Used 2004 Volvo S60 Consumer Reviews - 244 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Volvo S60 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S60 model:

Its a Nice car But
By Omajacks

2004 Volvo S60 R 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I Purchased my S60R in Jan 05. I bought it for the safety, Comfort and Looks. However I have had a few Problems with it like the breaks (when they really get wet they let you and anybody with in 1 city block know it from the screaching it makes, Volvo has looked at multiple times and has yet to fix it.), Turning radius (if I had test driven this car better like in a parking lot I wouldn't have bought it it turns like a semi.) and the front bumper (Don't touch any parking bumpers with both your front tires, I've done it twice and both times when backing out it has pulled off my bumper and stretched out the bottom of my bumper. ie. a 900 dollar replacement job). Other then that not bad.

The drive and ride are great power is good also especially when sport is turned on on the auto trans. It looks great and handles well specifically in bad weather snow, rain and ice. I love that all wheel drive. The audio system sounds good.

do something about the ground clearence in the front and a better turn radius would help too. also one more thing my 4yr old son shut the rear passenger door on my hand and now I'm missing part of my pinky. it seals tight. so maybe some more insulation in the door wells too.

fantastic
By Chavez

2004 Volvo S60 2.4 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

The car is fantastic. Has pretty much every option I wanted, but about $3,000- $7,000 less than similar category cars. Also, I have 50,000 more miles of Volvo certified warranty...

Seats are comfortable, interior is great, mileage is about 31-33 on the highway.

Backseat room... but I knew it going into the deal.

After 24,000 miles...
By GV3

2004 Volvo S60 2.4 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

...glad to report this is a great car. I purchased my 2.4 at the end of the 04 model year from my dealer's service fleet. In the two years I've owned it, it has been completely trouble free; the only $ I have spent is on oil changes. Front seat comfort is outstanding, although rear seating is a bit tight. Not a fast car in terms of 0-60 acceleration, but not slow, either; mid-range acceleration when passing or merging is quite good. Ergonomics are terrific. My other car is a BMW 3-series, which frankly is more fun to drive, but the Volvo's comfort is the choice of my wife and I for a longer trip. I traded a C-class for the Volvo, and feel we traded up in comfort and reliability.

Great front seats, decent trunk, sportier handling and mid-range speed than you might expect. Lots of features for the money. Reliability has been flawless. Volvo certified warranty. 33mpg on the highway on regular gas!

Wish it had a bit more rear seat room. Won't win any drag racing; if 0-60 is what you want, look for the turbo.

Disappointed
By M

2004 Volvo S60 2.5T Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

The car is nice looking and safe, but beyond that I have not been impressed. The turning radius is terrible, it takes about 5 turns to get out of a parking space. The automatic key lock has a prolonged delay, and I find myself waiting for my doors to open and lock. The car makes noises when you turn left, and the dealer said "thats just what this car does". Brake pads are not covered under the warranty and they needed to be replaced at 15,000 miles. Overall not impressed with the Volvo, and would not buy another.

Smooth Ride, but at what cost?
By Still ridin'

2004 Volvo S60 R 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

This car is amazing. Definitely an eye turner. Great acceleration in top gear when pulling away from traffic or overtaking slower cars. I have a geartronic and I believe that it needs to be six gears and not five (Volvo corrects this with the latest models). The front seats are comfortable for taller people. There's a lack of storage space for things but otherwise not bad. I noticed fuel economy got better after approx 15K miles. Can somebody please do something about the turning radius and the wheels?

Free services until 30K miles; in dash CD changer; both front and rear fog lights (a must in Europe); trunk space; superior traction and control

Turning radius; wheels (too easy to damage); cd changer should be at least 6 instead of 4 (never mind that earlier changers had to be replaced); DIM module needed to fix odometer issues; geartronic should have acceleration ratios improved and not have such a drastic drop off from manual