Used 2012 Volvo S60 Sedan Consumer Reviews - 41 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S60 model:

Volvo S60 2012
By T Trempus

2012 Volvo S60 Sedan T5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6A)

Much more fun for the driver than for passengers. I have the 18''wheel package with stiff suspension. Great fun to drive; quick and responsive. Highway mileage is in the low to mid 30's and city driving is generally in the high teens to low twenties. The city safe feature saved me from one stupid (it would have clearly been my fault for not paying attention) probable rear end collision.

Volvo Stands Behind their Vehicles
By Nick Davis

2012 Volvo S60 Sedan T5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6A)

We love our S60. It is fun to drive, comfortable and safe. Excluding the below repair, we have not had any issues with our S60.

After owning our S60 for 3.5 years and putting 62,000 miles on the vehicle, we noticed that the vehicle was burning oil between oil changes (1.5-2.0 quarts). The cars warranty expired at 50,000 miles. I contacted Volvo North America and explained the issue to them. They had the local dealership contact me and setup an appointment to look at the car. After looking at the vehicle the dealer said that the piston rings were bad, and replaced them under warranty. The cost of this repair is $3,500-$4,000. How many other car companies would cover this after the warranty expired?

Good Buy
By Donald Brown

2012 Volvo S60 Sedan T5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6A)

Love it despite its issues
By T Nowlin

2012 Volvo S60 Sedan T5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6A)

I have owned nothing but Volvos. That said, I'm a bit of a car guy and know the comparisons between my 2012 S60 T5 and its competitors. While it may not handle as tightly as a comparable Mercedes or BMW, a T5 beats a base 3-series or C-Class hands-down when it comes to speed and comfort. It's also a sharp-looking car. My primary motivation for purchasing this vehicle was because it was the second safest car ever tested by the IIHS (next to the Tesla Model S) at the time. I bought it certified pre-owned from a Volvo dealer with about 30,000 miles in 2014. It has the premium package (sunroof, leather, power passenger seat) and climate package (heated seats, headlight washers, rain-sensing wipers). The draw to the CPO car was the 100,000-mile/7-year drivetrain warranty. While I adore this car, I am also very, very glad I have the extended warranty. I don't think I've ever had to take a car into the shop so often. At the time I'm writing this, I have taken the car in four times to fix a leak in the passenger floorboard that they cannot identify (I will give the dealer credit for their exhaustive efforts with this). The silver trim on the steering wheel and console began to peel, which they replaced. They also replaced a broken air vent. One leather panel on the backseat has begun to flake while the ones beside of it have not. It's obvious to me that the tiny panel in the middle is made of inferior material to those surrounding it. The dealer would not address this because they "found evidence" that my dog had ridden in the backseat. Most problematic is that the oil pressure warning came on 4,000 miles after my most recent service, meaning that it was four (of five) quarts low. It goes in later this week to have that issue figured out. I maintain this car well, having my services done when (or before) they're due, and only use synthetic oil. It shouldn't be having these problems. But most importantly to me, I'm safe, comfortable, have the power to escape a treacherous situation, and look damn good doing it. But, of course, it is as I'm on my way to the dealership for the millionth time for warranty work.

Sounding Off!
By Robert Pagano

2012 Volvo S60 Sedan T6 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

Bought this S60 AWD new. Absolutely love the handling and ride..good gas mileage and safety features.
Cannot stand the center console sound system. Have had it replaced once and it still doesn't work.
AM reception - lousy at best.
The entire system, including the phone, just shuts down at random.
Push FM button and get AM or nothing.
Push phone button and get radio.
Have complained and been told as recently as two weeks ago that they had to replace the system for the newer models because the '12's thru '14's were so bad.
Leather seats also wore out after 20K miles

Acceleration is excellent Braking is excellent Handling is superior to most other cars I have had Runs on regular gas Mileage averages 24-26 High speed driving is excellent Safety is typical Volvo - very solid With Blizzak snow tires, this car will go anywhere.

Replace sound/phone system. It's awful. Bring back the S60 T6 AWD. New models no longer available as S60 T6 only T5. T6 is six-cylinder and the acceleration makes it much easier to handle in situations where you need power (passing, avoiding other vehicles, etc.) Install better leather on the seats Would love to buy another but have major reservations about 4-cylinder power plants.