Used 2004 Volvo S60 R Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Volvo S60 - Consumer Reviews

2004 Volvo S60 R

R 2.5L 5-cyl. Turbo AWD 6-speed Manual - (117 reviews )

R U happy? You bet!
By zooommaan

2004 Volvo S60 R R 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

People have definitely hit on the high and low points. This car is Fast and Furious. It goes like a bat out of hell, stops on a dime and handles like a racehorse. It does all this in comfort and safety and looks good to boot! The stereo is awesome, it is always a pleasure to take this car out. However, I always feel like this car would rather be on an autobahn than tooling around town. I am watching the mileage dropping (on the trip computer) daily. It is not a great car to drive slowly, that's the bottom line.

Favorite Features

The engine. Truly awesome technology to get this kind of power out of 5 cylinders. The suspension. Love those 3 settings. Brakes are amazing (mine have never squealed). The optional stereo/CD changer is excellent.

Suggested Improvements

A 42 foot turning radius is an embarrassment. Try parking this truck in a tight spot! Need to be very careful with the wheel rims, easily scratched. Optional body molding is too low! I scrape it every day no matter how careful I am. Xenon headlights don't illuminate far enough in front of car.

Its a Nice car But
By Omajacks

2004 Volvo S60 R R 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I Purchased my S60R in Jan 05. I bought it for the safety, Comfort and Looks. However I have had a few Problems with it like the breaks (when they really get wet they let you and anybody with in 1 city block know it from the screaching it makes, Volvo has looked at multiple times and has yet to fix it.), Turning radius (if I had test driven this car better like in a parking lot I wouldn't have bought it it turns like a semi.) and the front bumper (Don't touch any parking bumpers with both your front tires, I've done it twice and both times when backing out it has pulled off my bumper and stretched out the bottom of my bumper. ie. a 900 dollar replacement job). Other then that not bad.

Favorite Features

The drive and ride are great power is good also especially when sport is turned on on the auto trans. It looks great and handles well specifically in bad weather snow, rain and ice. I love that all wheel drive. The audio system sounds good.

Suggested Improvements

do something about the ground clearence in the front and a better turn radius would help too. also one more thing my 4yr old son shut the rear passenger door on my hand and now I'm missing part of my pinky. it seals tight. so maybe some more insulation in the door wells too.

Smooth Ride, but at what cost?
By Still ridin'

2004 Volvo S60 R R 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

This car is amazing. Definitely an eye turner. Great acceleration in top gear when pulling away from traffic or overtaking slower cars. I have a geartronic and I believe that it needs to be six gears and not five (Volvo corrects this with the latest models). The front seats are comfortable for taller people. There's a lack of storage space for things but otherwise not bad. I noticed fuel economy got better after approx 15K miles. Can somebody please do something about the turning radius and the wheels?

Favorite Features

Free services until 30K miles; in dash CD changer; both front and rear fog lights (a must in Europe); trunk space; superior traction and control

Suggested Improvements

Turning radius; wheels (too easy to damage); cd changer should be at least 6 instead of 4 (never mind that earlier changers had to be replaced); DIM module needed to fix odometer issues; geartronic should have acceleration ratios improved and not have such a drastic drop off from manual

Is there a better sport sedan?
By jon heberling

2004 Volvo S60 R R 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

With IPD ECU and exhaust 335 hp. The Brembo brakes should be on all volvos, they would be a great selling point. Where can one find more comfortable seats? Performance is outrageous. The grip in snow and ice is quite assuring. Not being a racing driver I cannot address subtelties in steering, but I doubt that a BMW M3 or a $50,000 Mercedes could compare to this one. An Audi S4 weighs 300# more, so could not handle as well. A truly wonderful car this Volvo. The atacama leather too is unmatched by the competition.

Suggested Improvements

Lose more weight. Use simpler technology like cranks on windows and for seat adjustment. Also I question the use of huge tires where one must drive in wet conditions.

Great All-Arounder
By Dan

2004 Volvo S60 R R 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I live in Germany and wanted something appropriate for the Autobahn and weather. My requirements were AWD and at least 300 hp, and safety was also a concern. I looked at and drove Audi, BMW and Mercedes. For the price range, there was nothing that compared to the Volvo S60R. An absolute blast to drive and comfortable. Crusing at 130 mph is effortless and very stable. With snow tires, it will drive through anything. Only gripe I have with it is the HORRIBLE turning radius....a real pain while in Europe.

Favorite Features

Torque, appearance and comfort

Suggested Improvements

Would be nice if Volvo could tighten the turning radius a bit...it's really bad! Some more hp would also be nice, but you can only get so much out of 2.5 liters.