Used 2006 Volvo S60 R Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S60 model:

Better than BMW or Mercedes
By dwightex

2006 Volvo S60 R 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

Really great car. I had a 2004, drove about 78000 miles over the 4 year lease. No problems (other than I scrapped the front fascia against a parking lot curb) Also, don't drive this car in heavy snow. even with snow tires, computer couldn't deal with 6" of new snow. Handling and acceleration is very satisfying. Seat is comfortable. Nav is okay. Sport and Comfort settings are great, stereo is great. Little back seat room but we never used the back seat

acceleration and handling, manual is better than auto torque-wise. Got many compliments on the car, even from teans

turning radius is downright dangerous. Don't make any U turns at stoplights or you will find yourself missing the opportunity and having to back up in the intersection

The best of both worlds
By bennewing

2006 Volvo S60 R 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought my S60R used with 63,000 miles and drove it 2,700 miles the first five days (a lot of travel). The car was comfortable, and I never felt tired after a long drive. The Comfort suspension setting does imitate a luxury ride, but make no mistake: this is a sports car attempting to give you a little more comfort if needed. The Volvo S60 R was made for the Sport suspension setting. This car is reliable, handles excellent, provides ample low to mid-range torque, and inspires confidence in the driver. For me: City 22mpg, Highway 28mpg. If you want to drive this car with a heavy foot, expect less. This car is the perfect balance between the daily driver and weekend warrior.

The headlights are very bright and make the path ahead clear. On a sunny day, the moon roof is a great feature. The stereo system in this car is excellent. If you want to go deaf, you can accomplish it. The seats are comfortable and plush. The air conditioning system is excellent regardless of extreme cold temperatures. This car catches attention. It is race inspired and three classes above the ricers out there. It inspires jealousy in many. Last week alone, I had two people roll up beside me and gas it down the road ahead just to make themselves feel better. 0-60 with the automatic is 6 seconds flat. This car is an animal through the turns. Great car for the money!

A wider front seat base. I'm 5'8" and 165 lbs. The seat base is a little narrow for my taste but still comfortable if I remove my wallet. A little more rear seat room for passengers. Comfort is a 3 out of 5 for guests 5'8" or under. The front seat backings do provide a recess for a little extra knee room for back seat passengers, but rear seat room is still a little on the cramped side. iPod connectivity needs improvement. The stereo will play songs in succession or at random, but it will not charge the iPod. The playlists cannot be selected. The center console needs improvement to relieve rattles and plastic creaking sounds. Owners can use felt to relieve these problems.

For a Type R Personality
By mooser

2006 Volvo S60 R 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

In a matter of a second my fuel sipping, turbo spooling Saab, as well as my ego, plowed into a short bus. (Literally) A week later Saab went bust. After much deliberation, I picked up a 2006 S60R with a 100,000 warranty for $16k. This car is FAST and makes the noise of 1/2 a Lamborghini Gallardo. The adjustable suspension and stereo are amazing. This car does take some getting used to, however. I cannot start the engine without feeling as though it guzzled an 1/8th of a tank. The turning circle makes you think of Kirstie Alley trying to do gymnastics, when in a parking lot. Once you unleash it on the road however, all of that disappears as fast the cars in your rear view mirror.

Seats, Dolby 11 speaker stereo, Big Brembo Brakes, exhaust note, modulating ride quality based on mood, xenon headlights, heated seats, not being a Mercedes or BMW. A Volvo to some, a S60 to others and and R for those who matter.

Turning circle, fuel economy, more driver-side legroom, stock iPod connectivity, better radio antenna, a simple sat nav.

Incredible Car for the Dollar
By texasbry

2006 Volvo S60 R 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

original owner since 2006 I looked at all the usual names, Audi/BMW/Saab/Nissan but either they were more then I wanted to spend and even worse, every street is littered with them! Almost 6 years later I get into this car and still love it!

Acceleration, Quality of Finish, Excellent gas mileage 30mpg for 2hr highway trip, AWD and handling = Value and an uncommon car too!

Buy with the top of the line stereo, AWD drive leads to poor turning radius

Disappointed With Car
By Lynne

2006 Volvo S60 R 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I purchased this care when I gave my Nissan Altima to my daughter due to her car being totaled. I am totally disappointed with the care and am trading it in after only having it for less than two years. The turning radius is bad and the main problem is the alignment. I have had to buy two complete new sets of tires during that period. Last time was because I had a blowout on the highway. The alignment has to be redesigned so it isn't so sensitive to any bumps. Car definitely didn't live up to my expectations.

Body design and comfort of the seats.

Resign alignment and make the car a little higher so the front doesn't catch on parking dividers.