2004 Volvo S60 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S60 model:
Glorified Yugo
By Doug on 01/11/08 14:31 PM (PST)

2004 Volvo S60 2.4 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I can agree with the safety and reliability written about this car. The comfort is just marginal. What destroys this car is the turning radius! The car is slow and the gas mileage is average. The interior is sooo small. I have a child seat in the back and it takes over the backseat! Being 6'2" is a real problem with the interior size. Overall, I would never get another Volvo!

Ultimate Volvo Turn On
By Hilltop Volvo Fan on 12/03/07 23:34 PM (PST)

2004 Volvo S60 R 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

Volvo epitomizes "safety" to me and most important feature in a car for me was simply a comfortable, safe, and affordable ride until I bought a used 2004 S60R that has completely rocked my world! What a beast! I love the way the car handles, drives, and looks. AWD and lightning fast acceleration and solid braking... man, I am in love!

Volvo for life is true
By SMPM on 06/27/07 06:04 AM (PDT)

2004 Volvo S60 2.4 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

My S60 was a fleet vehicle w/low miles. I averaged 36 mpg hwy driving the car back home cross-country. The car is safe, solid - it's not nimble like my old A4 or current Jetta, but solid. If I hit anything with this car, I will either push it out of the way or run over it - that's the feeling this car's drive quality has - heavy, solid, secure. Ergonomics on this car are superb. The seating is heaven and safety-blessed with the WHPS system. I have the 2.4L engine, and while I don't drag race, I know I have reasonable passing power. I drive this car like a hybrid - slow off the start, no wasted fuel, moderate braking on stops, and I average around 26/27mpg in urban driving.

Piece of junk
By DZwink on 04/26/07 20:44 PM (PDT)

2004 Volvo S60 2.5T Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

We bought our Volvo when we decided to start a family due to the safety reputation. My sister had owned three, one of which saved her life in a wreck, and had also managed to put 300,000 miles on one without incident. Ours is now about to go in the shop for the third time in two months. It has had three parts in the fuel system fail so far with Volvo comping me on one due to my less than pleased opinion of the car so far. I've never had this many problems with a car before. I won't be buying another one. Makes me wish I had bought the Infiniti or Volkswagen I was looking at instead of this.

What a fun car.
By Demetri on 01/15/07 16:45 PM (PST)

2004 Volvo S60 R 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I had been drooling over the S60/V70R for a couple of years, and finally had the means to buy one. I could not be happier with the vehicle. It is fun to drive, and the performance is great.

Perfect Compromise
By Mike on 01/09/07 13:10 PM (PST)

2004 Volvo S60 R 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

The objective reviews of this car are right on. On balance, the severe flaws in this car are outweighed by the advantages. I came from an Audi A4. The A4 just "felt" much better but the S60R blows the A4 away in pure speed and power. The S60R is not terribly reliable but more so than the A4. Both cars are expensive to maintain. The A4 was more comfortable inside and the A4 interior is more attractive.The safety features and the standard "extra's" on the S60 far exceed the A4. There is a major problem with the turning radius of the S60R - MAJOR. The rear seat room in the S60R is nothing short of disgraceful. The stock tires on the S60R are dangerous; trammeling.This car is a compromise.

R U happy? You bet!
By zooommaan on 12/11/06 18:52 PM (PST)

2004 Volvo S60 R 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

People have definitely hit on the high and low points. This car is Fast and Furious. It goes like a bat out of hell, stops on a dime and handles like a racehorse. It does all this in comfort and safety and looks good to boot! The stereo is awesome, it is always a pleasure to take this car out. However, I always feel like this car would rather be on an autobahn than tooling around town. I am watching the mileage dropping (on the trip computer) daily. It is not a great car to drive slowly, that's the bottom line.

32,000 miles
By Bodie on 10/13/06 18:41 PM (PDT)

2004 Volvo S60 T5 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

Over 2 years ownership now-premium and sport packages. Pros: very comfortable seats, doesn't look like everything else on the road, reliability, decent performance. cons: turning radius is terrible (my 2005 tacoma double cab is easier to park than the volvo) glove compartment rattles on bumps, road noise. Overall I can't complain, my wife likes her ride, and have had no mechanical issues yet. I enjoy the sport shift when I drive it. I still would have chosen the Acura TL if it were my choice. We also tested the BMW 325, infiniti G35, Mercedes 230 and Acura TL.

Small things bother me
By VV on 09/19/06 11:13 AM (PDT)

2004 Volvo S60 T5 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

I have had my Volvo for over a year now and it's a good car, but I can't get over the radio knob for the pre-set stations, it's a pain to use. Also, there is no trunk release in the car, which means I have to use the unlock function inside the car or on the key fob. Also, there is no where to put trash. The rear seat headrests block my vision, therefore I drive with them down and it looks stupid.

850,S70,S60 whats next?
By tmorgan4 on 09/13/06 10:25 AM (PDT)

2004 Volvo S60 T5 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

I've had the 850, S70 and now the S60 and this is probably the best car i've ever driven. Great on gas mileage,probably the most seductive sedan on the market and fun to drive. Pound for pound this might be the best european sedan on the market! I love everything about it, I can't even imagine what the next generation s60 will be like.