Used 2004 Volvo S60 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Volvo S60

View reviews for a specific S60 model:

Volvo for life is true
By SMPM

2004 Volvo S60 2.4 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

My S60 was a fleet vehicle w/low miles. I averaged 36 mpg hwy driving the car back home cross-country. The car is safe, solid - it's not nimble like my old A4 or current Jetta, but solid. If I hit anything with this car, I will either push it out of the way or run over it - that's the feeling this car's drive quality has - heavy, solid, secure. Ergonomics on this car are superb. The seating is heaven and safety-blessed with the WHPS system. I have the 2.4L engine, and while I don't drag race, I know I have reasonable passing power. I drive this car like a hybrid - slow off the start, no wasted fuel, moderate braking on stops, and I average around 26/27mpg in urban driving.

Favorite Features

Interior seating and ergonomics. Multiple safety features and built-in redundancy. My rear tail light failed, but there is a secondary bulb in the taillight that continues to illuminate until you get a replacement. This illustrates Volvo's philosophy of safety. Love the aerodynamics of this car.

Suggested Improvements

Larger stock wheels. I'm going to upgrade to 17" wheels eventually (with sacrifice of gas mileage). I miss the automatic door locking feature from my Jetta - what a gripe, right? I must remember to lock this car manually when inside.

Piece of junk
By DZwink

2004 Volvo S60 2.5T Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

We bought our Volvo when we decided to start a family due to the safety reputation. My sister had owned three, one of which saved her life in a wreck, and had also managed to put 300,000 miles on one without incident. Ours is now about to go in the shop for the third time in two months. It has had three parts in the fuel system fail so far with Volvo comping me on one due to my less than pleased opinion of the car so far. I've never had this many problems with a car before. I won't be buying another one. Makes me wish I had bought the Infiniti or Volkswagen I was looking at instead of this.

Favorite Features

Good handling and performance for the price.

Suggested Improvements

Quality and reliability of the engine components are in serious question. This makes the good features irrelevant.

What a fun car.
By Demetri

2004 Volvo S60 R 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I had been drooling over the S60/V70R for a couple of years, and finally had the means to buy one. I could not be happier with the vehicle. It is fun to drive, and the performance is great.

Favorite Features

My favorite feature with this car is the 4C adjustable chassis concept.

Perfect Compromise
By Mike

2004 Volvo S60 R 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

The objective reviews of this car are right on. On balance, the severe flaws in this car are outweighed by the advantages. I came from an Audi A4. The A4 just "felt" much better but the S60R blows the A4 away in pure speed and power. The S60R is not terribly reliable but more so than the A4. Both cars are expensive to maintain. The A4 was more comfortable inside and the A4 interior is more attractive.The safety features and the standard "extra's" on the S60 far exceed the A4. There is a major problem with the turning radius of the S60R - MAJOR. The rear seat room in the S60R is nothing short of disgraceful. The stock tires on the S60R are dangerous; trammeling.This car is a compromise.

Favorite Features

Power, Safety, gizmos (self-dimming mirror, audio system, Nav system, etc..), stealth appearance, wheels, surprisingly good customer service compared to Audi

Suggested Improvements

improve rear seat room, improve turning radius, safer stock tires, more comfortable seats, improve reliability, annoying delay in activating power locks and actual locking/unlocking; severe turbo lag, front bumper WAY too low-gets caught on cement parking lot dividers, very expensive to replace.

R U happy? You bet!
By zooommaan

2004 Volvo S60 R 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

People have definitely hit on the high and low points. This car is Fast and Furious. It goes like a bat out of hell, stops on a dime and handles like a racehorse. It does all this in comfort and safety and looks good to boot! The stereo is awesome, it is always a pleasure to take this car out. However, I always feel like this car would rather be on an autobahn than tooling around town. I am watching the mileage dropping (on the trip computer) daily. It is not a great car to drive slowly, that's the bottom line.

Favorite Features

The engine. Truly awesome technology to get this kind of power out of 5 cylinders. The suspension. Love those 3 settings. Brakes are amazing (mine have never squealed). The optional stereo/CD changer is excellent.

Suggested Improvements

A 42 foot turning radius is an embarrassment. Try parking this truck in a tight spot! Need to be very careful with the wheel rims, easily scratched. Optional body molding is too low! I scrape it every day no matter how careful I am. Xenon headlights don't illuminate far enough in front of car.