have been extremely reliable. Just follow the regular maintenance intervals and you'll be fine. Fairly inexpensive to maintain if you do your own work. This car drives like a dream. The handling is amazing. Performance is great, and even better if you switch to Sport mode but no need really. Beautiful cabin.

No more SAAB stories.
By thinkwendy on 07/09/13 07:06 AM (PDT)

2012 Volvo S60 Sedan T5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6A)

I was involved in an accident with my 2006 SAAB 9.3 2.0 turbo in April returning from Spring Break. I was very lucky... I was going 70 MPH and a box truck had pulled over for the night, but did not pull all the way off the driving lanes. I was the third car to hit debris in the right driving lane and unfortunately my car was totaled. I had very minor injuries and witnessed some major injuries of the two vehicles that crashed before me. I went searching for a new vehicle and my mind was made up that I was going to get an SUV or crossover, but my heart did no race like it did when I was in my SAAB. I was spoiled and wanted luxury. I tea drove everything and fell in love with the VolvoS60

A little Disappointed
By paria on 06/02/13 18:36 PM (PDT)

2012 Volvo S60 Sedan T5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6A)

I am a little disappointed in my 2012 Volvo S60 that I bought brand new last year. I've only had it for one year, but it was taken to the shop 4 different times. The Volvo symbol on the front came off, the silver part on the steering wheel cut me when it peeled off, the mp3 player connection within the arm rest had to be replaced, and I replaced the windshield wipers(after owning the car 2 weeks) due to invisibility from rain. I thought something was wrong with the windshield, but after Volvo dealership mechanics assured me it wasn't the window, I realized it was the windshield wipers. I wasn't expecting to return to the shop (using my gas) For a luxury vehicle at this price.

Got it over the Audi A4
By mklay on 04/27/13 16:34 PM (PDT)

2012 Volvo S60 Sedan T5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6A)

Over the past 15 years, I've owned Audi's. Yea, I know, the BMW 3 series is best, but for me I liked Audi. Prior to getting my "wonderful" 2013 S60 T5, Audi gave me a new 2013 A4 2.0 T (w) premium package to use for three days, while my A3 was being fixed. Needing a new car & my recent experience with the A4, it gave me a good reference point/comparison to the S60. Anyway, for "me/myself & I", the Volvo S60 T5 was "much better" than the A4 for city and highway driving. Also, it handled very good (not as good as the Germans, but good enough) and provided better steering feel, a more solid feel/smoother ride, quieter cabin, better seats, and "just enough" power to have some fun.

Great Car!
By kj83 on 03/02/13 20:01 PM (PST)

2012 Volvo S60 Sedan T5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6A)

OK, so the other reviews describe the car well. For those wondering how they hold up over time: my S60 T5 is nearly 2 years old (purchased May 2011), has about 24K miles on it, and has had no problems (OK, well, I did get the wiper blades replaced for free at my last routine service, and a firmware update before that). I bought this over a BMW 3 series, Audi A4, Infinity, etc, and that was a bit of a shocker as I only stopped into the Volvo dealer because it was on my way to another car dealer. Good thing, as I was won over after many test drives, and I do love the car.

Best of Everything for a Solid Price
By roubaud on 01/13/13 14:43 PM (PST)

2012 Volvo S60 Sedan T5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6A)

I never thought I'd own a Volvo. Ever. My Acura and Mercedes were sweet rides. But here I have a sporty four door that is billed as the safest sedan out there, plenty of pep and road feel, and after 8,000 miles I'm won over. Small squeaky belt issue, and mileage could be better (25 combined, 29 on highway) but the seats are SO comfy, and I like the sparse / not busy interior with smoother leather than you'll find on similarly priced cars. I wish I had a 2013 AWD, but for this price it's a lot of bang for your buck. I don't know why anyone would get an overpriced and dull Merc C instead of this (in regard to a previous S60 reviewer).

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Volvo S60 Sedan in VA is:

$125 per month*