2004 Volvo S60 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S60 model:
2004 Volvo review
By eturner on 05/31/09 12:28 PM (PDT)

2004 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

Have owned two previous Volvo's and now own two 2004 S-60 2.4 sedans. Have driven both long distance and around town and find them to be very enjoyable to drive.

Exterior Beauty
By amspychalski on 05/12/09 17:31 PM (PDT)

2004 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

Bought my S60 used with 60k miles, and couldn't be happier with the price I paid. While I was not completely happy with the overall acceleration from stop (which was greatly improved by adding a cool-air intake for $30), the performance and handling of the car is great. Before the addition of the intake, the car got 30 mpg (around 35 with). I get positive comments all the time regarding the looks of the car. The bi-xenon headlamps, leather interior, and 18 inch wheels are must-have options that drastically change the appearance of the car. The handling on windy roads is fantastic. Acceleration from stop is not great, but makes up for it in the quick jump it can make from 40 to 80+ mph

A Realistic Review
By 1st European Car on 03/24/08 18:33 PM (PDT)

2004 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.5T AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought this car looking for an AWD sedan that was good on gas, fun to drive and affordable. After a long search, I settled on the Volvo. I've probably read over 15 editorial reviews, scoured consumer feedback, etc. on this car, and owned it for about a week now, so here is the deal. Reviewers say this car is not the most luxurious, not the fastest nor has the best design. However, it does do all of these things very well, so I think it's the best value of any domestic or Euro sedan. It's extremely comfortable, fast enough and holds the road well, without the hefty price tag of a BMW or Lexus. I love this car, and received a lot of compliments in the short time I've owned it.

Glorified Yugo
By Doug on 01/11/08 14:31 PM (PST)

2004 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I can agree with the safety and reliability written about this car. The comfort is just marginal. What destroys this car is the turning radius! The car is slow and the gas mileage is average. The interior is sooo small. I have a child seat in the back and it takes over the backseat! Being 6'2" is a real problem with the interior size. Overall, I would never get another Volvo!

Volvo for life is true
By SMPM on 06/27/07 06:04 AM (PDT)

2004 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

My S60 was a fleet vehicle w/low miles. I averaged 36 mpg hwy driving the car back home cross-country. The car is safe, solid - it's not nimble like my old A4 or current Jetta, but solid. If I hit anything with this car, I will either push it out of the way or run over it - that's the feeling this car's drive quality has - heavy, solid, secure. Ergonomics on this car are superb. The seating is heaven and safety-blessed with the WHPS system. I have the 2.4L engine, and while I don't drag race, I know I have reasonable passing power. I drive this car like a hybrid - slow off the start, no wasted fuel, moderate braking on stops, and I average around 26/27mpg in urban driving.

Piece of junk
By DZwink on 04/26/07 20:44 PM (PDT)

2004 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.5T Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

We bought our Volvo when we decided to start a family due to the safety reputation. My sister had owned three, one of which saved her life in a wreck, and had also managed to put 300,000 miles on one without incident. Ours is now about to go in the shop for the third time in two months. It has had three parts in the fuel system fail so far with Volvo comping me on one due to my less than pleased opinion of the car so far. I've never had this many problems with a car before. I won't be buying another one. Makes me wish I had bought the Infiniti or Volkswagen I was looking at instead of this.

32,000 miles
By Bodie on 10/13/06 18:41 PM (PDT)

2004 Volvo S60 Sedan T5 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

Over 2 years ownership now-premium and sport packages. Pros: very comfortable seats, doesn't look like everything else on the road, reliability, decent performance. cons: turning radius is terrible (my 2005 tacoma double cab is easier to park than the volvo) glove compartment rattles on bumps, road noise. Overall I can't complain, my wife likes her ride, and have had no mechanical issues yet. I enjoy the sport shift when I drive it. I still would have chosen the Acura TL if it were my choice. We also tested the BMW 325, infiniti G35, Mercedes 230 and Acura TL.

Small things bother me
By VV on 09/19/06 11:13 AM (PDT)

2004 Volvo S60 Sedan T5 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

I have had my Volvo for over a year now and it's a good car, but I can't get over the radio knob for the pre-set stations, it's a pain to use. Also, there is no trunk release in the car, which means I have to use the unlock function inside the car or on the key fob. Also, there is no where to put trash. The rear seat headrests block my vision, therefore I drive with them down and it looks stupid.

850,S70,S60 whats next?
By tmorgan4 on 09/13/06 10:25 AM (PDT)

2004 Volvo S60 Sedan T5 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

I've had the 850, S70 and now the S60 and this is probably the best car i've ever driven. Great on gas mileage,probably the most seductive sedan on the market and fun to drive. Pound for pound this might be the best european sedan on the market! I love everything about it, I can't even imagine what the next generation s60 will be like.

Love Car, No So Dealer
By MAE on 08/03/06 16:01 PM (PDT)

2004 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I adore this car, it's comfortable and sporty and I got all the bells & whistles under dealer invoice because I bought a fleet model off the floor. My only complaint is my "sneaky" dealership in Summit NJ and added fee for the extended warranty which I thought was included w/a certified pre- owned. I didn't catch it until too late - anyone else have this experience???