Used 2009 Volvo S60 2.5T Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S60 model:

An Expensive Ride
By gorj

2009 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.5T 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I am a Volvo owner since 1967. Being a mechanic, I have performed most of the non-warranty work on the Volvo myself. My experience has been that most Volvo dealers are way too expensive for both parts and labor. Sometimes they tend to find issues with your Volvo that never existed before you took it in. They also often do not repair what you asked them to repair. Recently I ordered a new key and remote for my 2009 Volvo, which was missing one of the two when I purchased it. The key and remote were about $300. The Volvo dealer wanted another $295 to program it. I am outraged that for just a key and a remote I will be out almost $600. This may be my last Volvo!!

Favorite Features

I have always liked the safety of a Volvo. But as Volvo becomes so expensive to own, I am considering other autos that are just as safe today but cost much less to own. Volvo has always had a very comfortable seat with lots of adjustments. I like the programable power seat adjustments.

Suggested Improvements

Volvo needs to be more fuel efficient. 23 to 28 MPG does not make it today. $600 for a key and remote is absurd. What were they thinking? The interior of a Toyota Camry at $20,000 has more room than a $40,000 S60! An entertainment system should include navigation, Bluetooth, USB, etc. with a auto of this class. The cruise control switch on the steering wheel is in a awkward position. The auto temp control looses its settings every time you turn off the car. Sometimes the radio switches from AUX to FM on it own. At the price it should include home link. Trunk height is too short. Should be easy to turn off headlights when driving - another major programing issue.

Great bang for the buck
By Chris

2009 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.5T 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I've looked at the S60's since they came out years ago...but always thought they were overpriced in the market they competed in. However, with the recent clearance reductions, maintenance and warranty incentives...I couldn't help myself...and couldn't be happier. Probably doesn't compete well with the BMW's, Lexus, and Infiniti in it's original price range...but against the Accord and Camry with similar features, I think it stands head and shoulders above. To me, has a much more high-end feel ride. Gas mileage for me runs about 24 in combined driving, or regular unleaded.

Favorite Features

Front seats...I think they're the most comfortable I've sat it. I'd like to get a desk chair made from one. Interior is very quiet. Everything is very functional, easy to reach.

Suggested Improvements

I can't believe they don't have bluetooth standard. Even the addition is a Motorola add on. Turn radius of small ship. Obviously due for a redesign...but for the price, I won't complain.

My first Volvo. Love it!!!
By Jeremy

2009 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.5T 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I really really like this car. My last car was a 2007 Camry. I test drove some BMW's and Benz's and liked this better. It is pretty quick and easy to drive. It can go pretty fast when you need it to. I have gotten so many compliments on it too. The engine sounds really good and you gett all the torque from 1500-4500 rpm's.

Favorite Features

Auto-dimming mirror with compass is great. The upgraded stereo is the best I have heard in a car before. Better than the other 5 models of cars I drove. The driver's seat is soooooo comfortable. The care is great.

Suggested Improvements

Rear legroom could be improved. Its a little bigger than a 3-series BMW or C- class Benz. My 2007 Toyota Camry had much more leg room.

IKEA on wheels
By PeterJax

2009 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.5T 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

My first Volvo. It looks nice in an IKEA sort of way...some like it, others don't. Seats are very comfortable. Silver metallic paint finish is amazing. Body feels sturdy. Interior controls at first seem strange but you later realize that they are well thought out. Good fuel economy for a car that weighs this much, yet the turbo gives it kick when you need it. Good overall drive, nice mix of sport and luxury.

Favorite Features

Safety features are standard equipment, not options. Turbo can really make it go. Manual says performance ratings based on 91 octane fuel, but you can use 87 octane without harming engine. Volvo currently offering 5 years all maintenance paid!

Suggested Improvements

Rear leg room not good when tall people are in the front seats. Trunk is roomy but the opening is unlike other cars and may make it difficult or impossible to get larger items inside.

Solid Ride.
By Choc

2009 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.5T 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

This is my second car from Sweden. I love the exterior styling, it's beautiful but not flashy. The car drives very good, you have the press the gas paddle a little more than other cars but I guess they made it that way for safety. Volvo did a good job on the interior fit and finish. Although the dash is a little last century on the look, but all the bottoms are well laid out and easy to use. Good mileage per gallon thanks to the turbo.

Favorite Features

Rain sensor

Suggested Improvements

The car is due for a re-design, especially the interior.