2004 Volvo S60 R - Consumer Reviews

R 2.5L 5-cyl. Turbo AWD 6-speed Manual - (117 reviews )
Fun for the Price!
By Doc_TCF on 12/29/04 15:58 PM (PST)

2004 Volvo S60 R R 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

Tje 2004 Volvo S60R is my wife's car and I have trouble not taking her car in the morning instead of my Lincoln Aviator! I have so much fun driving the R, that I insist on driving when my wife and I travel together. It has great acceleration with only a slight turbo lag at the start, but really starts to move in 2nd/3rd gear. The front seats are the most comfortable Ive been in. And as a young professional couple with a baby on the way, I feel great about having such a safe car as well. The AWD is also a bonus in the rainy NW. Volvo has better customer service than BMW. Only complaints are a recurring theme here: poor turning radius and the wheels scratch easliy.

Still Thrillen
By DwBMan on 12/01/04 13:12 PM (PST)

2004 Volvo S60 R R 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I really fell in love with this car on my first test drive. Good power and quality for a decent price. I have never had a problem with squeeky brakes. For those who have the six speed, I would suggest using your downshift to brake your speed. Many who are not used to a stick often crystalize the brakes and the rotors by using them too much. Don't be afraid to rev this engine on the downshift - it is half the fun of a performance car.

hot
By the legend on 11/30/04 21:10 PM (PST)

2004 Volvo S60 R R 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

The ride is smooth, fast, and powerful or the highway. No match in its class. Not bad for local driving, either, as you can stay in 3rd most of the time to minimize shifting. Can't think of much to improve on, except turning radius. Performance seems to improve as mileage increases, or is it me?

RRRRRR
By Muzics on 11/25/04 04:41 AM (PST)

2004 Volvo S60 R R 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

Although the car is new with 1250 miles on it, its definately a good deal. Not only is the car most comfortable, but a good performer for the money. So far no problems with the vehicle it drives great and has a lovely style and interior. Turbo lag is non existant and it makes you want to drive it the more you drive it. So far im very happy with my purchase its understated,fast and a good alternative to much higher priced vehicles. For the performance, style and all the safety I was sold before I actually bought it.

Sweet Swede
By byrdsnest on 11/17/04 18:05 PM (PST)

2004 Volvo S60 R R 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

Great ride for the money. Quality and workmanship are excellent. Volvo really looks out for the purchaser.

Best of Both Worlds
By righteoustraveler on 11/11/04 15:59 PM (PST)

2004 Volvo S60 R R 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I have had my S60R for 4 months and cannot recommend it more enthusiastically! Aesthetically the body and interior project the perfect balance of elegance, sex appeal, and virility without the pretentious vibe of the BMW & Mercedes crowd. In my opinion the R gives you the most versatility and value on the market. First of all it's a limited edition vehicle(only about 4000 or so in US) which can only bolster resale value. Second, the combination of safety, performance, and price(got mine for 35,600) is second to none. Third, the versatility is addictive. This is the only vehicle on the market with the ability to choose from three different suspensions, thats like owning 3 different cars!

many many problems
By wakk on 11/08/04 16:24 PM (PST)

2004 Volvo S60 R R 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

i leased my s60r in 2/04 and have had nothing but problems with it. first the hose for the power steering went out and then a week later a fog light burnt out in april. since then it has 7500 miles and the chassis setting has gone out and it keeps backfiring between shifts. the backfiring has been a problem since april and service told me to first wind out the rpm's and now i am told it is a characterisic of the s60r. the front tires are now rubbing when turned to the far right or left.i am meeting with the tech guy and volvo rep 11/10/04 hoping to get out of my lease and move on to a dependable car like the nissan maxima.

A Hidden Gem
By wrcinct on 11/08/04 16:01 PM (PST)

2004 Volvo S60 R R 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

Stumbled upon this car while shopping for a car for my dad. Never seriously considered a Volvo although a did admire its styling and long list of amenities. Had narrowed my choices to an Acura TL and Infiniti G35 Coupe, both with manual transmissions. After wrapping up the deal for dad, the salesman suggested I take the S60R in the showroom for a test spin. I took the bait, hook, line and sinker. The car was meant to be driven, the harder you drive it the better it responds. The active suspension works like a charm, allowing the driver to cruise in comfort or tighten the chassis to handle like a true sports car. Did I mention the lack of turbo-lag? Horsepower, torque, AWD and 23 MPG too !!

Turning ratio difficult in urban areas
By msl on 10/30/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volvo S60 R R 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

Should have taken some close U-turns on the test drive. With 18" wheels, it is almost impossible to perform a U-turn in city with 4 lane traffic. So concerned that I looked at moving back from AWD to a T-5 and with only 2,000 miles, the "book value" had decreased $14K from what I paid 3 months earlier. Fun to drive on highway, not in city.

Wow
By R or R or R on 10/30/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volvo S60 R R 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I'll start by saying I agree with ther majority of reviews to date. This car is really close to perfection. Sure, I can make comment about "this little thing or that" but the bottom line is this is one fine car. The mors you drive it the better it gets ! Bought a 2004 Cross Country for my wife, fell ni love with Volvo for 1000 good reasons and went back and got a new 2004 S60R. What a 3D ride. It's what you want you want it to be 24X7 and does a great job. Power, style, ride, performance, etc, etc. Do yourself a favor check one out for an hour or two - you will not want to give it back. AMG, M3, Audi, bla, bla, take the money and run em..VOLVO FOR EVER !