Used 2004 Volvo S60 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Volvo S60 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S60 model:

Sweet
By ATY

2004 Volvo S60 2.4 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I enjoy driving this car and plan to keep for at least 10 years or more since I only put 10K miles per year on the car. Besides $ for oil changes, I purchased a new set of TSW rims that are powdered gray against the white car. I do have a recurring problem where the computer loses it program and the dealer has to download a new one, on three different occasions. Also, the turning radius is pathetic and the tires grind when turning too hard. But, it gets great MPG and drives like a dream. Also in the past 4 years I probably replaced 5 tail light bulbs?

Favorite Features

Well built, like the tight sound when you shut the doors. Extremely safe! Large trunk. Comfortable leather seats. Next time I would like to buy an S80.

Suggested Improvements

Fix turning radius. I like the looks of 2004 S60 tail lights the best.

Still Great After 75 Thousand Miles
By KPboy

2004 Volvo S60 2.4 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I got this S60 hoping it would be reliable, and it hasn't let me down. Year after year it has been problem free. After almost 6 full years of service, it has been the best car I have ever owned. I even live in a mountainous region with constant hill driving and braking, and the S60 manages quite nicely. The only money I have spent on this car since purchase has been for the regular maintenance intervals. If you are looking for something rock solid when it comes to safety and reliability, then this one is the absolute best. I would know, ive had 2 benzes, a BMW and an Audi. This one impresses me more than any of those.

Favorite Features

Nice large trunk, Rock-Solid reliability, Nice Audio System Performance, Comfortable and Supportive Seats, Convenient Coat hook on headrest, Firm and precise steering.

Suggested Improvements

Rear legroom is lacking, quicker 2.4 engine, inclusion of station preset buttons, improved center console layout, ability to open trunk while the engine is running.

Trouble in Volvoland
By Clyde Beck

2004 Volvo S60 2.5T Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

In may of 2004 my Fiancée and I traveled to Sweden to pick up my new S60. It was a wonderful experience and most of it was paid for by Volvo. I'm in to my forth year now and early last year I had an issue that never got resolved. While driving one day my side view mirror glass began to wobble. I quickly pushed on it and that prevented it from falling off. Five days latter while making a left hand turn my passenger side view glass mirror fell of and crashed to the ground. I contacted my Volvo dealer where I had been taking my car for service for four years and they replaced the mirrors and charged me. I thought that wasn't right because it had to be a manufacturing defect.

Favorite Features

Sound system,great passing power and handling and great milage.

Suggested Improvements

Center console is garbage the color is coming off from very little contact.

Rare Combination
By Reviewer

2004 Volvo S60 R 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I love my S60R! Few cars in the world can claim high performance, comfort, exclusivity, great looks, all wheel drive, and still get 30 miles per gallon on the highway. It is a jack of all trades, and a master of none, other than being a great all around performance car. I bought the car two years ago with 25K miles and have had a few maintenance issues that have thankfully been covered under warranty; i.e. the HID headlamps pointed down too much and triggered a warning, the radio display went haywire, there in a thumping sound in the rear suspension occasionally when braking, and oh yes, the factory front air dams got torn off in a matter of months.

Favorite Features

Power, speed , luxury, looks, and fuel economy.

Suggested Improvements

Better designed air dams.

Great used car purchase
By KeepKeysAwayFromWife

2004 Volvo S60 2.5T Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Purchased 04 S60 2.5T in May 09 with ~60k miles for ~$10k. Although not as tight or responsive as 91 Jetta GLI, car is fun to drive with adequate hp. Suspension is firm, but steering feedback is less than GLI. Seats are very comfortable, but not as snug as Recarro's of GLI. MPG settling in around 21.5 with mix of very short daily commute with 1 hr drives to airport. Even with STC on, the car will squeal tires. Wife would not drive Acura CL, but regularly absconds with the S60!

Favorite Features

17" wheels, sound system, auto-stick, rain sensing wipers, exterior styling, decent acceleration.

Suggested Improvements

Finish on inside door pull and center console scrach easily. Equipped with cassette player???? really??? --> 6 disk in dach changer would be much better choice. Turning radius bigger than expected for this size car.