Used 2012 Volvo S60 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S60 model:

No more SAAB stories.
By thinkwendy

2012 Volvo S60 T5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6A)

I was involved in an accident with my 2006 SAAB 9.3 2.0 turbo in April returning from Spring Break. I was very lucky... I was going 70 MPH and a box truck had pulled over for the night, but did not pull all the way off the driving lanes. I was the third car to hit debris in the right driving lane and unfortunately my car was totaled. I had very minor injuries and witnessed some major injuries of the two vehicles that crashed before me. I went searching for a new vehicle and my mind was made up that I was going to get an SUV or crossover, but my heart did no race like it did when I was in my SAAB. I was spoiled and wanted luxury. I tea drove everything and fell in love with the VolvoS60

Favorite Features

My favorite features are the seats! You feel like you have hit the lottery! So sleek yet comfort supreme. I love the hands free blue tooth phone and the ease and comfort of the controls. I love the get up and go that the car has and the gas mileage is a huge plus. I have been getting anywhere from 26-27mpg. The handling is so smooth that I tend to have to watch my speed while driving. The car is beautiful on the inside and out. I feel luxurious driving it and get a lot of compliments from friends on how "cool" this car is. It also has the Swedish influence that I just loved from my SAAB, but I feel like I have leveled up on the luxury part. I never thought I could fall in love again!

Suggested Improvements

The steering wheel has Crome that looks like it is starting to come away from the wheel. When I go into the dealership I am going to see if they can fix this. I also wish it had larger trunk space... But if I wanted that, I should have purchased an SUV. I do not like the oversized windshield wipers, but I have no other complaints.

2012 Volvo S60 T-5
By danf7

2012 Volvo S60 T5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6A)

The sign and drive offer coupled with covered maintenance made this car an exceptional lease value. I was also looking at A4, Acura TSX and the Hyundai Genesis Coupe but the horsepower, torque and features of the S60 far outweighed the competition. The car is fast especially in Sport mode. The Blind Spot Information System and City Safety are nice features and lowered my insurance! Ride is fairly quiet and comfortable. Steering with the Touring Chassis could be tighter. (The Dynamic Chassis may have addressed this issued but I didn't want to spend extra money.) Volvo Sensus is excellent and integrates well with my ipod and phone. A great entry level luxury sports car for the money.

Favorite Features

Volvo Sensus, BLIS with folding mirrors, horsepower and torque, sports seats with leather, covered maintenance, lower insurance due to safety features.

Suggested Improvements

Keyless entry and start should be standard not option, tighter steering and cornering with Touring Chassis, front fog lights, auto unlock doors when shifted into park, spare tire standard, more storage center console storage for smaller items.

Not up to luxury standards
By emlod

2012 Volvo S60 T5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6A)

I bought the car after looking at and test driving several entry level luxury cars. I liked the S60 and thought it was a good value. I decided on one car but it was sold when I went back so I ended up with a more expensive car but I got a good deal so I bought it. The cars handling is OK but I'd prefer more rode feel but it was acceptable. Acceleration was good. However, I did notice some fit and finish problems in the interior after a few days of driving. I went back to the dealer to point these out and they took pictures and sent them to Volvo. I bought the car in Feb. 2012 and it is June and the problems have not been resolved. I should have bought the Mercedes C Class.

Favorite Features

The turbo engine gives very good trottle response and acceleration. The seats are very comfortable. The trunk while a bit small held 3 suit cases and other stuff for our trip. There are plenty of safety features. Gas milage on the highway is reasonable on regular gas.

Suggested Improvements

The fit and finish on the interior needs improvement with better fit of the leather seats and the car should not leave the factory with defects. The carpet had missing fibers on the passenger side that was noticable and annoying for a new car. There is no spare tire and there should be one. Fog lights should be standard. What good is a rear "fog" light.? I will trade this in for a Mercedes after about 1 year. The fit and finish was meticulous. The car is more expensive but I like my cars to have no defects when they are new. Mercedes has better QC and the one I looked at had perfect fit and finish. It was more money and now I know why. I regret not buying the MB.

Attractive car, but technology needs improvement
By rayg34

2012 Volvo S60 T5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6A)

I've been driving my new T5 sedan for about a month now and so far I am mostly satisfied with my choice. Overall, the car is attractive, comfortable and a competent performer. The engine is powerful, albeit a bit noisy when revved. The suspension is not a sporty as the new ads for the S60 would make you believe, but it will satisfy most drivers. The gauges are simple and fairly intuitive, but they are a bit small and are not well lit at night. Gas mileage is admirable - 23 average mpg so far on regular gas.

Favorite Features

Leather seats high quality, diving position, BLIS, gas mileage, looks.

Suggested Improvements

My previous car was an Acura TL, so perhaps I had high expectations, the S60 lacks several tech features that I expect in luxury car: 1. There is no option to switch between radio bands, CD, ipod, etc on steering wheel. This seems odd considering other radio gauges are on the wheel. 2. Lock/unlock feature when the car is put into park/gear is not available. 3. You must insert key fob into slot before starting...most new cars don't have this step. 4. The base radio is poor..hard to get the sound just right. 5. Spare tire not standard...must be stored in the trunk 6. No option to control climate on both sides w/o turning both knobs 7. No automatic headlights...must be turned on in dark.

A little Disappointed
By paria

2012 Volvo S60 T5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6A)

I am a little disappointed in my 2012 Volvo S60 that I bought brand new last year. I've only had it for one year, but it was taken to the shop 4 different times. The Volvo symbol on the front came off, the silver part on the steering wheel cut me when it peeled off, the mp3 player connection within the arm rest had to be replaced, and I replaced the windshield wipers(after owning the car 2 weeks) due to invisibility from rain. I thought something was wrong with the windshield, but after Volvo dealership mechanics assured me it wasn't the window, I realized it was the windshield wipers. I wasn't expecting to return to the shop (using my gas) For a luxury vehicle at this price.

Favorite Features

The car is fun to drive, low outside noise, and rides smooth.

Suggested Improvements

I suggest putting in a color navigation system instead of the gray and white version. I had a better quality system in my Nissan.