Used 2012 Volvo S60 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Volvo S60

View reviews for a specific S60 model:

Sounding Off!
By Robert Pagano

2012 Volvo S60 T6 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

Bought this S60 AWD new. Absolutely love the handling and ride..good gas mileage and safety features. Cannot stand the center console sound system. Have had it replaced once and it still doesn't work. AM reception - lousy at best. The entire system, including the phone, just shuts down at random. Push FM button and get AM or nothing. Push phone button and get radio. Have complained and been told as recently as two weeks ago that they had to replace the system for the newer models because the '12's thru '14's were so bad. Leather seats also wore out after 20K miles

Favorite Features

Acceleration is excellent Braking is excellent Handling is superior to most other cars I have had Runs on regular gas Mileage averages 24-26 High speed driving is excellent Safety is typical Volvo - very solid With Blizzak snow tires, this car will go anywhere.

Suggested Improvements

Replace sound/phone system. It's awful. Bring back the S60 T6 AWD. New models no longer available as S60 T6 only T5. T6 is six-cylinder and the acceleration makes it much easier to handle in situations where you need power (passing, avoiding other vehicles, etc.) Install better leather on the seats Would love to buy another but have major reservations about 4-cylinder power plants.

Poor interior quality
By emlodzienski

2012 Volvo S60 T5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6A)

I bought this car new in 2012 and really like the car overall. I got leather seats but the seat part has a semi-circle vinyl patch and vinyl on the side bolsters. After about 2 1/2 years the front seats are showing signs of waer and the front passenger seat with the vinyl section developed a tear. I brought the car back and they fixed it for $75. It looked good until someone sat in the seat and now it started to crack in other spots. The car has 16,000 mile on it. Now the dealer wants to replace the cracked vinyl for $850 but will take off the $75 initialled paid. It looks terrible. I have no choice but to fix it.

Favorite Features

I realy like the performance from the turbo on regular gas. Handling is very good. It's fun to use the sports shifter. I like it on the floor.

Suggested Improvements

Use quality interior materials. Use all leather seating surfaces like you say in the ad and not add cheap vinyl pieces to the seats. How about a real spare? What if you get a blowout on a Sunday night and the inflation kit doesn't work. My battery went dead and they replaced it with a cheapo non-Volvo battery that is smaler than the original. My front rotors are warping and there is excessive front end vibration when stopping. Use better quality rotors.

2012 Volvo s60 T5
By jiml94

2012 Volvo S60 T5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6A)

I have been a Volvo owner for 40 years owning Volvos from 1972 to 2012. The 2012 S60 has been a refreshing change from "Your Uncle Olaf's Volvo". My 2012 has 22,000 miles and has been problem free to date. The OEM Continental tires have worn to unacceptable tread depth with (2) near sidewall flats and a cut sidewall near the rim edge. These low profile tires do not have a rim protection bead and my other driver has scraped the wheel rims near concrete curbs . I have recently changed out these tires for Michelin Pilot AS3 tires which has a nice rim protection bead. Car did not have a spare tire and I opted for a emergency spare which reduces trunk capacity a lot.

Favorite Features

Good acceleration, little turbo lag, brakes good to excellent, fairly quiet interior. Acceptable fuel mileage (23-25 mph hwy/ suburban) Rear view camera helpful in reverse vision Excellent paint finish Well designed interior, front seats Car rides and handles well at freeway speeds

Suggested Improvements

Put emergency spare back into car. Emergency inflation kit not adequate for road hazard failures. Navigation system difficult to use and loading updates takes way far too long.(4hrs) Memory seat/mirror system for (2) drivers key fobs does not always operate as described. Infotainment system not easy to use or set options. Use different tire Mfg with rim protective sidewalls Steering wheel accessory buttons confusing

Great car!
By jtski33

2012 Volvo S60 T5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6A)

I just bought this car yesterday and drove it 700 miles to my home. It drives great! A lot of power yet still fuel efficient. I averaged >30 mpg on the highway during my first trip. The handling is tight and responsive. The front seats are incredibly comfortable and supportive. The lumbar support is great. Even after sitting in the car for >10 hours I had no back pain or fatigue. I got a great deal on a 2 year old lease turn in. I was between buying a BMW 3 series and Volvo S60. The BMW wons hands down for performance. I bought the Volvo because I loved the styling, it drove very well and was packed full of features for 10K less than the comparable BMW. Great value.

Favorite Features

The electronic interface is very user friendly and intuitive. You can control everything from the steering wheel too! Love the bluetooth streaming audio, iPod interface, and easy controls.

Suggested Improvements

None that I can think of yet! I'll let you know after I drive it more.

Love the car, hate the navigation system
By beignetva

2012 Volvo S60 T5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6A)

I have had this car for over a year. I love the way it handles, it's well built, it drives like a charm. Unfortunately, the navigation system is useless. More often than not, it gets me lost and wants me to get off the highway then get back on for no reason. I've started using my Iphone GPS as a backup as I can't trust this. Also, the way the update to the navigation system is done is antiquated. After asking for over 6 months, I finally received the CD update that took over 6 hours to load while the car was running. This is 2014. There has to be a better way. Unfortunately, as long as Volvo does not improve their navigation system like Audi has, I will not buy another Volvo.

Suggested Improvements

Please improve the navigation system and the way it is updated.