2005 Volvo S60 R - Consumer Reviews

R 2.5L 5-cyl. Turbo AWD 6-speed Manual - (55 reviews )
Mixed Bag
By Dan on 07/12/06 21:24 PM (PDT)

2005 Volvo S60 R R 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

Excellent performance, though road noise is a bit excessive at times. 30,000 miles on the car and it's been in the shop five times for various repairs: electrical issues, switches failing, very harsh "buzz" on AM radio caused by poor shielding (still not resolved completely) AWD went out at 25K (acted like FWD only, no power to rear), all fixed under warranty but I expected better from a $40-45K car. On the upside, average mileage (combined city/hwy) has been 25.6 for 20,000 miles (nice!) and gets 32 Mpg on level highway (55-60 mph). Relatively comfortable for 3-hour per day commutes. Turning radius of the Queen Mary (good grief this thing is hard to get in a small space!).

2005 Volvo S 60R
By Dale Fryberger on 03/13/06 15:11 PM (PST)

2005 Volvo S60 R R 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I purchased car used with 4400 miles. It was a Volvo finance division company car from headquarters in Michigan. It's automatic, very fast and turns heads. My car has the sport package (ground effects), is bright red, and has the Atacama natural leather interior option. This car definitely looks European with its low slung appearance and twin exhausts peeking out the lower left corner. It is so coool ! I chose this car over Acura, BMW 3 & 5 series (overpriced) and Lexus IS 350. The sport package and Atacama interior are a must have ! Seats are tops! Really comfortable. Engine sounds so great. All I need yet is a high priced radar detector ! This car cruises so effortlessly !

1 Fun Car
By MikeM on 01/18/06 21:41 PM (PST)

2005 Volvo S60 R R 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I smile often driving my R! Acceleration and handling are outstanding. I can make passing maneuvers in this car that I could not make in any other car I have driven. Interior is full of luxury with great blue accents. At first I thought I would not like to change tires ( a must for the R that comes with summer only tires). However, winter sport tires and high performance summers totally add to the driving experience. At 4500 miles to date, I am very satisfied with the purchase. This is not some quiet, boring Lexus/Acura; the R rocks!

S60R Fun
By Kate on 01/15/06 11:01 AM (PST)

2005 Volvo S60 R R 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

This car is incredible to drive, the speed and handling make it an absolute joy, whether you are going to get groceries or just going out for a little fun!

R for Racing
By Volvo on 01/15/06 02:50 AM (PST)

2005 Volvo S60 R R 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

This is the 2nd Volvo R I have purchased. It drives smoothly and has good balance. If you drive on rough roads this isn't the car for you. If luxury, safety and performance are of concern, look no further. The Automatic is significantly slower than the manual - absolutely take the aero package. This car gets more looks than Pamela Anderson - Enjoy.

stealth Q-ship better than my old A4!
By Gomansfield on 12/23/05 18:56 PM (PST)

2005 Volvo S60 R R 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

This Volvo is a far cry from the old 240 I had out of college. Low, muscular stance with the 18" Pegasus wheels, adjustable suspension, and 6 speed manual backed by a high-tech 300 HP engine make this a serious drivers car. This kids fit fine in back and the fold down seat is handy. Seats are the best in class and the sound system rocks both with the optional sirrius sat. radio and the ipod adapter. Need a place to store coins, and side and rear shades would be nice touches. Bought my 05 for about $38K, well under sticker. This put the R in a whole new price range where it easiy out shines the competition that I shopped (Acura TL, audi A4, and the G35).

ultimate sleeper
By sleeper on 12/20/05 01:10 AM (PST)

2005 Volvo S60 R R 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

For anyone wondering what the S60R can do flat out on the super highways of germany (AUTOBAHN). Well let me tell you. When I first test drove the demo car I was sold.The dealer told me to break it in at least 3000 miles and then drive it how you want. So I did just that.After the 3 was up I was trying to race everything I could.For those who don't know on the Autobahn there is (NO) speed limit.I took it to the max.It tops out between 155- 160mph. It gets there Quick. I would run the car at 150mph for 3 hours straight (no problem). Cars I blasted. bmw 545i, boxer porsche,all audis period. Hell the only thing that pushed me out the left lane was the 2006 M5. Everything less was NO match for it.

Well Kept Secret
By bfi10765CharlotteNC on 12/19/05 22:22 PM (PST)

2005 Volvo S60 R R 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I have owned 3 M3's (95,98 and 02, also a 540 6sp. I was shopping for a used M5 when I stumbled across this car. Some complain about handling, road feel, etc, but after a couple dcays driving I have gotten used to the awd and turbo. This car is every bit as enjoyable to drive as my 02 M3 for about 20K less. Build quality is better. Car is definitely faster than the 95 or 98 M3 and darn close to the 02. I got my 05 \with every option except NAV for 11K off sticker. Also drove the lexus is350 and infinite m45. Prefer the volvo. GREAT CAR.

Good Car
By Ron on 12/09/05 19:31 PM (PST)

2005 Volvo S60 R R 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

Car is great, I love the Acnatera interior. I have had it for approx 5K miles so far. Only problems are the dealer can't seem to figure out how to adjust the Xenon headlamps and the wheels scuff real easily. Already have 2 severely damaged ones. The problem seems to be the tire has no shoulder to protect the wheel, even in a drive thru carwash. I wish I could contact someone at Volvo in the "R Division" to talk about the car but can't seem to find anyone. DCX's SRT division has great chat rooms. Guess Volvo is too small??? or I am not good on the tube.

I love it!
By Debbie on 11/01/05 03:39 AM (PST)

2005 Volvo S60 R R 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I picked up my S60R in Sweden, and have been driving it in Italy, where we're stationed, for the past 4 months. I'm not sure how I'm gonna afford the tickets I'll probably get when we return to the states, as it's very difficult to keep this car under 80mph-- 90 or so is a comfortable cruising speed on the Autostrade. Have 2 boys, and the 5'8" 13 year old hasn't complained on 3 hour road trips about the space in back, but could use a little more leg room, I'm sure. Plenty of cargo space, and I love the elegant feel of the interior, and I love knowing that I've got a powerful engine under the hood, as well as a safe car for carting my kids around.